welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421 ... 441, 442, 443  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
What happened to my slightly racist asshole lady in proper armor?

Don't worry, she's still racist.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
That conversation sounds super frustrating Felgraf.

If it's any consolation, if you were a lady they wouldn't imply you're a latent rapist, they'd probably just blow you off with "it's just a game it's not like it means anything." which was the tone a conversation I had recently took.

(I was talking about all the ladies getting killed off in Supernatural, so it was "It's just a show." but it's not like the sentiment doesn't get thrown around the gaming community all the time, anyway.)

Anyway, yay shitty arguments.

(Also I just realized I forgot to thank Yinello for explaining Zevran. Thanks Yinello! He does sound more interesting now, but a little angst ridden for my normal tastes. Alistair has his fair share of angst, but he hides it under goofy humor, which I appreciate.)

It was intensely frustrating, yes. Espescially since, admittedly, one of my Anger Button/pet peeves is "people assuming my motives are different from the one I am stating, and telling me what I REALLY think." in a condescending fashion. I eventually just walked away from the argument. (Well, clicked away)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
(Also I just realized I forgot to thank Yinello for explaining Zevran. Thanks Yinello! He does sound more interesting now, but a little angst ridden for my normal tastes. Alistair has his fair share of angst, but he hides it under goofy humor, which I appreciate.)

You is welcome! I have to agree. He just doesn't seem to convince me that he really loves me and not some ghost of the past. He constantly gives me the vibe that it could never be 100% serious. I know Alistair has angst but considering his dad figure just died, it makes sense. And I do love me some witty one-liners.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o-o

I want to make games and then screentest my gamers so that I don't have to deal with these people.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Arc Tempest wrote:
What happened to my slightly racist asshole lady in proper armor?

Don't worry, she's still racist.

Hilariously so.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
o-o

I want to make games and then screentest my gamers so that I don't have to deal with these people.

That's so precious, I don't even have to think of anything sarcastic to say to make fun of it. OMG censorship.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished ME3, really don't see what all the fuss was about. Though I think the synthesis option was a cop out and the ending would have been stronger with only the control/destroy options.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME3 multiplayer is surprisingly awesome.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY IS LONG LIVE THE QUEEN SO HARD

WHY DO I SUCK AT IT
Mini J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME TOO! So difficult to decide where to prioritize. I think I've done probably 15 playthroughs already.

I haven't made it past week 32 or so. Le sigh.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Finished ME3, really don't see what all the fuss was about. Though I think the synthesis option was a cop out and the ending would have been stronger with only the control/destroy options.

While I admit I did not beat it, I am aware of what happens, and watched the endings, and was frustrated, for many reasons.

Whiting out text for spoilers:

1) In Mass Effect 1), Sovergeign talks about how you cannot even hope to comprehend their motives. In 3, you're told "Our motives are that synthetic and galactic life will ultimately come into conflict, and if allowed to propogate synthetic life would make it so no organic life could arise ever again! "... But we're already in the middle of a synthetic/organic battle. That is ENTIRELY Comprehensi-" "OUR MOTIVES ARE INCOMPREHENSIBLE.
2) A WHOLE BUNCH of stuff hinted at in Mass Effect 2 (Strange dark energy build up in a star, etc) is left flapping in the wind. My guess is that THIS was originally going to tie into the reaper motivations, but they switched writers and decided to go for "REAPERS ARE CONVINCED ORGANICS AND SYNTHETICS CANNOT WORK TOGETHER".
3) The original ending didn't have as much explanation (nor... explanation for why the Normandy appeared to be fleeing the last stand/battle, if they were *En route* when the mass drivers tempt failed)
4) Did not make it clear that the mass drivers only temp failed, and weren't all outright destroyed.

I admit one other frustration I have with Bioware is they cannot, cannot, CANNOT ever seem t get away from "Blue=Angelic Blue Cherub, Red=Sociopathic Babyhitler!", *EVEN WHEN THEY EXPLICITLY SAY* they won't do it that way. They pulled that shit in Jade Empire, too, explaining that both Open Palm and Closed Fist were just two different philosophies, and both could be used for good or for evil. They even describe the two as more akin to Law and Chaos than Good and Evil.

And then for the rest of the game, Open Palm is good, and Closed Fist varies between 'dick' and "cartoonish supervillain' (including leaving a diety trapped in a perpetual state of endless torment/not being allowed to die!) It's one thing that really soured me on Jade Empire, because all they'd need to do to fix this was add, *at most*, like, two more lines of unvoiced dialogue to each friggen decision. (Do 'Good Thing' because closed fist reason, do evil thing because open palm reason).

Same thing with Mass Effect. "Oh, no, Paragon and Renegade aren't just good/evil, it's more complex than that!" And, indeed, it *could* have been more complex. It showed hints of this-Implying that Paragon acts were *good* acts, and Renegade acts were *chaotic* acts, but that neither were mutually exclusive. And that would make sense-A lot of really large societies, I think, trend towards "Lawful Evil". Not 'moustache twriling' lawful evil, but more... Apathetic-ish lawful evil. As the patrician put it, "evil not because people say 'yes', but because they don't say 'no'. " So it would make SENSE that the two sorts of acts that stand out are either Good or Chaotic acts. And *SOME* of the Renegade and Paragon actions fit into this mold, but it's mostly the quicktime decisions (Punching a purposefully misleading reporter woman, Headbutting a Krogan, interrupting a monologing villain to shoot the massive propane tank he's standing in front of).

But most of the others don't really follow through on this. In part, because *Some acts should give both sets of points*. Saving the Rachni queen, for instance, should be both Paragon (you spared her!) AND Renegade (you, and every other military force in the galaxy, probably STILL has standing orders to kill Rachni on sight!). Second, because a lot of the renegade actions aren't "I'm going to be chaotic/go against the established legal guidelines and follow my own code!", but more "I'm going to be a sociopathic asshole."
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't mean to say it wasn't bad. It was obviously rushed and poorly planned besides (ONE OF OUR HALLMARKS IS MAKING THE PLAYER MAKE HARD DECISIONS, LET'S HAVE AN ENDING WHERE GREEN SQUIGGLES MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER). Thanks to the asinine way ME3 handles DLC I got to experience the original ending in all it's awkward wannabe Shamalandnamanalana-iness. But for all the things that were wrong with it, it really didn't warrant the shit-storm it triggered.

Especially considering so much of the game was done so absurdly well.

Also: I've grown an awkward sort of attachment to how inexplicable Bioware's moral choice system always is. I can get a discount by accusing the owner of racism/classism, or I can do the upright thing and get a discount by... uh, lying in an advertisement. I can destroy my foe without mercy, or I can do the upright thing and... er, brainwash them all to fight for me.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Oh, I don't mean to say it wasn't bad. It was obviously rushed and poorly planned besides (ONE OF OUR HALLMARKS IS MAKING THE PLAYER MAKE HARD DECISIONS, LET'S HAVE AN ENDING WHERE GREEN SQUIGGLES MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER). Thanks to the asinine way ME3 handles DLC I got to experience the original ending in all it's awkward wannabe Shamalandnamanalana-iness. But for all the things that were wrong with it, it really didn't warrant the shit-storm it triggered.

It's because gamers are fucking terrible. Terrible at perspective, and often terrible people to boot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all, but a depressingly large percentage, yeah.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that's probably not terrible is this quick look at 13 companies' official Steamboxes from Valve's shindig earlier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421 ... 441, 442, 443  Next
Page 420 of 443

Jump to: