Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tin Pan Alley: the Musician's Ghetto
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Tin Pan Alley: the Musician's Ghetto Reply with quote

Sinfesters have spoken. Here's the thread to talk and brag about your instruments, playing ability, rockstar perks, whatever. Respect those whose skills aren't as great; even baby Jimi had to start somewhere. Let the jam begin. On four! One! Two! One, Two, Three, Four!...
Laughterheals

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to pick up blues guitar and the theory behind it. Practice is much needed though.

A guitar would be handy too, actually Sad Still need to buy strings for the guitar I'm borrowing from my brother.
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hereby christen this thread
Sklent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughterheals wrote:
I'm starting to pick up blues guitar and the theory behind it. Practice is much needed though.

A guitar would be handy too, actually Sad Still need to buy strings for the guitar I'm borrowing from my brother.

www.webstrings.com

Supposedly they're just as good as regular old strings, but they're $3.00 a pack. If you make an order over $12.00 and don't live outside the US, you don't even have to pay for shipping.

I play mediocre acoustic guitar. I'm trying to make myself slow down and relax, and pick up some musical theory, but sometimes I'm far too lazy. I'd record myself playing, but the only microphone I've got makes my big ol' dreadnaught sound like a ukelele. I paid $60 for it, and aside from changing the strings and having a new nut installed, it plays and sounds great.

Waiter, that was great.
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combination of my lack of playing ability and having way too many friends who play guitar/bass really well has convinced me to never publicly post/discuss my playing. ^_^
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love music more than sunshine and booze but I have no musical abillity whatsoever. I can't even clap in tune.
Marik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: wait no i can clap dude who the fuck can't clap Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
I love music more than sunshine and booze but I have no musical abillity whatsoever. I can't even clap in tune.

There you go. That's me.
Flion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewaitersitsondown wrote:

Nice job. What did you use to record/master? And, I'm assuming that was you on both instruments...
Natashabi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar but have never actually tried.

After being surrounded by really good instrumentalists when I was in the music program, I decided I would never be able to play anything.

So I sing. Voice Performance was my major for 4 years, focusing on Opera, Musical Theatre, and Choral works.

I play the piano extremely poorly.
urthona

Location: everywhere and nowhere. It's a metaphysical thing. But usually seattle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these guitar and bass players... but where are my horn players? I can't be the only one.

I play Alto, Tenor, and Baritone sax. And like a lot of people I play piano... horribly. Yet I enjoy it so much. Ah well. At least I know it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sklent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dabbled in bass and mandolin, but I always get drawn back to guitar. Mandolin and bass just really aren't all that fun to play solo.
Halen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kiddie, I was grade 8 violin and piano. I sang, I played drums, I played guitar and bass guitar, recorder, and had a bash at the oboe.

But now I just kinda tap along to the radio on my desk. Hoorah.
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flion wrote:
thewaitersitsondown wrote:

Nice job. What did you use to record/master? And, I'm assuming that was you on both instruments...

Yep, that's all me. Just a shitty computer mic to record, and mastered with AcidExpress, a free program. www.acidplanet.com although the site was having trouble earlier. It's not bad, does the trick.
Sklent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of guitar are you using?
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acoustic is an Art & Lutherie, pretty decent lower end acoustic. Electric is an Epiphone SG. It is oh so sexy, and does lead quite well. Has sort of a bluesey sound that I like, but still twangy/thin-sounding enough that it's quite audible over other instruments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: