welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypothetical "What do you save" situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you save?
The Human
56%
 56%  [ 23 ]
The Collected Works of Shakespeare
43%
 43%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 41

Author Message
The Victim Here



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2813
Location: Almost Not Trinity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the I judge the human to be a bigger prick than ol' Shaky, let the mudafooker burn.
However, I often think of Shaky as being the biggest and most annoying prick since the dawn of cheese creation.

_________________
Colours? What colours?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amilam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 922

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The human being. Cause I'm nice and not an intellectual snob.


Shakespeare. Because I'm an intellectual snob and not a nice guy.

A human life is by definition a transient thing doomed to death and obscurity. Humanity derives it's meaning and immortality through the cultivation and passing on of transcendent works. A genius' vision not only lives beyond himself, but gives meaning to both his generation and a sense of heritage and hope to those that come long after.

Our society can maintain the loss of one individual, but it cannot survive the destruction of its heritage. There is a reason why the fledgling American government looked back to Rome for strength and inspiration when establishing its independence. There is also a reason why in cultures like Native Americans and Africa have struggled so greatly with reestablishing their identity: by colonial powers destroying their cultural heritage they have no heritage to found themselves upon.
_________________
"And then the sea was closed again, above us."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guccipiggy



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLABLABLABLALABLA

No one answered my question. How hot is this human?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guccipiggy



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Guccipiggy wrote:
You say that like that's wrong

Yes I do.
Guccipiggy wrote:
Oh, you must be the ones 'beyond that'.

I'd like to think I'm "beyond that" when the issue is saving a life rather than deciding on a brand of jeans.


1. What's the last thing you bought.

2. You take great seriousness in a thing that's never going to happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2446

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guccipiggy wrote:
1. What's the last thing you bought.

Pizza.
Guccipiggy wrote:
2. You take great seriousness in a thing that's never going to happen.

No, I really don't.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Feiticeira



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1774

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guccipiggy wrote:
BLABLABLABLALABLA

No one answered my question. How hot is this human?


It's me. Am I cooler than Shakespeare, Steph?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 589
Location: Don't look up! (Damn pigeons...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the book. Much easier to carry. Also, likely to be more fun and useful once rescued. Razz
_________________
Halen wrote:
The reason that "people actually see the points people make" = "people agree with me" is because I. Am. Right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lemontree



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3298

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, with the way in which the situation was presented, I'd save the human just because I probably wouldn't have a clue about the exact importance of that book as I'm standing in a BURNING BUILDING.

HOWEVER, if it were something like I'm stuck in a frozen waste land with the last surviving copy of his works or the gutenburg bible (not that I'm very religious, but I understand the importance of that book).. and I had the choice between burning them to stay alive, or freezing to death with the knowledge that someone would eventually find these books... I might just sacrifice myself. Because literature like that are legacies to the beauty of the human mind. I'm not going to think myself important enough to carry on the tradition of those pieces just by living.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guccipiggy



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:
Guccipiggy wrote:
BLABLABLABLALABLA

No one answered my question. How hot is this human?


It's me. Am I cooler than Shakespeare, Steph?


CONUNDRUM.

To the other guy: i ment something material. My whole point was that if you bought one of those weird DnD die or something, then that means it was something targetted to you. Why did you buy that one? Why not the other one? In fact, why did you buy the pizza you wanted to? What does pizza means to you?

I'm so bored.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juggernautxug



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 355
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the human, who knows, one that perosn might remember shakespear, also that person might be the next shakespear.
_________________
I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Feiticeira



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1774

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juggernautxug wrote:
the human, who knows, one that perosn might remember shakespear, also that person might be the next shakespear.


I think you have Shakespeare confused with the Dalai Lama, 'cos I don't think anybody is expecting his second coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lemontree



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3298

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.AM.UTTERLY.HYPNOTIZED.BY.JUGGETNAUT'S.SIGNATURE.TAG.

Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Victim Here



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2813
Location: Almost Not Trinity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemontree wrote:
I.AM.UTTERLY.HYPNOTIZED.BY.JUGGETNAUT'S.SIGNATURE.TAG.

Shocked
Don't encourage it, we won't be able to get it to leave.
_________________
Colours? What colours?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Atrophy Annie



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1690
Location: Your Mom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mr. Shakespeare's work is utterly boring. I vote the human. Not that I could actually carry a human OR a complete set of works out of a flaming building. So the point is moot on my end.
_________________
Way to kill the conversation, Patty.- Trevor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Lemontree



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3298

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Victim Here wrote:
Lemontree wrote:
I.AM.UTTERLY.HYPNOTIZED.BY.JUGGETNAUT'S.SIGNATURE.TAG.

Shocked
Don't encourage it, we won't be able to get it to leave.


Shit, I've always been bad at "Just Say(ing) No!" >.<

Quick, I need a full-frontal shot of Ewan McGregor from "The Pillow Book" to divert my eyes!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group