welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tin Pan Alley: the Musician's Ghetto
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamletSr wrote:
Oh oh, I have a statistic. Less than 1% of people could give a fuck about how you pronounce japanese words.

It's obviously important enough that it's merited several posts thusfar. Any more braindead statistics to flaunt, or were you going back under the bridge now?

Quote:
Furthermore, 99% of people agree that arguing about pronunciation on an Internet forum is patently ridiculous, since we are typing, not talking. The word you are looking for is most likely "spelling".

Typing is an approximation of talking. And since "karaoke" was misspelled in a way that suggests the classic mispronunciation (kareoke) in the first place, you're still a fucktard.

Quote:
Finally, the case could be made the most popular spelling (the one most widely in use) is the correct one, as is often the case with relatively new, imported words.

The word is usually spelled correctly and pronounced incorrectly; hence part of the confusion.

Quote:
I look forward to your long-winded, pointless, nippon-o-phile harangue

I look forward to ignoring any and all posts by you, forever! We BOTH get something to look forward to!

Where's the party emoticon when you need it...
Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you guys realize you are arguing and being internet-angry at each other at the spelling/pronounciation of ka-la-ok?

which is how the people in taiwan pronounces the damn word.

fuck, even in a direct translation we still can't say the "r"...

but for sheezy, isn't karaoke all about good times?
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I read what Uncle Benny wrote:
did you guys realize you are arguing and being internet-angry at each other at the spelling/pronounciation of ka-la-ok?

which is how the
people in taiwan pronounces the damn word.

fuck, even in a direct translation we still can't say the "r"...

but fo
r sheezy, isn't karaoke all about good times!
Fhqwhgads

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Michael FTW.
Bodhisattva

Location: Currently Chicago, but variable in the near future.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
I've never heard anyone on the mainland correctly pronounce "karaoke" (or "tamagochi" or "karate" or "pokemon" for that matter). Oh, no, I take that back. All of my friends now say those the right way, but they overemphasize and give me a look because they're teasing.

Anyway, to steer us toward the original topic, this is me and my koto. My sister and her two friends are on the sanshin, and my brother is helping us sing. It was a little thing we did for my sister's graduation party. The family got a kick out of it.

(In case you happen to know anything about koto, no, I'm not holding my arm the right way. I've been out of lessons for far too long.)

I'm impressed. I'd love to learn more about your experiences with the koto and how it is played.

As for the "how to pronounce 'karaoke' debate", it's possible that I'm spoiled in that I live in a major metropolitan area where it is regularly pronounced both correctly and incorrectly, I have taken an active interest in Japanese culture and I've sung a few songs in Japanese (my music professors in undergraduate and grad school drilled into me the importance of actually learning how to pronounce the words I'm singing correctly). Perhaps those are a few anecdotal reasons why I'm inclined to believe that maybe people in the Midwest actually know something about it.

Benny, you're right. Karaoke is about good times. I wish I got to do it more often than I do. We should try to find a place to sing Karaoke when we're out in Wyoming...
* Proud adopter of the former newbies Lasairfiona, bottm_angel and trustedfaith.
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a rough wma. I switched to the electric as I'm not going to be able to get a new D until tomorrow. Apologies for the quality.

Linky
Flion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A'ight, it'll take me awhile; probably this weekend 'cause I have an exam tomorrow. I'd also like to here a melody track; who was doing the vocal? I don't want to go one way and the vocals another...
Sklent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't watch that without hearing "I Hate Myself And Want To Die" by Nirvana.
Fhqwhgads

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't hit the server for some reason. Sad
Fhqwhgads

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an unrelated note: If you're into this sort of thing, this little applet is pure crack.
Flion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is my quick take on a bass line for you. I tried to keep it simple, especially as I was having difficulty with distinguishing some of the rythm patterns. Also, there was a spot between 1:25 and 1:40 where something happened (I know, you said it was a rough cut) and I couldn't quite smooth it out. This is the straight mixdown, no balancing or level adjustment. I could send you the cakewalk project if you want to remix; it's about 55MB.

This is a busier bass line that was inspired by your track; try playing over it and see what you think. I tried to keep the same general pattern of the arrangement. Excuse the obvious flub at about :40 and the general rough quality.
Sklent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to play a 12-string bass yesterday. It was murder on my hands, but even unplugged it sounded awesome.
John Mytton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't many mispronounciations of Japanese words ultimately stem from poor Romanization?
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, two things. First, Flion, I messed around on your more complicated bass track, which was cool, but my timing sucks. Here's what I was able to come up with, 's alright but not great. I'm much better at playing with people live. Razz

Linky

Second, just for kicks I did a cover of My Beloved Monster by the Eels. (If you've seen Shrek, you'll probably recognise it) The quality is horrible, but it was fun to do and you guys can all hear me sing (if not particularly well.)

Linky 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: