welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/13/07 - I Wish I Was Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain.Damage wrote:
Calvin and Hobbes has been this introspective and more so in plenty of strips.

Bill Waterson has a masters in Philosphy.

He has done plenty of bedtime scenes where the characters contemplate life and death.

yes - but not so much their _own_ deaths (well, besides hobbes contemplating the possibility of dying in one of calvin's sledding escapades). i can recall sensitive episodes about death, even - the death of the little raccoon immediately comes to mind - but calvin thinking he'd rather not exist? i don't think so.

both may be philosophical, but i think there's a fundamental difference in the philosophy - enough so that one, despite surface similarities, is _not_ like the other.
bun bun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kry wrote:
TestTubeError wrote:
I don't think calling people "emo kids" is very sympathetic or helpful.

I'm not very sympathetic. A thread full of "OMFG I THINK OF DYING TOO ALL THE TIME" makes me less sympathetic.

Sorry if I'm not being helpful. Also, fuck you for being defensive. Noone begs for depression, and god knows I had a really bad one not far away from today, but I will say whatever I want to say if I feel like it. And I wasn't all "OMFG I WANT TO DIE" all over the place, because when I am fucked up, I keep it to myself instead of seeking attention or throwing my depression to the nearest fan to make it reach as much people as possible. Am I cold? Sure. Do I have no empathy? Probably. I know people that thought about killing themselves and actually some of them tried. A couple of them succeeded. So what. Cheer up, emo kids.

CHEER THE FUCK UP.

My original post was a tongue-in-cheek kind of friendly "PEOPLE PLEASE DON'T BE DEPRESSED, IT'S SILLY". This one is directed at you, TestTubeError, because you are calling me on my post. Please get depressed.

As one of the attackees, I agree. Entirely. The point of the comic was not that she was contemplating suicide, but that she just felt tired of dealing with stuff, and stuff, and more stuff, and people, and MORE stuff. The only way get complete and immediate peace is to die. Contemplating that is not necessarily contemplating suicide, just thinking, "FOR GOD'S SAKE WOULD LIFE JUST STOP HARASSING ME." She then considers the practical downside to death, i.e. she won't be able to make the world remember her.

There are people who suffer from constant, clinical depression. I doubt that anyone who has posted so far in this thread has. If you can stop yourself from trying to commit suicide again and again and again and again, without the use of medication, you are NOT the kind of depressed that needs indulgence and medication and care.

If you're not seriously clinically depressed, then stop being so goddamn self-indulgent. I've been one of those retards who tried to take the coward's way out, and it's not worth being proud of, and yes, it is emo. It's not a beautiful thing to do, it's not unusual, it's not like being martyred, it's just asinine.

Once again, to get back to the comic: contemplating death IS NOT THE SAME AS contemplating suicide. I read this comic as an expression of frustration, not depression or suicidal tendencies.
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Brain.Damage wrote:

He has done plenty of bedtime scenes where the characters contemplate life and death.

yes - but not so much their _own_ deaths (well, besides hobbes contemplating the possibility of dying in one of calvin's sledding escapades). i can recall sensitive episodes about death, even - the death of the little raccoon immediately comes to mind - but calvin thinking he'd rather not exist? i don't think so.

both may be philosophical, but i think there's a fundamental difference in the philosophy - enough so that one, despite surface similarities, is _not_ like the other.

I completely agree, but you have to addmit this strip looks a lot like the bedtime scene strips with calvin.
Secret

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Brain.Damage wrote:

'Introspective'!='I wish I was dead'

C&H is extremely introspective.
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kry wrote:

On related news: Cheer up, emo kids.

More importantly: Stop writing for emo kids, Tatsuya.
PinkSpider43

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:

Once again, to get back to the comic: contemplating death IS NOT THE SAME AS contemplating suicide.
If you're contemplating suicide and the only thing stopping you is "people won't remember me" you need to find help.

Death is interesting to think and wonder about, though. Much in the same way life is.
bun bun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkSpider43 wrote:
bun bun wrote:

Once again, to get back to the comic: contemplating death IS NOT THE SAME AS contemplating suicide.
If you're contemplating suicide and the only thing stopping you is "people won't remember me" you need to find help.

Death is interesting to think and wonder about, though. Much in the same way life is.

She wasn't contemplating suicide. She was contemplating death. You missed my entire point. Die in a fire.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain.Damage wrote:

I completely agree, but you have to addmit this strip looks a lot like the bedtime scene strips with calvin.

...you mean the ones where he's dealing with the monsters under the bed?
Smartbomb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkentelechy wrote:
Kry wrote:

On related news: Cheer up, emo kids.

More importantly: Stop writing for emo kids, Tatsuya.

I think this thread could use a bit of "calm down, angry kids."
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it, because no matter how much everyone argues about whether or not this is emo, we've all at some point contemplated the same thing. And if you haven't yet, you will. *shrug*
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
And if you haven't yet, you will. *shrug*

DUNDUNDUNNN!!
PinkSpider43

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:

She wasn't contemplating suicide. She was contemplating death. You missed my entire point. Die in a fire.
Yes, that's what I said.

I was just saying that line of reasoning would be silly if she was contemplating suicide, so it makes more sense for her to be contemplating death in general.

I'll get to work on that fire though, JUST FOR YOU, BUN
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Brain.Damage wrote:

...you mean the ones where he's dealing with the monsters under the bed?

Don't you remember the one where he caught the flu really badly, and he was up at night talking about how it's so scary to be sick at night?
Secret

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'What if they have to operate? What if the operation fails? What if this is my last night... ALIVE?'
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
'What if they have to operate? What if the operation fails? What if this is my last night... ALIVE?'

At least someone knows what I'm talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: