welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 442, 443, 444  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mini J

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I've always loved Simcity, I haven't even bothered paying attention to this one, because I knew of the always-on and because it was by EA. Looks like it was the right decision. I was so excited about simcity 4 too (which I still enjoy playing every so often.)

I'm only disappointed that the only lesson EA takes from this is liable to be "Look at the terrible reviews! People obviously don't like Simcity anymore, let's kill the IP and close down Maxis."
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the really depressing part. You can see from all the reviews that (lurking under all the bullshit) Maxis has actually crafted a fairly excellent game.

If only EA's servers actually worked.
Desire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be completely crazy for EA to offer refunds on a digital product.
I hear people complaining about this on TS3 forum often enough. But, in the end, so many people would abuse it, if they did. I think there are few companies that would allow them.

SimCity was going to have issues. It really was, anyone who is an EA customer could have predicted it. I pretty much did predict where their issues would be too. EA's tech people for anything internet seem to not really understand what they are doing. If they have been cutting corners by not hiring people who completely qualified for the job (as I suspect), then they need to wake up and realize that they are moving their business in this direction and they need to have professionals who can handle it.

Graeme just bought it last night finally. I had warned him not to pre-order because I could see what was coming. I think he should have waited until it goes on sale but he really wanted it and as the server issues seem to be mostly cleared-up he went ahead.

They are also going to follow "The Sims 3" design of charging for extras separately. Want bigger cities? Going to have to pay separate. And so forth. It won't be anything crucial to the game, but a lot of the cool stuff will be for purchase separately. As a long-time Sims player, I can't argue against that system; it has paid off very well for them! Over the years, I have managed to purchase or be gifted 2/3's of the store myself but yeah, I expect there will be a lot of complaints about it (just like there is with TS3 store).

You have to know what you are getting into when you buy an EA game.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I think you've made some very good arguments why no one should purchase EA products--as long as EA knows that they'll keep making money they'll keep making half-assed products. That is, cost over quality. This isn't directed at anyone specifically, but I'm really sick of all these people who say "well yeah, it'll probably be buggy and suck at first but I'll still buy it any way--" to which I want to scream "WHAT THE MOTHER LOVING FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!?"

Would you buy a box of taco shells if there was a better than 50% chance that a significant portion of them were crushed to bits? Would you buy shoes if the soles had a 30% likelihood of falling off every time you walked out the door? Would you get cable TV if every third or fourth channel didn't come in? Would you play with a deck of cards if a dozen or so were missing?

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. People are willing to buy an exceedingly substandard product and just bitch about it? GRAAAFFAAHH!!!

And FUCK THE REVIEWERS. They're 99% beholden to EA for advertising revenue, they don't DARE directly address this for what it is: an utter failing of customer service and an extraordinary disappointment. Imagine if when the next Star Wars came out that the film died 3 seconds into at most of the movie theaters and the patrons in turn were not offered any sort of compensation, except for maybe free sodas, and told that they would have to buy new tickets weeks later if they wanted to see the movie. There would be RIOTS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Would you buy a box of taco shells if there was a better than 50% chance that a significant portion of them were crushed to bits? Would you buy shoes if the soles had a 30% likelihood of falling off every time you walked out the door? Would you get cable TV if every third or fourth channel didn't come in? Would you play with a deck of cards if a dozen or so were missing?

Except, entire industries are built on the fact that people do this. Close out and overstock companies, Dollar Store style chains. People are more than willing to buy broken products so long as they have even the flimsiest of justifications to tell themselves.

Quote:
And FUCK THE REVIEWERS.

Out of curiosity, who is this actually aimed at? Most of the reviews I've seen have said the same basic thing, good overall, cities are waaaaaaay too small, launch has been a ridiculous debacle. Who out there is crazy enough to ignore such a newsworthy catastrophe by pretending that there haven't been problems?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviewers who were giving out anything above a 3, a D ,or any non-abyssmal. Critical flaws like this are simply inexcusable, especially by a AAA game company: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity , more precisely here: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity/critic-reviews

You know something is up when there's this kind of disparity between professional critics and the consumer:

To view it in closer numbers, the users could be thought of as 17, 4, and 130

And that's my whole point: the industry has deteriorated to this point, mostly under pressures to show more immediate returns to stock holders and investors. The idea that "software is never done" and that "it goes through many iterations" has been spun into an excuse for paying full price for a highly subpar product. I'm fully aware of how the game industry "works", SimCity is merely exhibit "A" in making a case for just how broken this "working system" has become.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the professional reviewers got to play an early, non-public release that didn't have the kind of ridiculous server problems and so got to review the actual gameplay.
Once the general public tried to connect and couldn't do so for a week, there was a severe backlash against the specific connectivity issue which results in mass down-votings and one-star reviews. Some of these were even organized.

The difference between the two is not one of being paid shills versus giving honest opinions, but of actually getting to play the game for a while or not.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the fact that most of the critic scores were submitted prelaunch, and metacritic doesn't allow scores to be changed after the fact. Good example: pre-launch SimCity rated a 9.5 on Polygon, it's since been revised to a 4, but metacritic will never update to show that.

And, (this isn't a shot at you Darq, this just bewilders me in general) I don't understand why people use metacritic anyway. Easily skewed and manipulated data with no context doesn't exactly make me think reliable source of information.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempting to stray away from the SimCity debacle, what do people think of the Neverwinter MMO coming up? I'm personally hovering between cool and meh. I'm not used to an MMO having more races than classes.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting but I'm a bit skeptical. Sorta hate that they made it free to play, but then have this currency system like an app or something.

Generally I'm just sick of the "you have to spend real money to do anything cool in this game" mentality that seems to be taking over gaming. I'd rather just have an upfront price and then have full access to the game, even if the upfront price is a monthly thing.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Attempting to stray away from the SimCity debacle, what do people think of the Neverwinter MMO coming up? I'm personally hovering between cool and meh. I'm not used to an MMO having more races than classes.

Personally, I'm psyched about Inexile: Torment.

Even though i'm *JUST NOW* playing Planescape: Torment.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Ya know, I think you've made some very good arguments why no one should purchase EA products--as long as EA knows that they'll keep making money they'll keep making half-assed products. That is, cost over quality. This isn't directed at anyone specifically, but I'm really sick of all these people who say "well yeah, it'll probably be buggy and suck at first but I'll still buy it any way--" to which I want to scream "WHAT THE MOTHER LOVING FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!?"

I am someone who has been buying EA games for over a decade. Namely, all the Sims games from the start. And Spore (which is okay but could have been so much better! But my 6-year-old loves it so there is that). Those are the only two EA games I have on Origin. And there is a reason for that-- because I have been playing The Sims for so long, I know what to expect.

However, I love the Sims games and because of this, I am willing to put up with the issues and glitches...to a point. Luckily, The Sims community is HUGE and there are many talented programmers/modders who love the games as well and create mods to fix most of the issues. When you love something so much (as with people), you are willing to put up with more problems and issues. To a point anyway. EA does a great job of skirting this line for the majority of the Simmers out there.

The Sims has a horribly flawed game engine, every EP just adds to the issues. From what I've read, they'd have to completely re-write the game coding to fix it all (or try). Thankfully, it is good enough that modders can work with it and fix many of the things for them. EA encourages modders within the Sims community for this reason, I suspect.

The game may be flawed, but it is still an amazing game with many different levels of play that appeals to a broad variety of players. Many Sims fans tend to be devoted to the game (not EA, though there are those too). This is how they get away with it. Basically, we'd rather have a flawed Sims game then no Sims game. Yes, there are people who complain. But there are different ways/types of complaining. Most real Sims fans don't tend to rant about it and get all crazy and loud about it. We understand the product is buggy but we love it anyway. We complain because we want it to be better, but also look for ways to improve the play ourselves.

I am not sure how many games could carry this all off. But I will say SimCity has a huge following and may be another game people play (and pay) and love in spite of the issues. If they allow it, I am sure modders will improve any issues they can. Obviously, some issues (like servers) are beyond this scope. In spite of the issues, it does seem like SimCity itself is a good game at its core and it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I have loved SimsCity for years so if they get the servers and saving issues fixed, I expect I will also purchase it at some point.

Yinello wrote:
what do people think of the Neverwinter MMO coming up?

I am more interested in Elder Scrolls Online.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
If they allow it, I am sure modders will improve any issues they can. Obviously, some issues (like servers) are beyond this scope.

Interesting to note: part of SimCity's problems is the fact that the more intensive simulation stuff is actually run by their servers, not your computer, so the odds of major mods being a thing for SimCity are about nil. Skins, maybe. But I'd be surprised to see more than that.

EDIT: Apparently, that whole "servers doing stuff" thing may be a big fat lie.

Last edited by Arc Tempest on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In unsurprising news, Heart of the Swarm is good.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if Neverwinter can pull of a GW2 (sell only vanity stuff for real monies) that it could do fine.

I'm also excited for ESO.

As for HotS, my hubby is all over it. But some of the dialogue really makes me cringe so badly. Also the poster he got with his collectors edition is nothing but tits and asses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 442, 443, 444  Next
Page 356 of 444

Jump to: