welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypothetical "What do you save" situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you save?
The Human
56%
 56%  [ 23 ]
The Collected Works of Shakespeare
43%
 43%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 41

Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the hypothetical questions are phrased that way on purpose. If it had a "duh" answer then it wouldn't be any fun to ask regardless of how bone it would be no matter what.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
All the hypothetical questions are phrased that way on purpose. If it had a "duh" answer then it wouldn't be any fun to ask regardless of how bone it would be no matter what.

I'm simply of the opinion that the question's author went for the 'duh, no' question, in order to make himself feel clever, and anyone who disagreed be made to feel like an idiot. Like I say, it's not playing fair. It's intellectual gamesmanship on a rather simplistic level, rather than, say, some interesting intellectual game.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps that is the author's fault for being a twat.

I like intellectual games like this but most of them irk me because of that one-upsmanship shit. I usually know what I would do and why and it amazing me, sometimes, that some people don't.

lily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
I’d go so far as to say I think Shakespeare’s works have saved people’s lives, and would continue to do so if I preserved the book.

they saved mine.

more accurately, performing one of his plays saved mine. gave me something to stay alive for. so god bless shakespeare.

i don't really feel like answering this question though cuz it's stupid and i hate it.

(or maybe because i don't want to admit that i prefer shakespeare to people)
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I have a few things that make me warm and fuzzy for the same reason.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guccipiggy wrote:
To the other guy: i ment something material. My whole point was that if you bought one of those weird DnD die or something, then that means it was something targetted to you. Why did you buy that one? Why not the other one? In fact, why did you buy the pizza you wanted to? What does pizza means to you?

The pizza was from I-Five Pizza, who I never would of heard of except for their advertising... which was in the form of a coupon for a $4 one-topping medium pizza delivered. In short, I quite clearly bought value and convenience rather than brand.

Same goes for my last "material" purchase. It was a computer, a Dell, which is a brand name I do not like in the slightest, but it was like $350 for an adequate computer with flatscreen monitor thrown in. Again, for value.

A better example may be my last pair of purchased shoes, which were New Balance. I was absolutely swayed by the brand in this case... but it was because of familiarity with the brand rather than advertising. My last 5 pairs of shoes have been New Balance, because they are fucking comfortable shoes.

Last edited by Sojobo on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go. I rest my case.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "case," as near as I can tell, seemed to be that the creation of "false significance" through advertising was significant.

All my answers involved buying products for real and clear value. No false significance involved.

Am I misunderstanding your point?
Amilam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm simply of the opinion that the question's author went for the 'duh, no' question, in order to make himself feel clever, and anyone who disagreed be made to feel like an idiot. Like I say, it's not playing fair. It's intellectual gamesmanship on a rather simplistic level, rather than, say, some interesting intellectual game.

Such as?
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as it wasn't the last person on earth of the opposite sex, we can make more people.

burn, baby, burn.
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advertising gives you the incentive. It underlines the best quality of a product that would work as an interesting incentive to a certain audience and thats how it creates significance. In this case, you place significance on value. Some people would pay more for an extra yummy pizza. Those people have more money; that pizza would be advertised on TV probably and would enhance the taste of it by combining hunger inducing pictures and melted cheese and stuff.

If you're the audience who's interested in value, then theyll probably advertise in a low value format. They will enhance the price of it more instead of the actual taste and quality.

And about the fucking comfortable shoes, that's called brand loyalty. Comfot means something to you, so the brand is significant to something else.

By significance, it's not brand significance. It's what it MEANS. Even designer labels aren't bought because of the brand, but because of the brand signifies: status, quality, money, and another assorted values which vary from designer to designer. For example, the Dolce and Gabanna shopper is fun-loving and succesfull in a charming way. The Gucci shopper is more conservative and all entrepeneurial or something like that, liking the less bold and shiny things in life but having a bit of class etc etc.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many <3s to Gucci for explaining what took an irritating man a whole sememster to teach. ::fumes::
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amilam wrote:
Quote:

Such as?

SUDOKU!
Amilam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wimper

Couldn't we play cards or chess instead?
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lily wrote:
Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
I’d go so far as to say I think Shakespeare’s works have saved people’s lives, and would continue to do so if I preserved the book.

they saved mine.

more accurately, performing one of his plays saved mine. gave me something to stay alive for. so god bless shakespeare.

i don't really feel like answering this question though cuz it's stupid and i hate it.

(or maybe because i don't want to admit that i prefer shakespeare to people)

Oh lily.

I know people suck, but I think life means more than plays. Don't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: