welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 446, 447, 448  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Civ 5 has to be one of the single biggest let downs I've ever experienced. It could have been GREAT, but it was such mind-numbing, hollow shell of a game that it made it that much more painful.

Eh, once they releasedthe two expansion (Gods and Kings, Brave New World), it got MUCH better.

And before you go "Well, I'm not paying extra to make a game comparable to Civ IV!", remember mostof the time when people talk about/think about Civ IV, they're thinking of it+it's expansions-including Beyond the Sword.

Hmm . . . I'll have to see. The main version of the game was just flat out boring. If I recall, the few times I tried playing through, I was spending like 75% of my time just waiting to be able to do something else. I did pick up all that goodiness with the Civ humble bundle so I guess it's worth a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Civ 5 has to be one of the single biggest let downs I've ever experienced. It could have been GREAT, but it was such mind-numbing, hollow shell of a game that it made it that much more painful.

Eh, once they releasedthe two expansion (Gods and Kings, Brave New World), it got MUCH better.

And before you go "Well, I'm not paying extra to make a game comparable to Civ IV!", remember mostof the time when people talk about/think about Civ IV, they're thinking of it+it's expansions-including Beyond the Sword.

Hmm . . . I'll have to see. The main version of the game was just flat out boring. If I recall, the few times I tried playing through, I was spending like 75% of my time just waiting to be able to do something else. I did pick up all that goodiness with the Civ humble bundle so I guess it's worth a shot.

I totally agree that vanilla Civ V just.. didn't grab me as much as CivIV.

And I *am* currently playing the Cavemen 2 Cosmos mod for CivIV (oh god please help can't stop.)

(I will say I DID like some of the combat changes, I.e. no more STACKS OF DOOM and ranged units could ACTUALLY SHOOT AT A RANGE.)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite all it's other faults, I still think Civ5 was a huge step forward in terms of combat, the expansions even more so since they finally did away with the whole "my tank just got killed by three guys with clubs" nonsense.

One thing a friend tipped me on to, turn on "Raging Barbarians." Early game cities are so strong that war is pointless in early eras, but massively increased barbarian spawn rates helps keep life interesting (and hunting down camps for the gold bounties and to keep your borders secure adds further incentive to exploration).
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dragonage.com/

Updated site with pre-orders (though they recommend you wait if you want the superspecial edition), more content, a new video and a release date: October 7. Very Happy
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

civ 5 did indeed improve greatly with expansions. but the overall conclusion about it is that at release it was a clear letdown, and the changes to mechanics really don't capture civ's prior grandeur.

alpha centauri was revolutionary and probably about one of the best games ever made (though I didn't play it very much, this is a very strong consensus). If they're going to be courageous enough to make a new alpha centauri, then we stand a good chance of seeing another excellent game. If, instead, it's just Civ 5: In Space Edition, eh.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

Updated site with pre-orders (though they recommend you wait if you want the superspecial edition), more content, a new video and a release date: October 7. Very Happy

and THIS i am happy about because it's not being rushed through a 6mo development schedule a la DA2.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

*heavy breathing*
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow uh that's way creepier when paired with my avatar.

whoops.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
wow uh that's way creepier when paired with my avatar.

whoops.

I'm 10000% okay with it. Let us hyperventilate together.
Falkonn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to finish DA2 before playing another one. DA2 just didn't quite seem as interesting to me as the first one and I'm busy with school so I ended up setting it aside. =\ Also I imagine I'll probably have to buy a ps4 to play it too...
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I'm 10000% okay with it. Let us hyperventilate together.

Can do!

Falkonn wrote:
I would have to finish DA2 before playing another one. DA2 just didn't quite seem as interesting to me as the first one and I'm busy with school so I ended up setting it aside. =\ Also I imagine I'll probably have to buy a ps4 to play it too...

I assume it's coming out for the PC, too? I sure hope it is. Shocked
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is. And plenty of consoles too.

I'm kinda mad there's only 1 Dwarf companion again. Like wtf Bioware, moar love for Dorfs plx.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned I'm much happier -not- reading up a lot on behind the scenes stuff so I honestly have very little idea of what to expect.

I always feel like David Gaider is kind of condescending? Like, even when his response to fan questions is something I agree with, it just has this air of "shhhh baby quiet now" that raises my hackles. It's like yes yes we all know that we aren't video game designers, but telling us you talked a lot about a shitty decision before making it doesn't actually exempt it from being shitty.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way. I'm sure he's nice and all but I constantly get the feeling that they're plainly ignoring requests of what fans would love to see and go with their own ideas and then they're surprised that people are dissapointed? Because even if we aren't designers, we're still buying their stuff and wanting quality? It's not that hard to just listen.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines just received a 9.0 patch.

I miss Troika.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 446, 447, 448  Next
Page 435 of 448

Jump to: