welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3/27/07 - No
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sojobo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
I'm not judging.

You didn't say you don't the fuck why food is better what they'll why are you get drunk angry at your smallminded limited experiences are all colored you've described your parents lazy? who the hell and why are you even than giving money is it even possibly talks about love privilege keep on doing this they don't know how can you let justice pour down like rain claim you revere either Paul you've never been the Bible lazy follow, yeah what if it were anyone, much less Jesus.

You fucking well were too judging!

God, you make me sad.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You apparently disagree with my assesment. That's all I got from that stream of consciousness. Try full sentences with periods and shit. After you've calmed down a minute.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please give me an example of what would be judging, in that context

and periods are for girls
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
I'm not judging.

You didn't say you don't the fuck why food is better what they'll why are you get drunk angry at your smallminded limited experiences are all colored you've described your parents lazy? who the hell and why are you even than giving money is it even possibly talks about love privilege keep on doing this they don't know how can you let justice pour down like rain claim you revere either Paul you've never been the Bible lazy follow, yeah what if it were anyone, much less Jesus.

You fucking well were too judging!

God, you make me sad.

...that didn't even make grammatical sense. I will, however, try to parse.

Quote:
You didn't say you don't the fuck

???
Quote:
why food is better

because if someone has lost their self will to alcohol, they will make choices even they think are stupid, given the money. Just food helps them out, and isn't as abusable.

Quote:
what they'll why are you get drunk

ok..
Quote:
angry at your smallminded limited experiences
Quote:
are all colored

yes. we get angry at small-minded fundes. I suppose their experiences are colored or biased.

Quote:
you've described your parents lazy?

are his parents bums? 'cus mellowfish only called bums lazy, not his parents.

Quote:
who the hell and why are you even than

who the hell [are you?]? why are you (doing what?)
Quote:
giving money

he isn't giving money
Quote:
is it even possibly talks about love privilege

??
Quote:
keep on doing this

??
Quote:
they don't know how can you let justice pour down like rain

who is 'they' in this case?
Quote:
claim you revere either Paul
either paul or what?
Quote:
you've never been the Bible lazy follow
Mellowfish never seen the bible? not likely,methinks
Quote:
yeah what if it were anyone, much less Jesus.

I'm guessing this is in reference to jesus saying "even so as you do these things unto the least of these, you have done them unto me". that makes sense in this situation
Sojobo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's melange, non parsable, and even granting the err in approach, you're still mostly wrong, except the last line

go away
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the point in posting something that can't be parsed, and therefore not read?

I realize there is almost definitely errors in my approach (I'm no linguist), and I realize I would probably be wrong.

the point was, you posted gobbledygook, and that was a best-effort attempt to understand it. obviously it failed.

Quote:
go away

make me

edit: also, what do you mean by melange? are you referring to the Dune books? or is this just some slang i don't know?

Last edited by YenTheFirst on Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
rm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YenTheFirst wrote:
what's the point in posting something that can't be parsed, and therefore not read?

I realize there is almost definitely errors in my approach (I'm no linguist), and I realize I would probably be wrong.

the point was, you posted gobbledygook, and that was a best-effort attempt to understand it. obviously it failed.

I was trying to convey the sense of half a dozen angry comments in my head fighting to get out first. And it's wasn't just a style effect I was going for - the angerfrustration was the message, which is why parsing kills it.

The calm version would be something like:

MellowFish wrote:
I'm not judging.

You didn't say you didn't give bums money because they would spend it getting drunk, so giving food was better; you didn't say you were worried that giving them money would lock them into a vicious cycle of panhandling; you said that you say no to bums because most of them are lazy.

That is judging. That's just exactly what judging is.

And it's smallminded judgment, at that. Not only is your life experience too limited for your assessment to be accurate or useful, but to dismiss a whole person with the term "lazy," is thoughtless and dehumanizing.

You've read the Bible, I know you have, and I know you think you revere it, but yet somehow it seems like you've missed out on the understanding of it.

Do you not realize that God's Judgment of Israel was consistantly based, NOT on whether they were faithful about the commanded sacrifices, but on how well they treated their widows and orphans:
Amos 5:23,24 wrote:
Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps.

But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!

Just repeat that to yourself a few times - it's one of the most shiverybeautiful lines in all of Scripture.

What if that beggar was Jesus? Would you still dismiss him as too lazy to be helped? Would you still consider him unlovable? Would you still cross to the other side of the street so you don't have to look at him too close as you walk by?

Who's lazy?
kame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartbomb wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
bums are usually being lazy (often enough to generalize)

Where I live, homelessness and panhandling are linked primarily to drug addiction and a staggering rate of mental illness (thanks to a disastrous experiment in deinstitutionalization), so I tend to disagree.

Anyhoo, the strip's a pretty good encapsulation of Li'l E, and he's my favorite character, so I like it.

This is exactly why Mellowfish does not deserve the time wasted typing to him. He is a hypocrite. Jesus Fucking Christ told his followers to be nice to the poor. He isn't no Christian, just a receptively that has had nothing but nonsense into its head since it could think. That is why I hate Fundamentalism in any form, it gives license to believe any horse shit you want.

I for one will not be wasting my time with him again, he's got to figure this shit out on his own, it is the only way.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YenTheFirst wrote:
calling someone ignorant doesn't help. neither do insults. fix the ignorance.

Calling him ignorant and throwing insults did too help! I felt loads better afterwards. Have fun 'fixing the ignorance' because... well, it ain't gunna happen.
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo, thanks. that makes more sense. Normally I can read stream of conciosness texts just fine, but sometimes it's hard.

Samsally wrote:

Calling him ignorant and throwing insults did too help! I felt loads better afterwards.
bah, humbug.

Samsally wrote:
Have fun 'fixing the ignorance' because... well, it ain't gunna happen.

then what's the point of school? people go to school to have their ignorance fixed. obviously, it can't be forced, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to be dense on purpose? I was talking about mellowfish, he's a lost cause. I'm not the only one to think so, either.

"Ignorance" isn't such an accurate word for someone who refuses to learn. Perhaps that is where the confusion came from. Since I'm the one that said it first, then I appologize for that. He's really more arrogant.

Happy now?
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panhandlers of american society are not the poor, the widows, and the orphans of jesus day. Those people are working 3 jobs trying to stay afloat in a society which has a "pull yousrelf up by the bootstraps" mentality. Therefore it makes more sense to donate to charities and such which help *those* people than giving money to random people on the street.

Judging, btw, would be adopting the aforementioned mentality of people who are poor are only that way becuase they want to be. Saying that *some* people are that way is merely stating fact, and acting on that act is not judging, its being shrewd, which is another thing Jesus said to be.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
The panhandlers of american society are not the poor, the widows, and the orphans of jesus day. Those people are working 3 jobs trying to stay afloat in a society which has a "pull yousrelf up by the bootstraps" mentality. Therefore it makes more sense to donate to charities and such which help *those* people than giving money to random people on the street.

Judging, btw, would be adopting the aforementioned mentality of people who are poor are only that way becuase they want to be. Saying that *some* people are that way is merely stating fact, and acting on that act is not judging, its being shrewd, which is another thing Jesus said to be.

You didn't say some. You felt it was often enough the case to generalize.

What happena my handle?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I objected to was the offhanded generalization, though I can see how it seems logical in Mellow's mind.

In the context that MellowFish does volunteer at soup kitchens, I grant that he's at least a little bit Christian.

As to society's "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality, I'm not sure that Christianity is meant to be compatible with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: