Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading . . . . Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: forget flying cars, where's my matter compiler? Reply with quote

Usagi Miyamoto wrote:
If you haven't read Cryptonomicon yet, it's worthy of your time. In a way, the libertarian-tinged cypherpunk and cryptocurrency stuff has become dated in our post-9/11, Dogecoin world, but it still makes for an interesting read and has some seeds of the ideas in the "prequel", the Baroque Cycle. On the downside, it too drops a lot of threads when it just sort of ends. Stephenson got pretty irked when people complained that he didn't know how to write an ending, but at least he started making more effort in that regard for the Baroque Cycle.

I read Cryptonomicon some time ago, after reading The Baroque Cycle, and my primary joy and residual memory from the book was in seeing 20th century version of Robert Shaftoe et al.

Didn't realise Diamond Age was actually as old as it is. I only got it on a whim. I'll keep trucking.
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I read - because I'm smart & cool & have a moustache and yeah I look old but that's not true, I'm still smart & cool & young, The Coog Approves, etc - I'm on a third 'read' of Infinite Jest. (Read it about eight years ago, dipped in a number of times, listened to the audiobook whilst I was overseas, started a close read a few days ago).

Anyone interested in a discussion thread of the book? I'm back at about page 76, but this time I'm paying actual attention. Like, read and finally appreciated all of end note 24 type attention.

Of course, I wouldn't dream of spoiling the book for any who hasn't read it, but I've been typing notes on my yushityu Interlace TP keyboard, and I think this 3rd & a half reading might lead me to joining most of the dots.

And but so, anyone tackling this badboy this spring?
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: I've got to say, that's Reply with quote

a supposedly fun thing I'll never do again.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard the book's title is referential to the experience of reading it.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear, david foster wallace....one of those people whose stuff i should really read, and yet somehow never do.

i suppose i could give it a try, but i am notorious for Not Keeping Up with the Group.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
oh dear, david foster wallace....one of those people whose stuff i should really read, and yet somehow never do.

i suppose i could give it a try, but i am notorious for Not Keeping Up with the Group.

His short non-fiction is well worth a go, Mouse. Plenty of his essays are available to read online.

WoC is right, as usual ... as I say, I'm re-reading, and reading discussions online etc, and enjoying the book as much as I ever have, if not more; however, each reading does leave you thinking 'If I read it again, I'll figure it all out ...' which may never happen. So a book about a piece of media that compels it's subject to experience it over and over becomes a piece of media that (should) compel it's subject (the reader) to experience it over and over again.

My latest reading might be a Quixotic endeavor, as Usagi skillyfully implies, but I'm looking forward to it.

Or just read the chapter from Tina Fey's Bossypants titled A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, Either

Or wait for my yet-to-be-written, game changing literary cross-over work of the millenium: John Carpenter's A Supposedly Fun The Thing I'll Never Do Again. Available in no good book stores, or even any book stores whatsoever.
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a copy of Neil Gaiman's novelization of his own teleplay(s) from the TV series Neverwhere and am reading that.
It's the Youessian version, hence the "z".

I have previously seen the show and read the comic adaptation (which came after the novel and I believe adapts the novel and not the show)

In a kind of reverse [i]Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy[i] there's also a radio show that came last and a stage version that was in there before, but I don't believe there's a record album or a towel

unfortunately it's far too late for Douglas Adams to write a fun little guidebook for the various incarnations to complete the connections
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Contact and perhaps it's more telling about me than the author that I have to keep stopping to get over all the Carl Sagan in it. Just because I have a small library of his non-fiction, it's hard to breeze through the actual story when I keep recognizing where his Carl Saganness on a particular topic crops up.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Confederacy Of Dunces ... anyone who wants my copy can have it, I read chapter one and I'm done. I knew Ignatius was supposed to be a buffoon, but in the one chapter I read he was awful to his mother AND his bar-tender, so unless chapter two starts with him having a massive stroke, I won't read on. That fat fuck can go play in traffic.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be reading Kafka's Metamorphosis, because I would like to read people's thoughts on that story through the lens of chronic disability, and I'd like to know what I'm talking about first.

Just did a brief search, and it looks like there are tons of analyses of it.

Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I'm going to be reading Kafka's Metamorphosis, because I would like to read people's thoughts on that story through the lens of chronic disability, and I'd like to know what I'm talking about first.

Just did a brief search, and it looks like there are tons of analyses of it.

I felt like reading that again, but I got out the wrong side of bed and couldn't.

I also have some awesome jokes about L'Etranger and beach holidays too!

I also am available to spoil all eight of the endings to Italo Calvino's 'If On A Winter's Night A Traveler ...'

I also know who really wrote Jorges Luis Borges' 'Pierre Menard Author of Don Quixote'!

I can also point out which of the Seven Pillars of Wisdom are actually just steps, and which are load baring bullshit.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a treasure and a delight!

Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kafka is definately worth reading, but never ever dwell on Kafka. Really, there are very little 'lessons' to be learned from his writing. He's like a Roller Coaster that you've got to get on ... but his only way is down.

To paraphrase The Big Lebowski: 'You're not wrong, Franz, you're just a massive downer.'
baronskippy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Naked God" Peter F. Hamilton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248
Page 248 of 248

Jump to: