welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypothetical "What do you save" situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you save?
The Human
56%
 56%  [ 23 ]
The Collected Works of Shakespeare
43%
 43%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 41

Author Message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the hypothetical questions are phrased that way on purpose. If it had a "duh" answer then it wouldn't be any fun to ask regardless of how bone it would be no matter what.
_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Taylorbell



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3191
Location: Northern England

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
All the hypothetical questions are phrased that way on purpose. If it had a "duh" answer then it wouldn't be any fun to ask regardless of how bone it would be no matter what.


I'm simply of the opinion that the question's author went for the 'duh, no' question, in order to make himself feel clever, and anyone who disagreed be made to feel like an idiot. Like I say, it's not playing fair. It's intellectual gamesmanship on a rather simplistic level, rather than, say, some interesting intellectual game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps that is the author's fault for being a twat.

I like intellectual games like this but most of them irk me because of that one-upsmanship shit. I usually know what I would do and why and it amazing me, sometimes, that some people don't.

_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lily



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 1531
Location: worcester, ma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
I’d go so far as to say I think Shakespeare’s works have saved people’s lives, and would continue to do so if I preserved the book.


they saved mine.

more accurately, performing one of his plays saved mine. gave me something to stay alive for. so god bless shakespeare.

i don't really feel like answering this question though cuz it's stupid and i hate it.

(or maybe because i don't want to admit that i prefer shakespeare to people)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I have a few things that make me warm and fuzzy for the same reason.
_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2440

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guccipiggy wrote:
To the other guy: i ment something material. My whole point was that if you bought one of those weird DnD die or something, then that means it was something targetted to you. Why did you buy that one? Why not the other one? In fact, why did you buy the pizza you wanted to? What does pizza means to you?

The pizza was from I-Five Pizza, who I never would of heard of except for their advertising... which was in the form of a coupon for a $4 one-topping medium pizza delivered. In short, I quite clearly bought value and convenience rather than brand.

Same goes for my last "material" purchase. It was a computer, a Dell, which is a brand name I do not like in the slightest, but it was like $350 for an adequate computer with flatscreen monitor thrown in. Again, for value.

A better example may be my last pair of purchased shoes, which were New Balance. I was absolutely swayed by the brand in this case... but it was because of familiarity with the brand rather than advertising. My last 5 pairs of shoes have been New Balance, because they are fucking comfortable shoes.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine


Last edited by Sojobo on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guccipiggy



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go. I rest my case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2440

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "case," as near as I can tell, seemed to be that the creation of "false significance" through advertising was significant.

All my answers involved buying products for real and clear value. No false significance involved.

Am I misunderstanding your point?
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amilam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 922

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm simply of the opinion that the question's author went for the 'duh, no' question, in order to make himself feel clever, and anyone who disagreed be made to feel like an idiot. Like I say, it's not playing fair. It's intellectual gamesmanship on a rather simplistic level, rather than, say, some interesting intellectual game.


Such as?
_________________
"And then the sea was closed again, above us."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as it wasn't the last person on earth of the opposite sex, we can make more people.

burn, baby, burn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guccipiggy



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advertising gives you the incentive. It underlines the best quality of a product that would work as an interesting incentive to a certain audience and thats how it creates significance. In this case, you place significance on value. Some people would pay more for an extra yummy pizza. Those people have more money; that pizza would be advertised on TV probably and would enhance the taste of it by combining hunger inducing pictures and melted cheese and stuff.

If you're the audience who's interested in value, then theyll probably advertise in a low value format. They will enhance the price of it more instead of the actual taste and quality.

And about the fucking comfortable shoes, that's called brand loyalty. Comfot means something to you, so the brand is significant to something else.

By significance, it's not brand significance. It's what it MEANS. Even designer labels aren't bought because of the brand, but because of the brand signifies: status, quality, money, and another assorted values which vary from designer to designer. For example, the Dolce and Gabanna shopper is fun-loving and succesfull in a charming way. The Gucci shopper is more conservative and all entrepeneurial or something like that, liking the less bold and shiny things in life but having a bit of class etc etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many <3s to Gucci for explaining what took an irritating man a whole sememster to teach. ::fumes::
_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Feiticeira



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1774

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amilam wrote:
Quote:
I'm simply of the opinion that the question's author went for the 'duh, no' question, in order to make himself feel clever, and anyone who disagreed be made to feel like an idiot. Like I say, it's not playing fair. It's intellectual gamesmanship on a rather simplistic level, rather than, say, some interesting intellectual game.


Such as?


SUDOKU!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amilam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 922

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wimper

Couldn't we play cards or chess instead?
_________________
"And then the sea was closed again, above us."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teh Digital Dragon



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1888
Location: THE WORLD OF LARNING.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lily wrote:
Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
I’d go so far as to say I think Shakespeare’s works have saved people’s lives, and would continue to do so if I preserved the book.


they saved mine.

more accurately, performing one of his plays saved mine. gave me something to stay alive for. so god bless shakespeare.

i don't really feel like answering this question though cuz it's stupid and i hate it.

(or maybe because i don't want to admit that i prefer shakespeare to people)

Oh lily.

I know people suck, but I think life means more than plays. Don't you?
_________________
"You cannot run away from a weakness; you must sometimes fight it out or perish. And if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group