welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 371, 372, 373 ... 443, 444, 445  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3321
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be thrilled if some of the earlier consoles could be recreated cheaply with more energy efficiency, and marketed for retro gaming. Can't play muh f the new stuff because the fancy graphics make me nauseous.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Felgraf



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 714

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Actually, let's alter this comment for spoilers:

HOLY CRAP NEW CHARACTER FOR SMASH BROS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDgNn0Mg79Y

(Try not to look at the title of the video-the reveal is so much more awesome that way)
_________________
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12142
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I'd be thrilled if some of the earlier consoles could be recreated cheaply with more energy efficiency, and marketed for retro gaming. Can't play muh f the new stuff because the fancy graphics make me nauseous.

The original NES has lost its patent protection by now, so this is actually a thing. Older consoles like the 2600? Same thing. Contemporaries like the Master System and Megadrive by Sega are also out of patent protection, and many clones exist. Most of them use a system-on-a-chip that has almost all the hardware etched into a single piece of silicon instead of spread out through discrete circuits, making them much more power efficient.
Things get more complicated when you get into more advanced consoles that, although they may have expired patents, contain copyrighted firmware that can't legally be copied. Reverse-engineering is usually allowed, but the results are often imperfect and it is a lot of effort (think emulators), so systems like that don't get as many cheap clones made.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DeD CHiKn



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 10223
Location: Baltimore, Maryla*gunshot*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I'd be thrilled if some of the earlier consoles could be recreated cheaply with more energy efficiency, and marketed for retro gaming. Can't play muh f the new stuff because the fancy graphics make me nauseous.


I'd be happy if they could just release some older games so I don't have to go through collectors.

I love Ogre Battle, I'm not gonna pay $150 for it though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6399

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm apparently the only one playing Animal Crossing. Boo!

Anyway, of COURSE one of my first residents is a bear because I really hate bears. AND he's obsessed with exercise because of course let's make him as annoying as possible.

Then he goes and asks me for a cherry salmon I'm not even sure I can catch this time of year? Like, there isn't a lot of info out on this game specifically, but all the other games say they only come out in the fall.

UGH, fuck you, stupid bear.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeD CHiKn



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 10223
Location: Baltimore, Maryla*gunshot*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hate on the bears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10290
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
I'd be thrilled if some of the earlier consoles could be recreated cheaply with more energy efficiency, and marketed for retro gaming. Can't play muh f the new stuff because the fancy graphics make me nauseous.

The original NES has lost its patent protection by now, so this is actually a thing. Older consoles like the 2600? Same thing. Contemporaries like the Master System and Megadrive by Sega are also out of patent protection, and many clones exist. Most of them use a system-on-a-chip that has almost all the hardware etched into a single piece of silicon instead of spread out through discrete circuits, making them much more power efficient.
Things get more complicated when you get into more advanced consoles that, although they may have expired patents, contain copyrighted firmware that can't legally be copied. Reverse-engineering is usually allowed, but the results are often imperfect and it is a lot of effort (think emulators), so systems like that don't get as many cheap clones made.

They're still making consoles and cartridges for lesser developed parts of the world.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Edit: Actually, let's alter this comment for spoilers:

HOLY CRAP NEW CHARACTER FOR SMASH BROS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDgNn0Mg79Y

(Try not to look at the title of the video-the reveal is so much more awesome that way)


This one's better: http://youtu.be/lBoL1Ic9uWw

Just saying.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arc Tempest



Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 4895
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thoughts from replaying a bunch of older games:

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade - still excellent.

Dawn of War 2 - still terrible.

Dawn of War 2: Retribution - still excellent.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - still has the best anti-war scene ever.

Rome Total War - still excellent.

Shogun 2 Total War - feudal Japan is now a banana where angry peasant hordes have exterminated the samurai. Your argument is invalid.
_________________
The older I get, the more certain I become of one thing. True and abiding cynicism is simply a form of cowardice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CalmBlueSea



Joined: 12 Apr 2013
Posts: 136
Location: Massachusetts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So E3 happened, and from what I've seen Sony basically just flipped Microsoft the bird and said, "Well fuck you then. If you're just going to be an all-out shit to your customers, we're just going to do the opposite of you, can declare it loudly and proudly, and be applauded for not being you."

I was already pretty much sold on the PS4, but now I may just consider buying it nearer to launch. We'll see how that launch actually goes, first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3542
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then sony kinda mentioned they would charge for online play and the crowd fell silent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2675
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I'm apparently the only one playing Animal Crossing. Boo!

Anyway, of COURSE one of my first residents is a bear because I really hate bears. AND he's obsessed with exercise because of course let's make him as annoying as possible.

Then he goes and asks me for a cherry salmon I'm not even sure I can catch this time of year? Like, there isn't a lot of info out on this game specifically, but all the other games say they only come out in the fall.

UGH, fuck you, stupid bear.


NOOOOOOOOO WHAT HAVE I BEEN SPAMMING ON THE LAST PAGES

I usually hate all my residents first before I grow to love them. And then they move away. Mad

And I still have to wait for Friday for my game. QQ
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CalmBlueSea



Joined: 12 Apr 2013
Posts: 136
Location: Massachusetts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Then sony kinda mentioned they would charge for online pl ay and the crowd fell silent.


True. The one pitfall I noticed in the one console that remains appealing to me for the next gen. But I'm even willing to forgive that in lieu of what the next Xbox did and what the new Nintendo didn't do (namely, pique my interest in any way).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Felgraf



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 714

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Then sony kinda mentioned they would charge for online play and the crowd fell silent.


Nah, doesn't really bug me. One of the reasons X-Box Live generally offered a *better* online play experience (including stuff like "I can voice chat easily with my friends when we are in different games") is, I suspect, because they were't trying to pony up the server time for free.
_________________
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12142
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While trying to explain to someone why the Xbox One model of game "usage" (you can't call it "ownership") is so odorous to me, it hit me that I could sum up much of it in a simple statement:

If all media were treated the way Microsoft is treating games, public libraries would not be possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 371, 372, 373 ... 443, 444, 445  Next
Page 372 of 445

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group