welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/13/07 - I Wish I Was Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *really* hate it when people assume they know the capabilities of another person.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:
... people whose brains do not have the capability to revert to normal.

Sounds like half the people in this forum.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing to do with the topic in question, but I saw this context-based advert in the forums and thought it was funny :-)

http://www.filecore.net/mince/context.bmp
Kry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
bun bun wrote:
... people whose brains do not have the capability to revert to normal.

Sounds like half the people in this forum.

LOL YOUR SO EDGY'N'SHIT LOL
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kry wrote:

You could start doing some research on that fields, THEN making sense yourself. You know, just so this doens't look as you're just randomly yelling inacurate second-hand information that that can make blush any person with half knowledge in the matter.

What on earth has given you the impression that she knows this only by second-hand knowledge? Hm?
Kry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Kry wrote:

You could start doing some research on that fields, THEN making sense yourself. You know, just so this doens't look as you're just randomly yelling inacurate second-hand information that that can make blush any person with half knowledge in the matter.

What on earth has given you the impression that she knows this only by second-hand knowledge? Hm?

The fact that her statements are ignorant and completely unacurate? Maybe it's not second-hand knowledge, which I used for inacurate bullshit, but plain stupidity. You're right. Maybe she's just plain stupid and ignorant. Thanks for opening my eyes on the issue.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe there's a language barrier and you're not understanding what she's trying to convey.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:
However. That does not warrant anti-depressants, which are for long-term use, by people whose brains do not have the capability to revert to normal.

I would tend to agree but the way psychiatrists are acting, they don't agree. I understand the use of meds in the short term for severe cases. Mind you, short term may be years but not a lifetime. Psychiatry is odd like that. Even those with what you are calling organic bipolar disorder can deal without meds if changes in their lifestyle is made and/or their brain changes to the point where it is more manageable.

The idea of meds vs therapy doesn't get enough press if you ask me. So many stupid fucking doctors are ready to write an Rx on minimal information without in depth therapy. The philosophy behind that is something I don't understand. However, saying that situational depression doesn't ever warrent medication is silly. There are changes to the brain chemistry, an imbalance if you will, even in those who have what could be called situational depression. Meds are a tool and can be used properly to shore up the deficiencies of someone who isn't capable of recovering on their own even when it isn't strictly a biological cause. But hey, we could adjust the definition of bipolar disorder and other clinical problems to only include those who are not capable of returning to "normal" but not only it that not practical, we don't know enough about the brain to be able to discern who would fall into what catagory if there even is a functional difference. The distinction isn't very clear at all when you take into account that it is situational stress that triggers bipolar disorder. If it was all genetics and therefore only an innate physical problem with the brain, the twin studies would come out different. Very high correlation but not 1 by any means.

Not to mention that we just can't tell who will and who won't return to normal. Therapy first followed by an evaluation for the necessity of medication is the way to go.

And I said stuff about bipolar II not showing "honest to god mania" was because you said bipolar disorder was easy to diagnose. It isn't.

Kry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Or maybe there's a language barrier and you're not understanding what she's trying to convey.

Okay. "DURR DURR IMMA SPANIARD DOESN'T KNOW TEH INTERNETS LANGUAGES LOL DICTIONAIRES".

Is that your point?
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother is diagnosed bipolar. He's been since he was young. I've lived with my brother when he didn't take any medication, and I would never wish that on him ever again. My brother is a night and day difference with his medication. There is an obvious, even to an untrained eye, chemical imbalance with him. He couldn't get the equivalent of that with therapy, he's tried therapy -- it didn't produce the same results.

When he's on his medications, he's a functioning adult who handles, as best as any of us can, what life throws at him. I'm not a big fan of medicating people if you can help them with their issues through therapy. But I won't say that can work for everyone. It really depends the person, their chemical makeup, and what the best solution is for them. In my brother's case, medication is the best solution for him.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kry wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:
Then make sense.

Maybe you could be so kind as to show what is wrong about her words, instead of just shouting "OLOL YOUR IGNOrANT!".
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that screaming that you're right doesn't convince me or anyone in the slightest.

reasonablymad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, people. snort some ritalin and chill out.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize that once you hit puberty Ritalin stops being a downer and becomes an upper right? I think that would shoot them through the roof.
Darkman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression it always is an upper. Something to do with the brain chem being all wacked out on people with ADD and having a different effect.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman wrote:
I was under the impression it always is an upper. Something to do with the brain chem being all wacked out on people with ADD and having a different effect.

Yes though they don't know how it works. It is also used to treat narcolepsy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: