Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Indie Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laughterheals

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: The Indie Thread Reply with quote

Please share the movies, musicians, and anything else you enjoy that is 'indie'-related. Listen, watch, and discuss!

Uh, if you're into the sound of Rock n Roll, these guys are pretty decent. Give them a listen and share what you think?

I'm interested in knowing what you all recommend and enjoy.
richardtock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't get anymore indie then Belle And Sebastian. Listen to Belle And Sebastian. And Blur. And Pulp. And The Shins, and watch Brick and The Royal Tenenbaums. Then read some Murakami and read Catcher In The Rye, and look at comics by Tomine and Clowes. Only then can you join the Royal Indie Society.
Spanky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richardtock, your entire post confounds me beyond belief. What the hell are you talking about. And maybe define your conception of "indie" to better explain things. I always thought of it as a broad genre of independent music that is either too shitty to get onto a record label or is just simply unknown/unpopular.
But now you're throwing out Catcher in the Rye? Jesus tap-dancing christ!
thegrimspectreofreddeath

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too shitty to get a record deal?

Being someone that's actually heard major label releases, I can assure you that such a concept does not exist.

[/indie snob]
lily

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky wrote:
I always thought of it as a broad genre of independent music that is either too shitty to get onto a record label or is just simply unknown/unpopular.

there's also a few artists who are known and popular who have chosen to remain independent nonetheless.
Laughterheals

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky wrote:
Richardtock, your entire post confounds me beyond belief. What the hell are you talking about. And maybe define your conception of "indie" to better explain things. I always thought of it as a broad genre of independent music that is either too shitty to get onto a record label or is just simply unknown/unpopular.
But now you're throwing out Catcher in the Rye? Jesus tap-dancing christ!

Hehe, as if there aren't signed musicians who aren't shitty and/or fit the cookie cutter model that most labels seem to try to latch on to?
ElDingo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardtock wrote:
You don't get anymore indie then Belle And Sebastian. Listen to Belle And Sebastian. And Blur. And Pulp. And The Shins

Dude, Blur's label in the US is fuckin' Virgin, and Pulp is on Island, which is owned by PolyGram, neither of which are indie labels. Also, The Royal Tenenbaums was put out by Buena Vista, which is owned by Disney, so I don't think that really fits the criteria either.
Spanky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughterheals wrote:
Hehe, as if there aren't signed musicians who aren't shitty and/or fit the cookie cutter model that most labels seem to try to latch on to?

Well, like any other art form, I guess you can't really judge musicians as "shitty" since it all comes down to taste. But what I mean is that I can imagine some bands clinging to the label of "indie" to compensate for their... "musical inexperience" (didn't say shitty). And I'm sure many bands that eventually become popular enough to be offered a record deal jump for the opportunity, to the misfortune of their raving fans who accuse them as "selling out"
Laughterheals

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky wrote:
Laughterheals wrote:

Well, like any other art form, I guess you can't really judge musicians as "shitty" since it all comes down to taste. But what I mean is that I can imagine some bands clinging to the label of "indie" to compensate for their... "musical inexperience" (didn't say shitty). And I'm sure many bands that eventually become popular enough to be offered a record deal jump for the opportunity, to the misfortune of their raving fans who accuse them as "selling out"

True, can't argue much with taste. Sorry for misunderstanding, if at all, I get what you're saying now though.

Anyhoo, I can't spend every minute of my day continuously poring for new music to listen to. I guess I'm just being lazy Smile
richardtock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In England, Indie is more a genre of music, including stuff like Britpop, rather then strictly being on an independant label. I was kinda trying to be ironic, to a degree, too. All those things are typical "indie"
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it...indie hasn't meant "independent" for a long, long time now.

It's become nothing but an exercise in one-upsmanship and hipster snobbery.

I mean, come on, John Mayer's Inside Wants Out was pure indie before Sony picked it up, and only a fuckin' imbecile is going to accuse DCfC of no longer being indie just because they do iTunes exclusives, were on The OC Mix and released a record with Atlantic.

Indie kids are beginning to remind me of diehard Radiohead fans - and that's not a good thing.

That said, The Notwist is still my favorite "indie" group. Neon Golden was such a startlingly good album that it convinced me to go and buy all five previous ones (although finding some of them on vinyl was a serious pain).
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, indie.

I think we all know that it's too narrow to say that "indie" applies only to independant music, a vaguely-defined culture has grown out of it, which includes cool things like the catcher in th rye and lame things like musical snobbery.
Marik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Guys my shirt is not tight enough what do I do???? Reply with quote

Quote:
Indie kids are beginning to remind me of diehard Radiohead fans - and that's not a good thing.

Ahah.

Well, indie is such a soft term that its definition varies completely between social groups and locations.

Don't like the indie scene in Los Angeles? Move to San Diego. Bam, all new. Or, hey, there's always Canada.
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Guys my shirt is not tight enough what do I do???? Reply with quote

Marik wrote:
Quote:

Ahah.

Well, indie is such a soft term that its definition varies completely between social groups and locations.

Don't like the indie scene in Los Angeles? Move to San Diego. Bam, all new. Or, hey, there's always Canada.

Yeah, I think Seattle - home of the uberpolarized liberals (oh, oh, I need to clarify, not classic liberals, yeah, those I like) and supreme indie snobbery - is just wearing on me.

At least the weather's been good.
HamletSr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Math, bu-duh-bu-duh!

Its one bad mother -

SHUT YO MOUTH

what? im just talking about math-rock

I HAVE no Idea whAt MaTH rAWK is BUT IT SOUNDS SUPER INDIE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: