welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The creator slumbers. 12/17/06
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6566

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toteone wrote:
(OK then. I was editing until I found someone posting something new. I think I made a final edit though.)

Hmmmm... I'd call it less of a 'poor argument' then a summary of wide-ranging arguments. I can defend my intelligence if I want, but I'm going to leave it for namecalling. I doubt I'm ignorant (people usually call me the opposite IRL, but who knows, maybe you have a point and I am not sufficiently knowledgeable about the issues in question), as I see it I have different sources and schooling then you (public & private & some religious) and have read different litterature through life.

Your argument is... scattered to say the least, this is something I personally find 'poor' as your points are getting totally lost in a very confusing mix.

Also, it is striking me as ignorant because you make a -lot- of assumptions about extremely large groups of people. In any context, this is ignorance, because large groups of people are pretty damn hard to pin down in little boxes like that.


Last edited by Samsally on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in stating that my use of the word "evil" constitutes a call to religious objection, you most certainly did make exactly that argument.

Last edited by Major Tom on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toteone



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toteone wrote:
Toteone wrote:
Well, religions are the main bastions of classifying evil. If I indeed said 'gay people have AIDS because they are evil' I would be evoking religion. I didn't say it anyway. I think it's a bit presumptious to 'know what God thinks' other then by the holy books per religion.

Philosophical morality does too, but not as much or as intensely.

...
Ummm, it's not really relevant but it would be a nice floor swipe (of an argument) if I was feeling guilty, but I don't so I suppose one might get back to calling me a Pharisee. Wink


Here is the post in question. Note the underlining.
I think it's pretty clear that religions usually are the first and the most intense to call someone or something or some act as evil.

Philosophical morality does too, but not as much or as intensely.

Thus I did write that philosophical morality does classify things as evil, but are not usually as vigorous or intense about it.


requoted

It is hard to pin down a large group, but I'm not going for the individuals, but the statistics of the group as large.


...so I need a pause to get materials.. It could take a few days, depending on IRL work.


As for being scattered. I guess I might apologize for that. It's Aspies, ADHD and a norm-referenced intelligence outside the norm. The first makes me see things more in the black and white then normal and focus on it, ADHD makes me messy and creative and skitterish and the intelligence issue (135) makes me see things from a wide arc of view, not that it makes it more likely to be correct.


Last edited by Toteone on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahahahhh, don't forget this one -- the one where you made your incredibly weak assumption.

Toteone wrote:
I inserted that gay men get AIDS a lot because it's a health argument. I don't remember connotating religious factors on to it, but maybe I did.


you are not worth speaking with. you strike me as pointedly dishonest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toteone



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You strike me as pointedly condemning.

Where's the dishonesty? The above quote states that I do not believe I made the assumption but allows for the chance that I just might have, without remembering it.

I don't think you're worth my time either, but I felt a reply should be made for the sake of what other people might find.

While they might or might not disagree with me I believe they will find you to be mean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6566

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gunna take a wild stab at this one and say its in that quote he put in the middle of his post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toteone



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
ahahahhh, don't forget this one -- the one where you made your incredibly weak assumption.

Toteone wrote:
I inserted that gay men get AIDS a lot because it's a health argument. I don't remember connotating religious factors on to it, but maybe I did.


you are not worth speaking with. you strike me as pointedly dishonest.


Oh that, it was made in reply to the first accusations, I'm working from my base posts.

Anyway, his first post was a flame, it's a bit weak to assert that he's mean from it but he sure seems to be mean to me. It might just be that my personal sensibilities offended his and this is his way of responding?


I'll find some statistics and get with it later.


Anyho, a little survey was made and around 90% of people are honest, it's highly unlikely that I would be dishonest. The survey is from 'Freakonomics'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toteone



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go ahead and claim the moral high ground of the debate versus Major Tom by being the one not to flame the opponents and resort to fundamental accusations targeted on an opponent's honesty.

I'm not saying you necessarily believe in liberalism, but in the event you will be back to read this, if you believe in your liberal values then do not those include openmindedness?

You started your accusations by ending the post with 'ass'. Why not make a polite point on what you perceive as my negative qualities rather then degenerate to namecalling. That is no way to conduct a civilized discussion.

-later (with the vaunted statistics/proof).


So why is it if someone disagrees with you they are dishonest? I did post that I have Aspies, ADHD and a 135+ norm-referenced IQ (and I'm not using it as an argument, but since I already mentioned my Aspies and ADHD I thought it should be there as well, and it makes me feel a little bit more secure when people say I'm not worth speaking too). Sometimes people see things differently then you.
I'm ready for the fact that I might be wrong,

I suppose I simply expected people here on the forums to prove me wrong emotionally, not ATTACK me emotionally. Well ok, you did both, by person.

Then again, on the bright side, I kind of must've embaressed Major Tom by posting that thread in general. And I've done my duty by spreading the word:

ORGIES are wrong!


Last edited by Toteone on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6566

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toteone wrote:
Anyho, it was long overdue to join this cool-assed forum. ;^_=


... Are you sure you're in the right place? Because, fer serious, this is pretty standard stuff. I mean, Tom's not really acting out of the ordinary here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toteone



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, thanks for not flaming me, and I respect ure opinions, u might be right, I'll think it over.

Yep, I'm totally wrong for this forum, just got off my antidepressant pills too.

For sure you are far more clear in your arguments then I will ever be without Ritalin, in this manner you do win. Well I saw how things were in the General Discussion Forum, like a chibi-version of Slightly Damned the webcomic.

Leaving
sayonara
and thanks



Eh, I never got around to it but 'Freakonomics' is an excellent source and I google'd orgie... yes, I know... no time.

http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=en&q=orgies&meta=

goodbye
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't more of this type leave as quickly as he did?

Very amusing.

_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CTrees



Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 3772

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Quote:
But shouldn't we wrap up health issues first?
.....

In a condensed form of argument:
Sexually transmitted diseases are much less likely to spread with monogamous partners. For all the much vaunted arguments of personal responsibility, people who partake in orgies are less likely to be careful, I'm not saying they can't be, but that's it's unlikely. So you win on personal health, I should have specified that as well earlier. But on a collective scale it is a very bad thing.

Prove to me that 'people who partake in orgies are less likely to be careful' because you're totally making a judgement about a decent sized group of people based on... god only knows what, an assumption, I'm guessing.


Okay, I realize full well that the plural of anecdote is not data, but I know a fair amount of people who partake in orgies (here defined as sexual congress with more than three total participants), and they're far more careful than the norm for the whole cross section of people I know about precautions with procreation and transmission of disease. Just sayin'

Toteone wrote:
The above quote states that I do not believe I made the assumption but allows for the chance that I just might have, without remembering it.


It's a forum. You can go back and reread to see if you did or not. This is pretty basic.

Toteone wrote:
Leaving
sayonara
and thanks


Shades of "I've had enough, this ends now," or simply an inexplicable need to inform us that he's going to be AFK for a while? I'm actually curious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6566

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's actually left for good. The General Discussion forum scared him away. He didn't realize the people of Sinfest are mean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CoolChristian



Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Posts: 360

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that entire post was very confusing....he like came out of no where, posted nothing, and then left....but anyway, i like how he house's expression changes in the last three frames.
_________________
--Christianity with a touch of logic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6566

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolChristian wrote:
....but anyway, i like how he house's expression changes in the last three frames.


Me, too! I wish I was that good with drawing expressions, they are quite amusing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group