Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

07/02/04 Cryptic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donut3point5 wrote:
Also, goal is used in soccer, or at least when you say it like that.
Usually.
My favorites are panels 9-11.
--donut3.5--

Reading up is the new black.
Back to top
donut3point5



Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 940
Location: The Bakery of Blood Gulch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading up is for emos now?
Never would have known... Razz
--donut3.5--
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip number 1: Don't try to outwit the hand that makes sure someone knows you made a particular point first.

Tip number 2: Attempting to outwit ME is a very, very bad idea indeed. Especially when you're the sort of person who feels the compulsion to type out your signature at the end of every post, instead of using the built-in signature feature. It doesn't make you look 1337. It makes you look retarded.
Back to top
donut3point5



Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 940
Location: The Bakery of Blood Gulch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hides*
--donut3.5--
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kame



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 2565
Location: Alba Nuadh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes my entertainment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Kry
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:
Attempting to outwit ME is a very, very bad idea indeed.


Indeed. It's like trying to outwit a rock, or a wall. You know you will win easily, but they're not gonna notice it, so what's the point?
Back to top
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the invisible wit. can it be said to even exist?
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kry wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Attempting to outwit ME is a very, very bad idea indeed.


Indeed. It's like trying to outwit a rock, or a wall. You know you will win easily, but they're not gonna notice it, so what's the point?

It's extremely difficult for ANYONE to outwit inanimate objects, seeing as trying to do so would be making a category mistake of the highest order. I'm sure the metaphor works if you're happy making that sort of error, so you're OK. Carry on.
Back to top
Kry
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:
Kry wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Attempting to outwit ME is a very, very bad idea indeed.


Indeed. It's like trying to outwit a rock, or a wall. You know you will win easily, but they're not gonna notice it, so what's the point?

It's extremely difficult for ANYONE to outwit inanimate objects, seeing as trying to do so would be making a category mistake of the highest order. I'm sure the metaphor works if you're happy making that sort of error, so you're OK. Carry on.


You can outwit inanimate objects pretty easily. It's like trying to outwit an A.I: it's not alive, but you can outwit it. I guess it depends on your view on wit: if someone is silent, can you outwit him? If you answer is yes, you can outwith a rock pretty easily. If your answer is no, then you'll have to face the fact that every mute person you meet will be impossible to outwit.
Back to top
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kry wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Kry wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Attempting to outwit ME is a very, very bad idea indeed.


Indeed. It's like trying to outwit a rock, or a wall. You know you will win easily, but they're not gonna notice it, so what's the point?

It's extremely difficult for ANYONE to outwit inanimate objects, seeing as trying to do so would be making a category mistake of the highest order. I'm sure the metaphor works if you're happy making that sort of error, so you're OK. Carry on.


You can outwit inanimate objects pretty easily. It's like trying to outwit an A.I: it's not alive, but you can outwit it. I guess it depends on your view on wit: if someone is silent, can you outwit him? If you answer is yes, you can outwith a rock pretty easily. If your answer is no, then you'll have to face the fact that every mute person you meet will be impossible to outwit.

You're confusing production of speech with production of thought, another category mistake. (It's OK though, I did say carry on...) The mental capacities of a person unable to communicate for any reason are not necessarily linked to that ability to communicate. They COULD be, but someone who is gagged and bound could still be a challenge to outwit IF he were given a way to respond. There is no way to make a rock sentient. Duh...

The AI question depends on whether or not you're a functionalist. I don't think I can "outwit" current AI any more than I can "outwit" a Nintendo Wii. We'll see where neural nets go. It has to be sentient before I can outwit it.
Back to top
Kry
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:
Kry wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Kry wrote:
bun bun wrote:
Attempting to outwit ME is a very, very bad idea indeed.


Indeed. It's like trying to outwit a rock, or a wall. You know you will win easily, but they're not gonna notice it, so what's the point?

It's extremely difficult for ANYONE to outwit inanimate objects, seeing as trying to do so would be making a category mistake of the highest order. I'm sure the metaphor works if you're happy making that sort of error, so you're OK. Carry on.


You can outwit inanimate objects pretty easily. It's like trying to outwit an A.I: it's not alive, but you can outwit it. I guess it depends on your view on wit: if someone is silent, can you outwit him? If you answer is yes, you can outwith a rock pretty easily. If your answer is no, then you'll have to face the fact that every mute person you meet will be impossible to outwit.

You're confusing production of speech with production of thought, another category mistake. (It's OK though, I did say carry on...) The mental capacities of a person unable to communicate for any reason are not necessarily linked to that ability to communicate. They COULD be, but someone who is gagged and bound could still be a challenge to outwit IF he were given a way to respond. There is no way to make a rock sentient. Duh...

The AI question depends on whether or not you're a functionalist. I don't think I can "outwit" current AI any more than I can "outwit" a Nintendo Wii. We'll see where neural nets go. It has to be sentient before I can outwit it.


I'd like to point you to wordnet:
Quote:

outwit
v : beat through cleverness and wit; "I beat the traffic"


You are using a fixed meaning of the word "outwit" that doesn't suit all its definitions. Or maybe you're gonna tell me now that the traffic has some kind of mental capacity.

We could also argue about mental capacity of a rock, too. It has a certain amount of mental capacity: 0. Quoting the woman that was showing the newspaper print to Lisa Simpson: "What? Zero is a percentage.".

And on a final note, you're confusing a metaphor with an actual attempt to make a direct correlation beween two factual events. The idea of someone trying to outwit a rock is aimed to shock and probably amuse due to its own stupidity. Also, it suggests you're dumb as a rock. Which you are.
Back to top
PinkSpider43



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Posts: 1800
Location: Connecticut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what an unwitty thread about wit.

Also, Kry, you are fucking annoying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kry
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkSpider43 wrote:
Also, Kry, you are fucking annoying.


Yes, I am. But only towards her.
Back to top
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkSpider43 wrote:
Wow, what an unwitty thread about wit.


you must recall, it's the kind of wit no one notices.
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kry wrote:
PinkSpider43 wrote:
Also, Kry, you are fucking annoying.


Yes, I am. But only towards her.

We have an unspoken agreement to annoy the living hell out of each other. Also, Kry, your argument stems from this:

"You're dumb, hurr hurr hurr."

Perfectly valid, but it means we're at an impasse. Pistols at dawn?
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group