welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

march 3 - he sees blah blah
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sojobo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm No Celebrity wrote:
I think what Monique wants is for them to look at her and rather than quickly slapping a label on her for their needs, she wants them to think of her as a person...

A healthy desire. Perhaps it would be best to begin by looking at other people as thought they were, umm, people instead of categorizing them by how she thinks a girl of her appearance would have to fit into their lives?

Her shallowness is so thorough it almost looks like depth.
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very astute. It's easy to believe Monique thinks things through deeply when really, those are some snap judgments she makes. Still, based on what they look like alone, I'd say those are some pretty probing insights. But hey, same as they don't know, neither does she. She's a funny girl. I know of one girl, exactly one that I could compare to Monique. Bitch drives me crazy, but I can't stop hanging out with her.
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Her shallowness is so thorough it almost looks like depth.

maybe that's why half the posters don't like the last panel.
the first three deal with a well known social issue (men not appreciating women as people, but as concepts), but the fourth panel ties it back into the self-centered nature, making us question whether there is anything appreciable in the last three panels we read.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
I'm No Celebrity wrote:
I think what Monique wants is for them to look at her and rather than quickly slapping a label on her for their needs, she wants them to think of her as a person...

A healthy desire. Perhaps it would be best to begin by looking at other people as thought they were, umm, people instead of categorizing them by how she thinks a girl of her appearance would have to fit into their lives?

She wouldn't be 'Nique otherwise. Her warts are inside, yet they're warts still.
ups

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick can be the one that best knows nique ant still she ditch him fast!

I think she is jut looking for excuses!
phuemarley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn´t you know? in the next sunday strip monique is going to marry slick.
it´ll be like...50 panels or so, with every SF char making an appereance and doing something totally hilarious.

and then, on monday, you see slick waking up in good ol´ B&W, and it is revealed that every grey-shaded comic was just part of a dream of his.
Narayanastra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasset wrote:
Well, no der they don't see her.

They don't know her. Thus, all they have to go on is her appearences.
but it's the same for her, she doesn't know *them* either, so she doesn't know how they really see her. She's just making it up as they pass, so she's self-centered enough to assume what they're thinking.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting, she may very well be right in her assumptions about the guys she passes but by making these assumptions she's doing to them exactly what she think's they're doing to her. Not seeing them as people but as stereotypes. Who knows, maybe one of those guys really would have been open to seeing the real her, but because she wasn’t open to seeing the real them, she’ll never know.

That’s a lot of meaning for a little four panel web comic.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggi your so smart, when you die can I eat your brain?

I promise you won't feel a thing.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tat meant for us to feel a little sorry for 'Nique, and, more importantly, make it clear that the "You just love the idea of me" from two comics ago wasn't a total bitch slapdown as much as an expression of 'Nique's own confusion.

I think that's enough to make this a good comic.

The hypocrisy angle is a couple extra layers of deliciousness, though I don't think Tat was consciously aiming for it. 'Nique is a complex and real enough character that Tat has lost some control over her implied nuances. Perhaps this is a general sign of a great character, when the author can shift from actively writing the story to just reporting it, which makes the expressed depths a natural growth rather than result of careful planning.

So that makes this a great comic.

I can see how the fourth panel can be called emo, but it seems a bit unfair to call 'Nique emo because of it. As far as she knows, she's alone, no audience except maybe her Creator. She doesn't know He's gonna expose her softer emotional bits all over the internet. I'm pretty sure she'd be right pissed.

But even disregarding that dodging of the issue, emo isn't annoying because it's untrue, but because it's embarassingly familiar. If you've never been angry that people don't see the real you, you've never been a teenager. Angst is a normal stage of development.

And the fact that she doesn't see the real anyone else, the fact that her complaint is somewhat hypocritical, doesn't at all invalidate the emotion she's feeling. Just because it's fair that the world is collectively a shallow and callous asshole back at you doesn't mean it doesn't suck.
PinkSpider43

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:

And the fact that she doesn't see the real anyone else, the fact that her complaint is somewhat hypocritical, doesn't at all invalidate the emotion she's feeling. Just because it's fair that the world is collectively a shallow and callous asshole back at you doesn't mean it doesn't suck.
That is absolutely true. It's easy to say "if she would just see people for who THEY are then maybe she'd be surprised."

But the sad thing is that, while there is a possibility she will be, overall she probably won't be.
juggernautxug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, "I must be emo" to the max... Looks like Nique is gonna go home, but on all black clothes and cry.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:
I love this comic. Up until the part where Monique gets all emo. The last panel could have been so much better...

I liked the whole strip. I think we're all allowed to be emo once in awhile; it's those who are emo all the time, and over the top with it that drive me nuts. I don't even think it's being emo if you're doing it once in awhile; I think it's just being human.

*shrug*

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
It's interesting, she may very well be right in her assumptions about the guys she passes but by making these assumptions she's doing to them exactly what she think's they're doing to her. Not seeing them as people but as stereotypes. Who knows, maybe one of those guys really would have been open to seeing the real her, but because she wasn’t open to seeing the real them, she’ll never know.

I don't know, to be honest, most women can tell the difference between being looked at as eye candy or just being looked at. If that makes sense. They're two very distinct looks men have.

Granted, I'm not trying to stereotype anyone, but from my own experience -- men make it obvious when they're enjoying you for eye candy.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:

I don't know, to be honest, most women can tell the difference between being looked at as eye candy or just being looked at. If that makes sense. They're two very distinct looks men have.

Granted, I'm not trying to stereotype anyone, but from my own experience -- men make it obvious when they're enjoying you for eye candy.

She wasn't saying they were looking at her as eye candy, she was evaluating their specific emotional needs...

I'm not trying to say Monique is hypocritical here, I think it's the nature of humanity to need and not be able to give.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:

She wasn't saying they were looking at her as eye candy, she was evaluating their specific emotional needs...

I'm not trying to say Monique is hypocritical here, I think it's the nature of humanity to need and not be able to give.

To me saying something like "a prop" for his ego, and a "lolita" to relive his youth sound very eye-candyish to me. But that's just me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: