welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

march 3 - he sees blah blah
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acting depressed is whining.

being depressed does not necessarily entail acting depressed or whining
rm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emo is just people who romanticize depression. anyone who has actually experienced a truly depressed state would know better. it's certainly not something to wave a fucking flag about.

at the same time, everyone feels at some point or another a deep emotion that gives them pause. it isn't emo, and to say so is unbelievably juvenile. it belittles something that is so basic to the human experience.
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's something the subculture has done. Now the rest of us are expected to be glib happiness machines, churning out the cheerful feelings lest we be attacked for being emo. We have been stripped of our right to be even temporarily melancholy.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not true
rm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my personal experience: ever since I can remember, like from the age of seven onwards, I have been prone to introspection, melancholy, and various levels of depression. I am also prone to periods of undue giddiness and elevated states of joy. the latter are fewer and further between, and so I am typically classified as being a "sad" person who occasionally acts weird... weird being the word people use when I suddenly become unsad. I think the problem is that my moods are not dictated by my surroundings, therefore people have a hard time attributing my behavior to anything that is going on around us in the 'real' world. on top of all that I have a face that rarely betrays what I am feeling. my standard, normal face reads as sad, but that is not always the case, of course. I have developed a bad reaction to people who come up to me and tell me to cheer up. my first instinct is to break their nose... but sometimes I play along with this idea of me as 'poor scott' only to turn it around within a half hour and so or do something they would never expect. this is fun for me, but it belies the fact that I'd rather fuck with peoples perceptions than just be myself... or maybe that is myself. anyway. as long as I am not being emotive then I can't blame people for thinking things about me that are not true, can I? perhaps this is why I drink so much. like pretty much everyone else, when I am drunk I tend to relax whatever walls I have up inside of me and become that fun loving guy everyone expects. maybe that's who I want to be too... but I also like being myself. I take a certain pride in being whatever it is I am. the down side is that occasionally I blow up and become something that I dislike very much. the point is, I think, is that it is not what you do that classifies you as such and such. people can easily read dishonesty and affectation, and people appreciate honesty and isness, even when it isn't glib and happy. but it helps to have a balance, not to play the same note over and over again. the reason emo is so annoying is that it isn't what it is. it's so obviously fake, and so consistently dull.
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
emo is just people who romanticize depression. anyone who has actually experienced a truly depressed state would know better. it's certainly not something to wave a fucking flag about.

In that case, i don't know if i'd call this strip emo -- but it's trite, which is bad enough.
rm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkentelechy wrote:
Quote:

In that case, i don't know if i'd call this strip emo -- but it's trite, which is bad enough.

yeah, I thought about that. I'd call it sappy. the difference in the words is huge, though. at least 'trite' and 'sappy' don't reference a cultural sub-group. calling this comic emo just confuses things.
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go so far as calling it trite, though. That seems to be overkill. Sappy, perhaps. Nonetheless, I did enjoy it.
PinkSpider43

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm No Celebrity wrote:
That's something the subculture has done. Now the rest of us are expected to be glib happiness machines, churning out the cheerful feelings lest we be attacked for being emo. We have been stripped of our right to be even temporarily melancholy.
Wow, now you're sounding way emo.

Quote:
my standard, normal face reads as sad, but that is not always the case, of course. I have developed a bad reaction to people who come up to me and tell me to cheer up. my first instinct is to break their nose..

<3

I know EXACTLY what you mean, RM
rm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkSpider43 wrote:
Quote:
my standard, normal face reads as sad, but that is not always the case, of course. I have developed a bad reaction to people who come up to me and tell me to cheer up. my first instinct is to break their nose..

<3

I know EXACTLY what you mean, RM

now that I think about it, that is probably the driving force behind how I behave socially, how I choose my friends, find lovers, group acquaintances, etc. I like to belive it takes a certain amount of emotional intelligence to read me correctly... but I am also sure that is the way it goes for everyone, to some degree.
Secret

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down with black bile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: