welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tin Pan Alley: the Musician's Ghetto
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Usagi Miyamoto



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2225
Location: wish you were here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a
_________________
The reward for a good life is a good life.


Last edited by Usagi Miyamoto on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dusty



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 650

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usagi Miyamoto wrote:
John Mytton wrote:
Couldn't many mispronounciations of Japanese words ultimately stem from poor Romanization?


The Romanization of Japanese is actually very regular, but the problem arises because while Japanese will only have a single pronunciation for a given vowel, the English heuristics for vowel pronunciation may lead to different ones, producing our weird outcomes.

Japanese has only a few vowels and regular dipthongs:
A as in father,
E as in best,
I as in pink,
O as in both,
U as in dude.
Curiously these are almost identical with the common Italian pronunciations.
Japanese will often use lengthened vowels, which can be romanized in a couple of ways:
If you see aa, then it's pronounced like a, but held longer. If you see ee or ei then it's pronounced much like the sound in hey. An ii is like an i only longer, an oo or ou is a longer o, and uu is a longer u. Sometimes the doubled vowel is written with a bar or macron or circumflex over the vowel, but it means to hold it longer, not to change its pronunciation.

So, karaoke is kah-rah-okay instead of carry-okie, harakiri is hah-rah-key-ree, not hairy-carry. Your Nikon camera is pronounced knee-cone in Japan, and the futon you sleep on is pronounced to rhyme with stone.

/pedantry>


this is a simpler way of writing what all my books say. Good refresher!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thewaitersitsondown



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2673
Location: The walrus was Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of MUSIC RELATED DISCUSSION in this thread?
GET OUT OF MY THREAD DAMMIT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Dinosaursareback!



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it count that I somehow managed to get every major album released by radio head?

that kind of counts as music, right?

I'm gonna go drop some acid now, that seems like the musician way of getting things done.
_________________
HOORAY, NOW I ONLY NEED 45% TO BE AS COOL AS FRED!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thewaitersitsondown



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2673
Location: The walrus was Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and fuck yes.
You win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Dinosaursareback!



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers!
_________________
HOORAY, NOW I ONLY NEED 45% TO BE AS COOL AS FRED!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 589
Location: Don't look up! (Damn pigeons...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewaitersitsondown wrote:
Ok, two things. First, Flion, I messed around on your more complicated bass track, which was cool, but my timing sucks. Here's what I was able to come up with, 's alright but not great. I'm much better at playing with people live. Razz

Linky

Second, just for kicks I did a cover of My Beloved Monster by the Eels. (If you've seen Shrek, you'll probably recognise it) The quality is horrible, but it was fun to do and you guys can all hear me sing (if not particularly well.)

Linky 2


Your second link doesn't support your 'timing sucks' theory. I think you are just used to reading physical cues from your rythm section. *sigh* I guess I'll have to figure out how to do a video... Anyway, it sounds like the skeleton for a song. Lyrics, vocals, and a drum track and we can try to put together a Sinfest collaboration. Razz
_________________
Halen wrote:
The reason that "people actually see the points people make" = "people agree with me" is because I. Am. Right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Neo.Shroom



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 367
Location: Canaduh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've broken out my electric guitar again...I never actually properly learned how to play, just messing around with my computer as an amp/effects...

Suggestions for what I NEED to learn how to play?
_________________
Forcibly adopted by Varst...
-WooJ!-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
HamletSr



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 241
Location: The Illustrated Guide to Diagnostic Tests

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:

I care very deeply about my friends on the sinfest forum, and I don't want them misprouncings words.


Oh, yeah, now i understand why you care so deeply, its for all of our sakes. point conceded I will now say Kara-Okay or whatever the fuck you want me to say when i go to a kareoke bar. you know what convinced me? it was when you called me a fucktard. nothing like a perjorative to really let your concern for my pronunciation shine. in the same spirit, i would just like to say that you sir, are an ass-licking nanny goat. Which translated loosly to, I wish you all the best in life Wink [/b]

edit- apologies for this having nothing to do with music, as kareoke doesnt count.
_________________
-HamletSr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thewaitersitsondown



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2673
Location: The walrus was Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flion wrote:
thewaitersitsondown wrote:
Ok, two things. First, Flion, I messed around on your more complicated bass track, which was cool, but my timing sucks. Here's what I was able to come up with, 's alright but not great. I'm much better at playing with people live. Razz

Linky

Second, just for kicks I did a cover of My Beloved Monster by the Eels. (If you've seen Shrek, you'll probably recognise it) The quality is horrible, but it was fun to do and you guys can all hear me sing (if not particularly well.)

Linky 2


Your second link doesn't support your 'timing sucks' theory. I think you are just used to reading physical cues from your rythm section. *sigh* I guess I'll have to figure out how to do a video... Anyway, it sounds like the skeleton for a song. Lyrics, vocals, and a drum track and we can try to put together a Sinfest collaboration. Razz


You're probably right. If I feel inspired, I may mess around a bit more and see if I can get a slightly better track. We shall see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Flion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 589
Location: Don't look up! (Damn pigeons...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo.Shroom wrote:
So I've broken out my electric guitar again...I never actually properly learned how to play, just messing around with my computer as an amp/effects...

Suggestions for what I NEED to learn how to play?

A band. You don't want to start one; find one that needs a rhythm guitarist. Preferably one that the lead can show you stuff but is not too advanced for you to keep up with. When you learn all that you can, find another band. It sounds disloyal, but at that level the bands rarely stay together anyway. When you're good enough to have a keeper band, then you can find some bandmates who are also ready and form what will hopefully be a keeper. Anyway, nothing increases your learning speed like having to keep up with others.
_________________
Halen wrote:
The reason that "people actually see the points people make" = "people agree with me" is because I. Am. Right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fhqwhgads



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 1337
Location: sfcaus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flion wrote:
Anyway, nothing increases your learning speed like having to keep up with others.

Heedeth the man, for he speaketh the truth.
_________________
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. Starting now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrew



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 4495
Location: the raging sea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamletSr wrote:
andrew wrote:

I care very deeply about my friends on the sinfest forum, and I don't want them misprouncings words.


Oh, yeah, now i understand why you care so deeply, its for all of our sakes. point conceded I will now say Kara-Okay or whatever the fuck you want me to say when i go to a kareoke bar. you know what convinced me? it was when you called me a fucktard. nothing like a perjorative to really let your concern for my pronunciation shine. in the same spirit, i would just like to say that you sir, are an ass-licking nanny goat. Which translated loosly to, I wish you all the best in life Wink [/b]

edit- apologies for this having nothing to do with music, as kareoke doesnt count.


Deliberately obtuse misreadings/misquotes and offense at a pejorative in response to your incredible fuckwiticisms? Hooray, another moron to add to the list of people-whose-posts-I-can-safely-ignore.

If you see someone stabbing you in the jaw, it's probably me.

/derail
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 10690

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listening to Robert Johnson for the very first time, the guy only recorded 29 songs but appears to have included every blues cliche ever played, kinda makes all other blues unnecessary, not that I mind Wink

any blues fanatics out there who feel that the genre has actually progressed since 1937?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spanky



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 842
Location: Rockville, MD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shit, the blues may not be recognized so much in popular music, but it has had a profound effect on all music as we know it. Especially rock. Robert Johnson is great. Check out BB King too. The guy is pretty awesome.

Oh, and I found my irish tin flute in my garage today! Cheap and fun, great instrument!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group