Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 433, 434, 435  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Are there any games from 1999 worth playing? I mean, there's a list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_in_video_gaming but nothing really stands out to me

From that list, Silent Hill, System Shock 2, RollerCoaster Tycoon, and Simcity 3000 jump out at me as games that were (imho) decent and received generally positive reviews. Pokemon Snap was meh but, but had nostalgia value. Counter-Strike was the quintessential multiplayer twitch shooter. Also Mario Party and Super Smash Bros, if you're into Nintendo.

Overall I'd say '99 was a pretty good year for gaming. Lots of new IPs that are still going today.

Edit: OH FUCK HOW DID I MISS THIS. Age of Empires II and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri were and still are classics which I found a ton of fun and have a good amount of replay value.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha Centauri is AMAZING. It's literally a 'sequel' to CivII, so it's all, well, future tech. But it's (mostly) hard-sci fi future tech, and we've actually made some of it come to pass (or are close). It's scarily prescient in a number of ways, actually...

I also second the recommendation of Silent Hill (though I think Silent Hill II has a better story overall), and ABSOLUTELY System Shock 2 (Bonus: You do not need to have played the original system shock.) That game still, I think, has my favorite "Ohshit" plot-point in almost any game I've ever played.

Honestly, Pokemon Snap was really, really fun, too. Weird, but fun.

And Planescape: Torment is rightly regarded as a classic pen-and-paper-ish game. If you liked the Baldur's Gate series, you will likely find Planescape to be interesting (if also very, very different.)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Are there any games from 1999 worth playing?

Mother.

Fucking.

HOMEWORLD.

(Soul Reaver, Planescape Torment, and Longest Journey get honorable mentions.)
Echo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeworld... I wanted to love. It was stunningly beautiful. But I was rubbish, so I got frustrated and never finished it. Too often my fighter cover got murdered and I ran out of resources.

Planescape I never got into, but The Longest Journey is awesome. Shame it never got a sequel (xkcd 566 bottom strip rule). System Shock 2 is also great, but I only discovered it after I'd played Deus Ex, which somewhat took the edge off. And Alpha Centauri is still considered by some to be excellent, even definitive.

<Looks through the list herself>

I think the main points have been covered. Some very good games there - nothing quite reaching the "YOU MUST PLAY THIS OR ELSE" level, but some very good stuff nonetheless, and with Alpha Centauri in there, more than capable of eating up many, many hours of your time.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of old videogames*, The Internet Archive just put up a page with in-browser emulators and playable/downloadable ROMs for five historical consoles from the 1970s/80s.
http://blog.archive.org/2013/12/26/a-second-christmas-morning-the-console-living-room/

They also have a bunch of old PC, console, and early non-PC computer games spread through their Historical Software and Classic PC Games pages.

*Which is really what made me decide to link here instead of the Interesting Link Dump thread.
jwadd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retro gaming is part of the reason why i just invested in a new pc.

I'm going to have a steam box with dos games n shit
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit I'm into Dragon Age Origins again.

This game tugs my heartstring every time all the time.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say hello to my virtual husband Alistair for me! You can borrow him for an epic love adventure if you like. (He remains the only romance option I picked because I JUST COULDN'T STOP FLIRTING WITH HIM IT WAS TOO HYSTERICAL NOT TO)

Just don't expect to be queen and elf at the same time because the shithead will dump your ass.

I totally started Portal 2. It's already given me one really weird and creepy dream.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Say hello to my virtual husband Alistair for me! You can borrow him for an epic love adventure if you like. (He remains the only romance option I picked because I JUST COULDN'T STOP FLIRTING WITH HIM IT WAS TOO HYSTERICAL NOT TO)

Just don't expect to be queen and elf at the same time because the shithead will dump your ass.

xD I romanced him too often so I decided to go for Zevran this time. Worth it! They're both adorbs in their own weird ways. I'm still major sad Alistair isn't bisexual though - he'd be the most adorable closet gay. xD
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like there is a point he would actually implode from so much awkward, were that the case.

I've never romanced Zevran before? I kind of take issue to his incompetent attempt to murder me. I should give it a try sometime, anyway, but that always kinda bugged me, lol.

Maybe it wouldn't seem so incompetent if I ever played with the difficulty level set higher than 'easy', heh.
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play Dragon Age on PC, you can mod the game to allow same-sex romancing of Alistair by installing this.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would feel super skeevy using a mod like that for some reason. I mean, it's not like this fictional character has consent to give but it seems like taking it away all the same.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not clicking on that link but please tell me it is titled "The Homosexual Agenda" or something like that
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Equal Love"

clearly an opportunity lost.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I feel like there is a point he would actually implode from so much awkward, were that the case.

I've never romanced Zevran before? I kind of take issue to his incompetent attempt to murder me. I should give it a try sometime, anyway, but that always kinda bugged me, lol.

Maybe it wouldn't seem so incompetent if I ever played with the difficulty level set higher than 'easy', heh.

Actually that gets explained and I was quite pleased to hear why the 'master assassin' had trouble killing me. If you wish, I can spoil it for you.

I do find it annoying that he has a hard time admitting he loves me despite it being glaringly obvious. I understand it's part of his nature to be casual around sex but difficult with intimacy but gah! Alistair is more fun to romance because it makes my heart melt. But I guess I like that I got into Zevran's heart - it feels more of an achievement than getting Alistair to love you because he's never really dealt with love + sex before.

Can't I have both? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 433, 434, 435  Next
Page 418 of 435

Jump to: