welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 416, 417, 418 ... 441, 442, 443  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Dev Story for Android is free on the Amazon app store today.

EDIT: okay seriously this game is fantastic. I've been playing it all day (slow day at work). Just got my first hall of fame game: "Words w. Hobos."
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beta version of SteamOS is out now. It's based on Debian Wheezy (but with a 3.10 kernel backported, so you're not stuck with a 2-year old Linux version) and comes with Gnome 3 as the fallback desktop if you exit out of the Steam interface.
You'll need a machine with UEFI and an Nvidia card for now, and streaming play from a Windows machine isn't enabled yet. Some of the Realtek audio chipsets seem to be having troubles too. Also, the installation scripts will totally wipe any hdd you put it on; no dual-booting.
Ars Technica went through the install process on a $560 machine built for the test, if you want to see somebody go through all the set-up or know what to expect.

*slightly edited for not-4-am-ness*
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starbound has absorbed my life. I'm playing it constantly when I get home and when I'm not playing it because of work, I look up guides and helpful tips and videos.

It's Animal Crossing all over again.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt like I sort of plateaued and then they updated and killed off my first character. I haven't built the second one up as high yet, at least in part because I'm not sure where I would go from where I was (I know there are places to go, but I was having a hard time figuring out where or why I'd want to.)
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love exploring so much, I keep collecting coal for fuel. I also like finding dungeons and bringing back treasures. Also I saw they added pets for your character, gotta find those.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terraria is still warring for my attention. I can play it on my (SHINY NEW PRETTY) tablet while I watch movies. It's way more comfortable than playing games on my computer.

I really need to figure out a better computer setup. The banana chair is slowly killing my knees.
Mini J

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put starbound on my wishlist the first time I saw it on steam. I have been strong so far.

However, Samsally mentioning Terraria made me decide to give it a try again; I bought it during the summer sale, played for about an hour, then never played it again.

Long story short, it's 11 hours later, my village grows slowly, and the tombstones are everywhere. EVERYWHERE!
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, uh... I've been playing "The Simpsons" on my tablet. I just finished the Springfield Mall and started the First Church of Springfield. Need to level up (15) before I can build Moe's.

It's a typical tablet game, where a lot of things require a lot of time to build or can't be built at all unless you pay real money, but I really like being able to tell Millhouse to fly a model airplane perfectly level and Apu to feed the octuplets.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Simpsons games okay in general? I usually avoid games based on movies/series/and so on.

Starbound's species' armors suck visually. I will say it here to avoid rabid fans stabbing me to death. I love the species but I don't know which one I relate to more. They've got typical stereotype cultural traits: the Mayans, the Japanese (Shogun?), Medieval Europe, Futuristic Big Brother-esque, Savage African Tribe, Wild West and of course the Modern Humans (boring). I would like to see a species based on Medieval Middle East (before the Islam, where they were more advanced in levels of medicine and science compared to the West) or even one on spiritual level instead of religious.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

SIMCITY 2013 STILL SUCKS ASS
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the look of a lot of Starbound's armor. I mean it's vaguely impressive that they managed to fit boob plates into so few pixels?... I mean from a technical standpoint.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Are Simpsons games okay in general? I usually avoid games based on movies/series/and so on.

It's a good way to kill time, but like most games tied into a commercial enterprise it tries to get you spend real money. Everything takes forever unless you spend money, certain things can only be bought for real money. But I just check in on my Springfield once a day and I'm happy.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left 4 Dead 2 is currently free on Steam.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg Arc. I'm glad you posed that cuz I did get to snag it for free, but then I was like "LOOKIT ALL THESE DEALS" and $30 later I felt kind of dirty for falling for such an obvious marketing scheme.

(But now I have the PC version of Skyrim with extra doo-dads, FTL, and Portal 2. All things I've been meaning to pick up for a while. Mmmm shinies.)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:

(But now I have the PC version of Skyrim with extra doo-dads, FTL, and Portal 2. All things I've been meaning to pick up for a while. Mmmm shinies.)

Portal 2?
I'm waiting another decade to play the first Portal game

because it's still less than 15 years old
I'll get to it, though
maybe

I've worked my way through 1998, now-- I took a close-ish look at ~3 games from that year and played through one of them.
Are there any games from 1999 worth playing? I mean, there's a list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_in_video_gaming but nothing really stands out to me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 416, 417, 418 ... 441, 442, 443  Next
Page 417 of 443

Jump to: