welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strip 1/18/2002: Sinfest Classics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Strip 1/18/2002: Sinfest Classics Reply with quote

Hey ...

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=725

Just a quick question: Does "Sig Heil" have any special meaning or is it just misspelled?

greetz,
nemini
Natashabi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sig Rune:

Heil=Hail

So, that could be "Hail to the Natzi Party/Flag"

Additionally:

Seig Heil is "Hail Victory".

Is it misspelled?

*shrug*

Both are possibilities.
nemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx, but i'm pretty familiar with nazi symbology and phrases, as i am from germany Wink

I think its just misspelled, as it doesnt have a special meaning in the comic, thats all i wanted to know ... well perhaps we'll never know oO

btw:

greetz,
nemini
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemini wrote:
Thanx, but i'm pretty familiar with nazi symbology and phrases, as i am from germany Wink

Is it because you're from Germany that you automaticly know nazi symbology? Because all Germans are Nazi's? Or do you have a special "Nazi history" class?
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sieg right?

Feiticeira

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
nemini wrote:

Is it because you're from Germany that you automaticly know nazi symbology? Because all Germans are Nazi's?

Yeah, German people are generally ignorant of Nazi phrases and symbology unless they are actually Nazis themselves. Except the ones who speak German, or lived in Nazi Germany, or ever read a fucking book about it, or listened to their grandparents.

Just by the way, what exactly was going through your head when you decided to attack this guy, who is German, by suggesting he was describing all Germans as Nazis?

Willem wrote:
Or do you have a special "Nazi history" class?

Well, Hitler's ascention to power and reign of Germany was one of the most significant events of the 20th Century, so yeah, you might occasionally find a History class that covers it.

Last edited by Feiticeira on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
nemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
nemini wrote:

Is it because you're from Germany that you automaticly know nazi symbology? Because all Germans are Nazi's? Or do you have a special "Nazi history" class?

Easy on the sarcasm there, boy Wink ^^ ...

But ... seriously, in fact, there is a special focus on the period from 1933-1945 in the history classes. I myself had to spend 1 1/2 years on that subject ... and i can tell you ... it GETS annoying ... Its because in Germany, this subject is approached EXTREMELY carefully and, i guess, its the single most important episode in Germany's history and spending so much time with the subject is a way to remember this dark episode and make sure it wont happen again.

But you are right with one thing, though: nazi symbology is NOT part of the history classes ...

@Snorri:
Yes it's "Sieg" ... Natashabi explained it very well ...

@all
I found another strip where that phrase is used ("Sig Heil", perhaps as in "Pig Heil" or something), and it seems that it was intentionally after all, just check it out:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=1456

greetz,
nemini
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I colored this one.

Coloring Contest my ass!
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:
Willem wrote:
nemini wrote:

Is it because you're from Germany that you automaticly know nazi symbology? Because all Germans are Nazi's?

Yeah, German people are generally ignorant of Nazi phrases and symbology unless they are actually Nazis themselves. Except the ones who speak German, or lived in Nazi Germany, or ever read a fucking book about it, or listened to their grandparents.

I didn't say anything about the phrases. Those are well known. Symbology, on the other hand, isn't that well known. I'm actually suprised that even a german knows 'em.
Nazi symbology has nearly nothing to do with speaking german. Not all Germans (especially the ones on the internet) lived in Nazi Germany. Not everyone reads books about Nazi's and not every book about Nazi's mentions the symbology. And most people ignore their grandparents, when it comes to such stories.

Quote:
Just by the way, what exactly was going through your head when you decided to attack this guy, who is German, by suggesting he was describing all Germans as Nazis?

A) It's not an attack.
B) He implied that nazi symobology is known by all germans. That's not what he ment, though.

Quote:

Willem wrote:
Or do you have a special "Nazi history" class?

Well, Hitler's ascention to power and reign of Germany was one of the most significant events of the 20th Century, so yeah, you might occasionally find a History class that covers it.

But do they go in depth about the symbology? (It seems the answer is no, like he said in his last post)

Now, no need to act like a fucktard, Feit. Nemini explained everything to me in a friendly post. And *gasp* didn't use the word "fuck"! How's that possible, you ask? Well, it's just his nature. Not all people are arrogant cunts like you.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
symbology

Det. Dolly: So, what's the symbology there?
Paul Smecker: Symbology? Now that Duffy's relinquished his "King Bonehead"-Crown, I see we have an heir to the throne, I'm sure the word you were looking for was 'symbolism', what is the 'ssssymbolism' there?

nemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Willem wrote:
symbology

Det. Dolly: So, what's the symbology there?
Paul Smecker: Symbology? Now that Duffy's relinquished his "King Bonehead"-Crown, I see we have an heir to the throne, I'm sure the word you were looking for was 'symbolism', what is the 'ssssymbolism' there?

I love The Boondock Saints. One of the best films ever made. Great actors, great script! Well ... "I" am excused, as English isnt my first language Wink :p

@Willem:
I just happen to be one educated internet geek. I prefer to know my heritage (even if its as dark as it is) and I hate smattering.

But I am surprised that you would say that you are surprised that even a german knows Nazi symbolism. I think the main population doesnt know anything really relevant about the Nazis, but thats with other subjects as well, as they are just dumb and not educated. But i think its very important to know such things, because one has to understand Nazi mythology and symbolism in order to understand Naziism and the motives that pushed them.

@Feiticeira&Willem:
Dont fight. It's not worth it. Willems post COULD be misunderstood as for he implied that all Germans are Nazis. (although, I saw the sarcasm there) So stop fighting, we are all on the same side Wink

greetz Wink
nemini

P.S.:
@WheelsOfConfusion:
NICE coloring. Good job. Is there more where that came from?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemini wrote:
@WheelsOfConfusion:

I'm afraid it's one of a kind.
Dusty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
nemini wrote:
@WheelsOfConfusion:

I'm afraid it's one of a kind.

please don't enter the first coloring contest.
nemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have to agree with Dusty. With your marvellous colorings, you just would scare off ANYONE. So no one but you would do a coloring EVER again and you would have to do it all by yourself till the end of the world ...
Dusty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i think most of those are from contests he lost. but still.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: