welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've been robbed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::lots of hugs for Kristi:: I am very, very glad your necklace wasn't stolen after all.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't really matter what the necklace was worth in dollar terms, it was important for emotional reasons - and i'm really glad to hear it wasn't taken after all (now see - surely _that_ has to count as good luck!)

but being robbed really sucks. and it _is_ rather stupid - whatever they take will be worth more to you than they could ever get from it. crooks aren't really known for their smarts, however.

my local sheriff's office has a community service officer (or some title like that) who will come look over your place with an eye to how secure it is - had that done a year ago, and it was a real eye-opener. she had some really good suggestions - you (and everyone else) might see if your local law enforcement people will do something similar. they know all the best locks and what the most vulnerable places are, and sometimes there are fixes that are real cheap and easy to do yourself.

anyway - sorry to hear about it and hope they catch the guy, fris.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mantismag wrote:
god damn that sucks. i hate people. what's the point in stealing DVDs? for minimal cost you could have a sustainable business selling DVDs without having to steal them from people. and with all the people out there turning out high quality copies how much money could they possibly get from selling those?

probably something they could take to a CD/DVD store that buys used, and turn them around for drug money really fast. ditto for the jewelry (Pawn shop).

This reminds me that I have lonbg been meaning to take photos of my valuables for easy reference if I ever got robbed. Tho I've never been robbed in all my years on the planet, knock wood.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

but being robbed really sucks. and it _is_ rather stupid - whatever they take will be worth more to you than they could ever get from it. crooks aren't really known for their smarts, however.

Uh, criminals not taking into account how their victim is feeling is hardly indicative of a lack of intelligence.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: *hic* urrf, aqua fresca Reply with quote

Howdy all -- I'm with Kristi.

I got to survey the damage firsthand! It all mostly looks fine. Some tool got away with some pawnable DVD's and a box of no-market-value jewelry. And a phone, which was stolen about the same time I lost my internet. Go figure.

I got to witness firsthand the .. um, efficiency of Kristi's security system, which can be bypassed with tools like a 'king soopers card.'
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means you are there to install deadbolts, right? Install them and then have the landlord reimburse (even if he doesn't, it is still a good idea). Wait, is the door and frame strong enough to make it worth installing deadbolts?
ZiGz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear Fris,

Listen to my stupidity last week: Left my laptop in the back seat of my car, left the car parked on the street all weekend. Neither of which is something I usually do. Monday morning back door is unlocked and laptop, ashtray and everything in glovebox is gone.

After having to tell my boss I lost the laptop and all my CDs tools etc it was replaced after much ass ripping (well not too much surprisingly my own guilt was worse).

Couple days later: My wife comes back in the house while I am still sleeping yelling at me because get this: I left my laptop on the hood of her car all night (my little girl pulled me into backyard to play right after work and I just forgot it) Even though it wasn't stolen I had such a weird awful feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I am very absent minded like that (see: avatar) I left my wallet on roof of car once and bumper of car once and both times had it returned to me intact, so I am absent-minded and usually lucky.

****adopted by Halfpint****
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:
mouse wrote:

Uh, criminals not taking into account how their victim is feeling is hardly indicative of a lack of intelligence.

no - the fact that they put themselves at risk for stuff that's not worth much on the open market is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: