welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

07/02/04 Cryptic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kry
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:
Kry wrote:
PinkSpider43 wrote:
Also, Kry, you are fucking annoying.


Yes, I am. But only towards her.

We have an unspoken agreement to annoy the living hell out of each other. Also, Kry, your argument stems from this:

"You're dumb, hurr hurr hurr."

Perfectly valid, but it means we're at an impasse. Pistols at dawn?


So be it.
Back to top
Twister87
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's raining thread hijacks.
Back to top
sporko



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2890

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...HALLELU-U-JAH, IT'S RAINING THREADHIJACKS, AMEN!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
PeteMoss
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kry wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Kry wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Kry wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Attempting to outwit ME is a very, very bad idea indeed.


Indeed. It's like trying to outwit a rock, or a wall. You know you will win easily, but they're not gonna notice it, so what's the point?

It's extremely difficult for ANYONE to outwit inanimate objects, seeing as trying to do so would be making a category mistake of the highest order. I'm sure the metaphor works if you're happy making that sort of error, so you're OK. Carry on.


You can outwit inanimate objects pretty easily. It's like trying to outwit an A.I: it's not alive, but you can outwit it. I guess it depends on your view on wit: if someone is silent, can you outwit him? If you answer is yes, you can outwith a rock pretty easily. If your answer is no, then you'll have to face the fact that every mute person you meet will be impossible to outwit.

You're confusing production of speech with production of thought, another category mistake. (It's OK though, I did say carry on...) The mental capacities of a person unable to communicate for any reason are not necessarily linked to that ability to communicate. They COULD be, but someone who is gagged and bound could still be a challenge to outwit IF he were given a way to respond. There is no way to make a rock sentient. Duh...

The AI question depends on whether or not you're a functionalist. I don't think I can "outwit" current AI any more than I can "outwit" a Nintendo Wii. We'll see where neural nets go. It has to be sentient before I can outwit it.


I'd like to point you to wordnet:
Quote:

outwit
v : beat through cleverness and wit; "I beat the traffic"


You are using a fixed meaning of the word "outwit" that doesn't suit all its definitions. Or maybe you're gonna tell me now that the traffic has some kind of mental capacity.

We could also argue about mental capacity of a rock, too. It has a certain amount of mental capacity: 0. Quoting the woman that was showing the newspaper print to Lisa Simpson: "What? Zero is a percentage.".

And on a final note, you're confusing a metaphor with an actual attempt to make a direct correlation beween two factual events. The idea of someone trying to outwit a rock is aimed to shock and probably amuse due to its own stupidity. Also, it suggests you're dumb as a rock. Which you are.


Traffic does have mental capacity, you have to remember that the other cars are being controlled by a bunch of non-driving dumb ass motherfuckers, therefore can be outwitted.
Back to top
Snorri



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 10878
Location: hiding the decline.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I outwit this tree yesterday. It was epic.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 10656

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri +2!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kry
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteMoss wrote:

Traffic does have mental capacity, you have to remember that the other cars are being controlled by a bunch of non-driving dumb ass motherfuckers, therefore can be outwitted.




Sorry PeteMoss but this has been already solved via pistols at dawn. the conversation is now so not new.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group