welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/13/07 - I Wish I Was Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TestTubeError

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My dad made what I think is a good point to me, after he found out about one of my suicide "attempts". He said, "People who want to die buy a gun."

Your dad has a myopic view of the world.
bun bun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TestTubeError wrote:
Quote:
My dad made what I think is a good point to me, after he found out about one of my suicide "attempts". He said, "People who want to die buy a gun."

Your dad has a myopic view of the world.

I'd like to think he didn't. He thought about committing suicide a lot before the cancer got him, and didn't. He had a military surplus catalog open to the handguns on his chairside table once, which I hid.

His point was that people who want to die when trying to commit suicide, unless they're extremely unlucky, will die.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is wanting to die and determined to die (accidents are another thing). Those who are determined to die will do it no matter what (rope is awful easy to get and you can easily hang yourself in a way that makes it impossible to undo once you have started). There are many who want to die but don't have the energy to do it. For bipolar, the real danger isn't the depression but when they are coming down off the manic or are in a mixed state.

You shouldn't trivialize the want to die just because they don't "succeed".

bun bun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, it matters little to me whether or not someone I don't know is on medication. I consider it unwise, self-indulgent, and childish to be on anti-depressant medication if your depression is situational, but it's your business.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once psychs can figure out how to seperate situation and "physical" depression, if there is a distiction, I'll agree with you. In the meantime, I'll continue to suggest that counseling should be the first resort and meds the last.
cletusowns

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
cletusowns wrote:
Stopping yourself from going all the way just means you're not only depressed but you're a pussy as well. .... People constantly contemplating suicide should be on meds.
You are an idiot.

Brain.Damage wrote:
I think the coolest form of depression would either be Manic (bipolar) or possibly Dysthymia.
You are also an idiot. I don't know how you can possibly think that dysthymia is fun but I can promise you that mania isn't fun either.

Damn america and their reliance on pills to make them happy.

I was joking but the point is seriously depressed people should be on meds. I am not saying like "I got a b on my test and feel down time to pop some anti depressants" lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Once psychs can figure out how to seperate situation and "physical" depression, if there is a distiction, I'll agree with you. In the meantime, I'll continue to suggest that counseling should be the first resort and meds the last.

They already have. Physical depression and situational depression are very different, and are easily separated. There are different symptoms, different patterns of behaviour.

Manic depression is very easily diagnosed. A real manic depressive (of the sort that exhibits mania; there are sorts of real manic depressives that don't) will exhibit signs of actual mania. The heart will race, (s)he'll get jittery, lose sleep, not be able to sit still. One woman I knew would literally cover the floor of her hospital room with drawings she did on tissues. She didn't sleep for three days at the height of mania.

Edited because Fiona makes me want to stab babies.

Last edited by bun bun on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some exceptions, my opinion of the mental (and actual) age of most of the people on this forum has just dropped several notches.
Kry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Once psychs can figure out how to seperate situation and "physical" depression, if there is a distiction, I'll agree with you.

... how can you be so fucking ignorant and pretend you know what you're talking about? Jesus christ, go back to sex talk or whatever it is that you're good at talking about, if you're good at anything.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:
They already have. Physical depression and situational depression are very different, and are easily separated. There are different symptoms, different patterns of behaviour.

Manic depression is very easily diagnosed. A real manic depressive (of the sort that exhibits mania; there are sorts that don't) will exhibit signs of actual mania. The heart will race, (s)he'll get jittery, lose sleep, not be able to sit still. One woman I knew would literally cover the floor of her hospital room with drawings she did on tissues. She didn't sleep for three days at the height of mania.

Actually the symptoms can be quite similar. Similar things can happen in the brain. What you must be refering to is the fact that your "physical" depression has a biological cause that is triggered by situations and doesn't go away. "Situational" depression still has brain imbalances if it is bad enough but will revert back to the norm after the situation has been dealt with. Though of course the actual chemical "cause" of the depression vary from person to person even if we exclude your non-organic causes. At a certain intensity, they call it clinical depression regardless of root cause. Even those with biological reasons for their disposition can be more "normal" than someone with situational depression. Coping is everything.

And Bipolar Disorder isn't very easily diagnosed. Not all real bipolar people will exibit proper mania. If I remember correctly, bipolar II don't require a manic episode at all to be considered bipolar. Mixed episodes will toss them into that catagory. Clinical depression or bipolar disorder isn't easy to diagnose properly at all. The history of the person has to be known not to mention that even those who have a rapid cycle take a lot of observation to diagnose. Rapid my ass. 4 mood shifts a year doesn't sound rapid to me but that is the definition. Oh, and it has been suggested that antidepressants like Prozac actually make bipolar people worse so you better get the diagnosis right.

I am not saying that everyone who is sad should try meds. Just the opposite. Too many psychiatrists hand out the meds like candy. Therapy is the way to go with meds as a back up if time shows it is necessary.

bun bun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
bun bun wrote:
A real manic depressive (of the sort that exhibits mania; there are sorts that don't)

Not all real bipolar people will exibit proper mania. If I remember correctly, bipolar II don't require a manic episode at all to be considered bipolar.

Please read what I write before responding.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then make sense. You can have a real bipolar disorder person that doesn't exibit mania. I just clarified.
bun bun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I said. A real manic depressive, specifically of the sort that exhibits mania, will exhibit real, honest to god mania. I was not suggesting that all real manic depressives MUST exhibit mania.

...godDAMN.
Kry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Then make sense.

You could start doing some research on that fields, THEN making sense yourself. You know, just so this doens't look as you're just randomly yelling inacurate second-hand information that that can make blush any person with half knowledge in the matter.
bun bun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, Kry, she's right in that major situational depression can resemble physical depression, in some extremely severe cases, in the short-term.

However. That does not warrant anti-depressants, which are for long-term use, by people whose brains do not have the capability to revert to normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: