welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 439, 440, 441 ... 447, 448, 449  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sims 4 won't require any always-online connection or multiplayer!
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessssssssss
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dissapointed by the lack of PoC companions in Dragon Age Inquisition. Sure there's Vivienne but that's it? Geeze.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a legitimate thing to be disappointed in. Vivienne does look pretty amazing, but she really -really- shouldn't be the only person of color on the list.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But everyone knows fantasy realms contain ONLY white people!

/If my tongue were any farther in my cheek, I'd violate the pauli exclusion principle.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangentially related, one of the refreshing things about the webcomic Unsounded is that it thoroughly trashes this "rule."
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what no poc in fantasy realms that is ridiculous you are ridiculous your face is ridiculous

there are plenty of poc in fantasy realms, they are all just vicious orcs or disgusting goblins or ruthless dark elves or some other creature of indelible immutable evil, jeez
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
what no poc in fantasy realms that is ridiculous you are ridiculous your face is ridiculous

there are plenty of poc in fantasy realms, they are all just vicious orcs or disgusting goblins or ruthless dark elves or some other creature of indelible immutable evil, jeez

I admit that's kind of one of the reasons I like the Eberron setting. They sort of throw that whole "X race is always evil" out the window, and everything is more morally ambiguous in general.

/Also I think they're the only people I've seen that seem to get dragons 'right'.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hated the idea of one whole race of beings being evil. Dark elves in particular just... well, when I was really young they just -confused- me. They always seemed like they could be so interesting (I mean a matriarchy for god's sake, what would that even be like, little me was so curious) but everyone just wrote them as sadistic assholes.

Ugh. Now it just makes me angry.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

Don't be silly, maybe back in the 80's that was true, but as far back as d+d 3.0 there's a fair bit of "fake ethnic" diversity in the artwork and settings

Exalted was another one.

L5R, while pretty homogenous is asians and indian snake people/fake indians.

As for the dark elves, they're a demon worshipping cult driven underground and mutated by magic rocks. They're evil because their goddess and entire religion is evil and they're fundamentalist enough that other religions or even nonparticipation are punished by being sacrificed to their dark goddess. So..a real nature vs nurture thing there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in standard d&d lore, the Drow are not all evil. The issue comes from the fact that most races at the experiments and purview of an attending God, and the Drow are the servants, experiments, and playthings of Lloth, and she conspicuously directs their development as a species. She is also jealously possesive of her pet race, so few escape her grasp.

But gods are not all powerful and they cannot wrest free will from all of their creation, especially as that creation grows and begins to diverge. The Drow themselves have begun to diverge, with a great many finding solace and peace from their former nature under the tutelage of a kinder god --Eilistraee the dancer.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that good and evil is a pretty abstract and subjective construct, it's always weird when used.

Someone tried to explain the Drow to me once. It kind of went the wrong way when he said that the Drow were once like normal light skinned Elves who moved underground and thus received dark skin. And my husband (who is a biology teacher) was all: THAT DOESNT MAKE SENSE HOW DO PIGMENT etc etc.

Hilarity.

I don't like the Drow/Dark Elves myself in the sense that hey, it's just another damn Elf race why does it need a different name. Like Humans they are the common denominator for Fantasy Games and sometimes they will try to vary it by adding perhaps slightly longer ears. Whoo variety.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't they be more likely to become pale or light skinned if they moved underground?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, I got the right answer!

Can you imagine white goths if people did become darker by staying indoors? There'd be happy little goths laying in the sunshine everywhere. (Unless goths have all died out. I think there are still some around.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 439, 440, 441 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Page 440 of 449

Jump to: