welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 438, 439, 440 ... 443, 444, 445  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say "indistinguishable." I think the gaming industry has finally achieved a somewhat respectable level of diversity in the faces of their buff white male protagonists.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean in versions beard, stubble, moustach or clean? Razz
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take ten stubble, two moustache, and one clean, please.

Yeah, I can pay in cash.
Is it okay if the cash has a bit of blood on it?
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reactions to a womanís friend request in an FPS game properly researched
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm on a break from school and I started playing Fable: the Lost Chapters again... and it keeps breaking my computer. Today I got a BSOD and the speakers made a repetitive buzzing noise right in the middle of getting a tattoo. It's the second time this week, and it's really annoying thanks to the way Fable handles quests. Obsessive saving does you no good. I blame Steam. Or that the game wasn't intended to play on this hardware. Or the hypnotoad.

I just want to be so good my hair turns white and everyone loves me so much little hearts float above their heads, is that so much to ask?

P.S. I forgot that "manly arm pump" is a flirt, and kept doing it around children thinking I was showing off, and they would look bashful and say they didn't understand.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed probably harder than is reasonable at your PS, Dogen.

I haven't played the Lost Chapters yet, though apparently I own it (my god Steam sales have made me spoiled rotten).

A part of me really loves how your goodness level affects how you look, but another part of me is kinda grossed out at how white/pale = good and dark = bad. I like in KOTOR II where you just stand up straighter and get a dramatic beam of light on your character screen, and all your friends are like "Gosh you look... glowy..... it's a good look!"
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at first it just looks like you're getting old... and you do age in the game, which may have been really cool when Fable came out but it's just gimmicky. You also get scars, but they don't affect your attractiveness. I have a horribly disfiguring scar that goes all the way across my face and crosses another scar that goes from top to bottom. I look like I was assaulted with a giant cross. But people still hit on me. Because I'm famous.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Reactions to a womanís friend request in an FPS game properly researched

This sadly had few surprises and only helps to reinforce some notions and ideas I already have.

Personally, I'm fairly liberal in accepting friend request in any game, although I think I'm probably more likely to accept female request (or those perceived to be female) simply because I assume that they'll be less likely to give me a reason to unfriend them later.

Also, it wouldn't really matter for this study since I don't play multiplayer FPS, like ever.

*edit

Actually this one part kinda surprised me, and I'm not sure if it would hold up in a bigger study:

Quote:
There were no statistical significance about player skill having any bearing on friend requests.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hair lengths of protagonists mainly has to do with technology and programming know how limitations.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't that pretty much cover every aspect of a game?
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in this case I'm saying that that's one element of the homogeneity of contemporary AAA-title Video Game Main Protagonists.

The other elements (white, male, 30'sish buff & broodin') are the bog-standard issue of how AAA title development is ruled by widest-possible-net dragging where they are designing them around the absolute greatest margin of focus tested marketable appeal, so you end up seeing all the games universally building their story around the most marketable identity, if even just by degrees.

But the similarity of their hair? that's a little out of the ordinary. It's not because of the greatest-market-appeal stuff, it's because of the complications and labor intensity of creating realistic looking long free flowing hair that's suitable to be viewed up close in cinematics and in over-the-shoulder or over-the-head third person. We just really aren't that good yet at having main-character-worthy long hair for today's triple a titles.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that makes more sense than the first post. Smile
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of steam sales I'm passing on cuz I can't play as a girl. I'm feeling pretty ambivalent about buying games anyway, so I figure I can be picky if I want to be.

Plus it just rankles me because I wear my hair up in a way that it'd probably be easier to animate than classic-dude-hair. Most days my hair doesn't even move cuz I've got it wrapped up in a clip. Hard to animate hair just.. *shrugs* Some people have it, yeah, but it's not just women, and women aren't restricted to it.

I'd think having hair up or cut short could be handwaved as practical for action adventure types. Y'know. Cuz it is.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Huh. I had been planning to share this anyways, but this is strangely relevant to the topic at hand now (Re: Lack of female protagonists, sameness of male protagonists, lack of *GUYS* needing rescue)

I think I mentioned before how a friend of mind was working on a game that used a biofeedback headset as a peripheral (Throw Trucks With Your Mind)

His studio is actually embarking on a new project, called "For My Brother".

The premise: "A story of becoming a monster to protect someone you love.

For My Brother follows a girl who is willing to give everything for her younger brother. As she fights to gain the powers of untamed nature in order to save him, she becomes less and less human and their bond is changed forever."

It's gameplay style is based around the Metroid, Megaman, and Shadow of the Colossus series.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859254890/for-my-brother

*Also in the interest of full disclosure, I am friends with the head of the studio, which is why I am aware of this.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
There are a lot of steam sales I'm passing on cuz I can't play as a girl. I'm feeling pretty ambivalent about buying games anyway, so I figure I can be picky if I want to be.

Plus it just rankles me because I wear my hair up in a way that it'd probably be easier to animate than classic-dude-hair. Most days my hair doesn't even move cuz I've got it wrapped up in a clip. Hard to animate hair just.. *shrugs* Some people have it, yeah, but it's not just women, and women aren't restricted to it.

I'd think having hair up or cut short could be handwaved as practical for action adventure types. Y'know. Cuz it is.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/26426/Jill+of+the+Jungle.html

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/26436/Jill+of+the+Jungle+-+Jill+Goes+Underground.html

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/26439/Jill+of+the+Jungle+-+Jill+Saves+the+Prince.html

Opinions needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 438, 439, 440 ... 443, 444, 445  Next
Page 439 of 445

Jump to: