welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sinfesters' Pet Picture Post!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flion wrote:
Nothing difficult about bathing cats. In fact, they secretly like it. Case in point: Cats In Sinks.

ok, important point. just because _we_ perceive sinks as containers for water does not mean cats do the same. cats see sinks as cool places that fit them rather well, and occupancy of which prevents us from doing whatever it was we thought we were going to do. the fact that most cats like sinks does _not_ equate to most cats liking to be bathed (by anyone other than themselves or another cat).

i have known only 1 cat who liked water. as a kitten, he was thrown into the (full) bathtub by my brother (aged about 3 at the time). it is true that, for the rest of his life, he would throw himself into filled tubs, however, i tend to think this was due less to some inherent cat desire for water, as to some sort of psychological disorder caused by trauma.

certainly, none of the other cats of my acquaintance (and there have been many) have viewed baths as anything other than a personal assault on their personal persons, to be treated as same.
Amilam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I remember having to restrain our cat by placing my hands firmly behind its neck and shoulders so the thing wouldn't leap and shred everything in its path. I then had to lift him up by the scruff of his neck and wrap him with two towels before setting him on the floor and letting him go being of course careful not to stand between him and the bed he inevitably darted under. I've seen animal experts on the discovery channel take fewer precautions with snakes and gators.
Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocForbin wrote:
This is my cat Laptop, who lives at the print shop my family owns. We took him in three years ago in a cold, wet, rainy day in June when he was being chased by a big, black cat. He leaped into my stepfather's car, and the rest is history.

Lappy's all right, but sometimes he thinks he's a cougar and tries to attack us. Shocked

lovely cat there, champ.

do me a favor though, change your av, the quality's really bad and it's kind of... not kosher, you dig?

seriously, that's a cool cat, now just change the av, dog, it scares me due to the blurries.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse, do you have a shower massage attachment on your shower, by any chance? Every cat I've bathed actually settled down a bit once you were gently spraying them with warm water. And I don't let the poor things run off afterwards by themselves. They get all cold and shivery. Thus, hating all future encounters with the bath. If you immediately wrap them in a towel and hold them on your lap, gently drying them off while securely wrapped in the towel the whole time, that's the best part for the cat. My cat Moo didn't leap into the shower with me, but she'd peek around the shower curtain and watch. Then, when it was her turn, she'd yowl, but settle down pretty quickly once I got the handheld shower going.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always set up a little bed made out of a heating pad and towel for our kitty after her yearly bath (in our defence for giving her one, she's always sucked at cleaning herself). We didn't want to be clawed to hell, and she would always settle down and dry on the warm towel.
bottm_angel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what's so difficult about giving a cat a bath. I've never had problems; in fact the current cat (Socrates) loves water. He just hates the drying off process.

Flion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse, the part you quoted was humor. The serious part followed. Like I said, there is a knack to it. Few cats enjoy being wet, but most will put up, if gracelessly, with being bathed. On the other hand, I seem to recall that there is a breed that actually enjoys water and swimming. Hmmm, I'll have to look it up to see if my memory is playing tricks.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These do:

Turkish Van

Well, they like swimming.

Although not necessarily like bathing.

FAQ wrote:
Since Turkish Vans like water, do they like to be bathed? not necessarily. Being soaped, lathered and rinsed is not the same thing as swimming. Most of our cats have been very tolerant of baths and actually like standing in a tub of warm water. There are others though that are a real challenge to bathe.

This one is even under water:

Last edited by Natashabi on Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
bun bun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Harvey.

He will play fetch with thread bobbins. My father adores him. He is, in my opinion, the most adorable cat on Earth.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUZZY! I just want to rub his belly lots and lots.
Sklent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an artsy shot of my cat Artoo, which is the only one I have handy. She likes roll around on the ground while I pet her neck, but she's kind of stupid so she'll end up juuuust out of my reach when she flops down.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sklent wrote:

This is an artsy shot of my cat Artoo, which is the only one I have handy. She likes roll around on the ground while I pet her neck, but she's kind of stupid so she'll end up juuuust out of my reach when she flops down.

Haha my cat Flea is just like that. Is there a D2 anywhere?
Flion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sklent wrote:
*image*

That's a cat game known to humans as "Kitty-come-here". I finally trained Lunch out of it by refusing to play; when he rolls out of reach, the petting stops.

I am curious, though. "Artoo"? Is your cat a talker? Lunch makes an amazing range of chirps and purrs and meows, and I can see someone comparing that to the articulate robot from Star Wars. I've only had one other cat that was like that; mostly he'd chirp alot. At bedtime, it was amusing to hear him; he'd hit the foot of the bed with a chirp and with every footfall there'd be another syncronized chirp until he collapsed in his spot with a final loud chirp-Ooomph! I teased him for it (not that he cared or understood) but I missed it when he was gone.
scillystuff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we even used "Dirty Rat" to shampoo them Smile

bottm_angel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scillystuff, aw, what cute rats Smile I use to have quite a few! They make great pets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: