welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 440, 441, 442  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moar ToR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting the urge to play EVE again (watching the footage for Alliance Tournament XI was a major cause). I haven't reinstalled because... I guess I get enough spreadsheets at work? Anyway I had a brilliant plan to try out Star Trek Online. I mean, free to play, right?

Maybe it gets better if you spend money on the game, of if you stick with it through the bad parts for awhile, but from the new-player experience... I can see why this game didn't do well. Massively buggy (ex., all my away missions had enemies spawning inside obstacles, but sometimes I could use bugs to get squad members to clip through as well). Very little ability to buy money to get upgraded equipment (without paying), and the random anomaly missions gave a pittance of experience, leaving me either grinding forever or slamming my face into the wall of enemy battleship in the next story mission. It just wasn't enough fun to justify spending $20 on a non-shit ship and crew, so... yeah I'm done with that.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously toying with trying FF XIV. Wish I'd thought to try the open beta...
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From everything I've heard, I'm considering it. I absolutely hated FFXI, but... there's been a ton of talk.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel like playing eve online again too, but thankfully i have a readily available alternative in just letting someone punch me in the head
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I'm reading the FFXIV ARR launch isn't going too smoothly. But I suppose that's with every MMO.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is anyone else hopeful for Titanfall? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5sqPxbLmIU
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
i feel like playing eve online again too, but thankfully i have a readily available alternative in just letting someone punch me in the head

It's not a REAL EVE experience until they punch you in the head, steal weeks of your life, and take your wallet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Sam wrote:

It's not a REAL EVE experience until they punch you in the head, steal weeks of your life, and take your wallet.

Long time EVE player, can confirm.

---------

Hey, we haven't had any SimCity news in awhile! Looks like there are some "minor" issues affecting "some" Mac users, now that the game was released on that platform.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing watching all these amazing companies of years past just get carved into such shit. Maxis is a hard loss. Of course, I'm a wee bit sadder about what's been happening to Blizzard and Bioware, since they used to be quality leaders and now they're sick jokes.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what?

Bioware I'll fully agree with, they've been a rather sad shell since EA gobbled them up and the doctors left, but Blizzard is actually doing rather well. WoW is nearing the end of what may be the best expansion it's had (and is still expanding the team despite massive subscriber loss to the free to play scene in Asia), Starcraft 2 is maintaining it's position as an e-sport (admittedly, after having lost a hell of a lot to LoL).

And Hearthstone is looking fucking amazing.

I realize that you've got a raging hard on for their story department, but they've always said that story is pretty far down the totem pole of things they care about.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how that happens when companies populated primarily by game developers get bought by companies populated heavily by business majors.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blizzard making money hand over fist is one thing, but what I care about is that I no longer trust them to provide good games I will have any interest in.

DIII, while a game I got my money's worth out of (then promptly earned my money back at the RMAH) was too concerning a thing in sum.

Blizzard has a chance, though. It was becoming painfully obvious that their advancement to its present monetization environment was for the benefit of their corporate overlord Vivendi, which is billions of dollars in debt and was getting ready to move from aggressively short term leeching Blizzard's profitability to outright sucking the company dry. But Blizzard painfully bought back its freedom from Vivendi, so let's see where they go from here.

Bioware, on the other hand, appears permanently cooked.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Blizzard making money hand over fist is one thing, but what I care about is that I no longer trust them to provide good games I will have any interest in.

DIII, while a game I got my money's worth out of (then promptly earned my money back at the RMAH) was too concerning a thing in sum.

Blizzard has a chance, though. It was becoming painfully obvious that their advancement to its present monetization environment was for the benefit of their corporate overlord Vivendi, which is billions of dollars in debt and was getting ready to move from aggressively short term leeching Blizzard's profitability to outright sucking the company dry. But Blizzard painfully bought back its freedom from Vivendi, so let's see where they go from here.

Bioware, on the other hand, appears permanently cooked.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. There's nothing wrong with making money hand over fist for putting out great games. But take the bioware thing. They had every opportunity to succeed with SWTOR. EA decided they wanted a december release though, so they took the engine away from the company that was developing it after they asked for more time to work on it and tried to finish it off in house. Now the engine is a buggy pile of crap that cant handle the cross server ques the game desperately needs. That's not the decision of a game designer, its the decision of someone crunching numbers in an office and looking to make their stock go up a few points before the quarter ends.

Meanwhile diablo 3 has managed to actually improve its experience.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that I rather like about Blizzard is their tendency to admit mistakes and not repeat them. Jay Wilson said quite some time ago that the AH and RMAH were both a mistake and deleterious to the game as a whole, lo and behold both are gone from the console version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 440, 441, 442  Next
Page 387 of 442

Jump to: