welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypothetical "What do you save" situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you save?
The Human
56%
 56%  [ 23 ]
The Collected Works of Shakespeare
43%
 43%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 41

Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But something that saves your life has a special place. When something is that important in memory, then something equaly important has to be put in place of the item in question. What about Kepler's paper instead?

'Course, I may just want everyone to play nice even when I agree with TDD.

Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lifejacket can save your life. It doesn’t make it more important than someone else’s actual life.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't make one lifejacket more important than one life, but it may make the whole concept, the totality of lifejackets, more important than one life.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could give to me a figure for the number of lives Shakespeare has saved it wouldn’t matter, I could not let a human being die to save paper.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I could, either, but I'm not convinced it is necessarily the ethically superior option... at the very least, I can't find fault with those would choose otherwise.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can, but then I'm drunk and judgemental.

Like I said, there will be other life-saving literary works, but you're talking, albeit hypothetically, about killing an actual human being.

That just ain't right.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we could make the choice a bit more unfair and dramatic, say, replace the works of Shakespeare with the cure for polio. Would the immediacy of the single human life still trump?
nathan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakespeare himself would kick you square in the nuts for even thinking of saving the book instead of the man.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Katrin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should indulge in some shocking artform that will inspire people to endlessly debate over it.
bun bun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
I don't care about people.

Yeah. Sorry.

I voted for the book. I'd always vote for the book. Unless it were one of those thick paperbacks with raised, shiny writing, where the author's name is bigger than the book's. Then I'd be glad to see it die.
lily

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in reality, i'd probably actually save the person. but i'm just naturally contrary, and i do care for shakespeare very very much.

hmm. why not let the person themself choose? (that is, the person needing rescue?) i guess, rereading the original question, that there wouldn't be time to explain the situation and get their opinion. but this seems to me the best option.

also, sam is the greatest ever.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and this is why Nathan and Sam are two of my favorite people ever.

I'd save the person. I'm generally misanthropic and unsympathetic and I think Shakespeare's brilliant, but I would save the person.
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrin wrote:

You should indulge in some shocking artform that will inspire people to endlessly debate over it.
You rang?Marik's old comic.
*cough*
Him

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypothetical "What do you save" situation Reply with quote

RebelYello wrote:
The premise: A strange malady has struck the universe, and all knowledge of the text of Shakespeare's works has been eradicated. People who used to know every line of the play cannot remember even one of them, not even the names of the performances. All reference has mysteriously been eradicated, vanished from pages and computers and all forms of media. Everyone is wandering around, keenly aware of the person known as Shakespeare, and they remember that he was perhaps the most important writer in the history of the world. They just can't find his works, or remember them anymore. All they have is cruel hints, such as half-constructed sets and costume closets for plays they were previously preparing to perform, vanished playbooks and empty spaces in libraries, and strangely blank sections of textbooks and history books.

But one complete copy was left unscathed. This last remaining source of Shakespeare's collected works are sitting comfortably in a burning building. Elsewhere in the building is an anonymous human being of indeterminate age and origin.

The universe, in its inexplicable wisdom, has decided to make it so you only have time to save one while the other perishes. Will you save the human being and leave the world without Shakespeare, or will you sacrifice the human and recover the bard's tales?

Please explain your answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: