Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a question at 2:01AM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no fucking clue what to do with my life. Wich is what im doing right now with it Wink

But i'll probably just end up doing some stupid 9-5 job, marrying a stupid wife wich i don't really like but hey, im supposed to do that, we'll get kids wich will be stupid as well 'cause i don't like changing diapers/them crying all night, with a familly wich does nothing wrong but i dislike them anyways and all that because i don't have the guts to do something about it.

gogo life...
Bart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what drives me at the moment. The only reason that I chose the study I'm doing now is that it doesn't pin me down on one type of job later.

Further I'd like to see myself as altru´stic and good, but in reality I hardly go out of my way to help people I don't know and some of the good stuff I do for friends might just be because I lack backbone to refuse to help them.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in some ways, i've just fallen in to what i do - looking back, there are probably a number of ways i could have gone, and been just as happy.

starting when i was 7, my family used to spend some time on the maine coast, for vacation. i really loved to wander around on the rocks and check out all the stuff in the tidepools. i wanted to learn more about them, so i started reading - and i was a fairly intelligent child, so i managed some fairly advanced reading.

as a result of this, when adults asked me what i wanted to be, i would say "an ichthyologist". i immediately observed that a) most adult apparently had no idea what this was and b) they had no followup. so they went away and stopped asking me stupid questions. (this is also one of those things, along with early exposure to "pogo", that has lead to my failure to automatically respect authority).

somehow, this evolved into a commitment to actually become a marine biologist, and i followed this up through graduate school. turns out, i have a good science brain - curious, logical, methodical. and i like science. i spent a few years working for a consulting company that did oceanographic work. while i was there, i got more and more into being a programmer/analyst. when i decided i had to leave the company, i applied for a job about which i knew absolutely nothing, except they wanted someone good in the programming language i use. turned out to be in a group that does population studies on cancer prevention - very far from what i trained for, and not something i would ever have planned. but i have found, over time, that it matters to me that i do something of some value to society - this clearly fits that (as did the work i did for the consulting company). it also matters to me that i work someplace interesting, with good people who appreciate me - and i have that. it satisfies my science itch - i get to poke and probe the data, and try to make sense of it. doesn't pay a fortune, but i'm comfortable (that helps, too).

a lot of what's important to me now are things i learned along the way of getting here. when i was in school, i didn't have a conscious value of "doing things that are good for the world" (although i'd like to think that's been a part of my nature) - but once i was out in the world, considering jobs, i found that there are some professions i could not justify working in, just because, to me, they seem exploitative or superficial. the value of being part of a team did not become evident until i worked for an extremely disfunctional one. and just being happy with who i am makes me appreciate that.

does that help?
LD!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERRG ARG fuck now you made me think and I have no clue why I do stuff and what I want to do!!>
DOwn the slippery slope of nihilism I go!
nathan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Benny wrote:
I'm on my path because it's the path of least resistance.

there's no inspirational movie here, move along.

Word for word.

I honestly can't remember the last time I felt inspired by anything beyond my next meal choice.

(Thai, if you're wondering)
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostly I'm motivated by a desire to make my life better, as I went thru a few years of often not quite being able to survive but being just weirdly lucky enough to make it thru. I want to be in a place where I can be generous to people again.

I also don't want to be an asshole, because that's how I view my father
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have for the last two years managed to keep myself in a somewhat itinerant lifestyle. Having worked professionally as a writer, actor, admin assistant, marketing officer, event organiser, stage manager, bump-in/bump-out manager, music night host, tutor, and now REINDEER and I absolutely love it. The fact that in one week I will make and spend $500 an the next week I will make $20 and be totally poor is completely outweighed by the fact that I am always doing something different and have little chance to get bored because everything happens too quickly.

For 2007 I look to go from itinerant to nomad itinerant, and get out of this town as much as possible. Keep my base here, but do all I can to work for other companies around the country. So far plans are going well.

Does anyone else have plans to alter their paths next year? Maybe curve it a little to the left? Or jump ship entirely? WHAT SAY YOU?
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all goes well... I'm leaving the country next year. So yeah Very Happy
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:

Does anyone else have plans to alter their paths next year? Maybe curve it a little to the left? Or jump ship entirely? WHAT SAY YOU?

next year i will be finance director for a major local charitable organization, finally using numbers for the forces of good.
Dro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a little conflicted thinking about this all. I could go the "I LOVE to help others learn" route, and there is some truth to that. I could go the "things happen, I don't know" route and there is some truth to that. I never had a conscious desire to do biology research, like some 8 year olds who are convinced they will be a doctor or a singer. But I must have had some innate drive to do that -- I had a caricature drawn when I was 8 and there was a microscope and an amoeba next to me. I must have requested that, for some reason. But I didn't know about "academia" even in college. No one in my family or anyone I knew got a PhD, so I was totally clueless when I went to graduate school. Mostly I followed my girlfriend at the time, who was going to medical school. So that was pretty lucky, I guess, because I loved being in the lab, talking to people, thinking, doing experiments. So I just kept doing it because I liked it. I feel the same things that Hadley wrote about, which is funny because my job is the same job every day. But the content every day is something new. I mean new. Never seen before new. I really like that.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked something. I had to. I'm in college and studying engineering which isn't my favorite. I'm decent at math but terrible at statics and mechanics of materials. So why do I continue? I need a degree in something that will pay me. Engineering is always in demand. I think I will get my minor in industrial psychology and maybe end up in consulting (I might like that) but as of right now I am just going but I go or I die.

Having some time to catch up on the growth of me is also a big help. Being stunted in how to deal with people because the learning curve was too steep to get anywhere isn't fun. I just wish I was further along. However, at least being on the way to point B is good.

And it is so cool to hear about what people are doing. I am facinated. I really didn't have a good grasp of what mouse did and hearing a tad more about Dro was too cool. And the rest of you of course (REINDEER!!!).

G. Looking Out

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a real job is the best way to get up the motivation to go back and get your advanced schooling. I'm paying down (somewhat) the debts I gathered working for Americorp (giving of myself) by working another giving of myself job. I will most likely be doing this for another year. In the summer, I will travel, and by next summer, I will be ready for law school. In the mean time, its about time I got engaged to be married, so what do you think, diamond or no diamond? (im morally outraged by the diamond trade).
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G. Looking Out wrote:
so what do you think, diamond or no diamond? (im morally outraged by the diamond trade).

i bought an estate ring, if that option would make any difference for you.
G. Looking Out

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<shrug> I've certainly thought about it. Uncertain provance aside, I am still pissed re: 1. the artificial inflation of the diamond market 2. the disgusting advertising they do 3. the bias against lab created diamonds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: