welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

from the World of Science III
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which animal would you like to see tamed?
Giraffe
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Moose
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
Prairie dog
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Emu
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
Sloth
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Wallaby
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 33

Amilam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horses just never seemed enough when riding into battle and since Rhinos aren't on the list, I'll settle for a moose.
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh, look, a sloth!"

"Here, sloth-y sloth-y! Here, sloth-y sloth-y! Yay! It sees us!"

"My, look at those long claws... good thing it is a friendly sloth, look at it smiling at me!"

"Awww, does the widdle sloth want a cuddle?"

"Careful! You are strong! Don't squeeze those claws so much!"

"Aghh! You ripped out my fucking collarbone!"

"OMGOMG ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Days later...
"aww a little baby sloth. Tickle tickle the ickle little sloth. Tickle tickle!"
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually slowths aren't very strong at all. To conserve energy and reduce metabolic demands, their muscles have wasted away and only make up about 25% of the total body weight.
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, wheels, these are the agressive sloths. Changes to the neural crest/adrenal system makes them very strong. Keep up, man!
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and how about this "animal FACT"
http://www.abcteach.com/RainforestFacts/RainforestAnimals3.htm
Quote:
The three-toed sloth lives in the canopy of the rain forest. The sloth has very strong claws to help it cling to tree branches.

Very strong claws + aggression = a gaping hole where your collarbone used to be.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness Book of World Records wrote:
Slowest Mammal
The three-toed sloth (Bradypus tridactylus) of South America has an average ground speed of up to 0.16 km/h (0.1 mph). In the trees it can race at 0.27 km/h (0.17 mph). There are three species of three-toed sloth and two species of two-toed sloth. All are adapted for life in the trees of the tropical rainforests of Central and South America, where they feed on a diet of leaves. They have rounded heads with rather flattened faces. Their feet are highly modified with five digits on each hind foot and either two or three on each forefoot. A huge, hooklike claw on each digit provides superb grip on branches. Sloths seldom descend to the ground. They can barely walk, and so have to pull themselves along the ground using their claws. They do, however, swim well. Digestion for a sloth is very slow, and it may take a month or more for food to pass from the stomach to the intestine.

Personally, I'm not going to fear the planet's slowest mammal. I think I could get out of the way in time.
maniac_wolfman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the fact that they're so inactive that moss actually grows on them factor into this at all?

I mean, I can be aggressive all I want, but if moss is growing on me I think I'd be the one getting a beat down.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Very strong claws + aggression = a gaping hole where your collarbone used to be.

Claws are not muscles.
And it's not moss, it's algae. And actually their hair is adapted to retain it for some reason. It could be camouflage, it could be a source of nitrogen.
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that when Sam takes the time to make a humorous graphic story, you are all, "Oooh, lasers are shooting out of his eyes and freezing whatever it touches!" no matter how improbable, whereas I try to make a little funny story and you are all "The order Phyllophaga has reduced muscle blah blah blah". Must the story be actually funny to escape your attacks?

Well, then, this means war, no matter how weak my position!

From wikipedia:
Quote:
A cornered sloth may swipe at its attackers in an effort to scare them away or wound them.

From this we may infer that a sloth can use the claws to wound, even before hyper-aggressiveness.

Second a quote from the Marquis de Montmirail (a Marquis, baby, it doesn't get more authoritative than this!)
Quote:
I shall finish this article with some observations communicated to me by the Marquis de Montmirail, concerning an unau, or two-toed sloth, which he fed three years in his menagerie: I purchased this animal at Amsterdam. It was fed with sea biscuit; and I was told, that, during the verdure of the trees, it would require nothing but leaves.

The most natural situation of the unau, and which he prefers to all others, is hanging on a branch, with his body turned downward. He sometimes sleeps in this position, his fore paws being fixed to the same point, and his body forming an arch. The strength of his muscles is incredible; but it becomes useless to him when he walks; for his [162] motion is constrained and wavering. This structure alone seems to be the cause of the animal’s slowness, which, besides, has no violent appetites, and does not recognise those who take care of him.”

Lastly, the giant ground sloths ripped off branches with their powerful claws. Clearly, selection for hyper-aggressiveness would select for this dormant trait as well.

Good day, sir!
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 Dro. I thought it was funny!
Amilam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sell the sloth short, it has some fierce ancestors.

Mega*freaking*therium

Now that would be a wicked pet.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Why is it that when Sam takes the time to make a humorous graphic story, you are all, "Oooh, lasers are shooting out of his eyes and freezing whatever it touches!" no matter how improbable, whereas I try to make a little funny story and you are all "The order Phyllophaga has reduced muscle blah blah blah". Must the story be actually funny to escape your attacks?

Emu bashing is all the rage nowadays.

Quote:
Well, then, this means war, no matter how weak my position!

From wikipedia:
Quote:
A cornered sloth may swipe at its attackers in an effort to scare them away or wound them.

From this we may infer that a sloth can use the claws to wound, even before hyper-aggressiveness.

Leave it to emus to quote-mine!
Quote:
Sloths move only when necessary and then very slowly: they have about half as much muscle tissue as other animals of similar weight.

http://www.szgdocent.org/resource/ff/f-sloth.htm wrote:
Grounded on the ground: But it's extreme adaptations to life upside down means a sloth can't stand upright. Its limbs and back muscles are too weak to support itself upright. It can stand on its back limbs but can't walk. On the ground, a sloth crawls with great difficulty, dragging itself by its front limbs.

http://www.animalinfo.org/species/bradtorq.htm wrote:
In addition to its physical slowness, its muscles are small and weak for its overall body size, and even its metabolism is slower than the metabolism of most other mammals, giving it a low body temperature of just above 30º C (86º F).

Quote:
Lastly, the giant ground sloths ripped off branches with their powerful claws. Clearly, selection for hyper-aggressiveness would select for this dormant trait as well.

Obviously the meek inherited the sloth world. The weaker tree sloths weren't worth killing because even when shot from below their cold dead arms still hooked onto branches and prevented them from falling. Their large and meanspirited brethren, however, made such nuissances of themselves that we are better off without them. The lesson here? Eat your veggies, kids!

Quote:
Good day, sir!
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: what Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Why is it that when Sam takes the time to make a humorous graphic story,

what
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: THIS COMIC LACKS FREEZING LASER BEAMS Reply with quote

o, ok

mouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, foo, sam. it's a well-know fact that sloths (like tree-dwellers in general) are absolutely sickened by the sight of poodle skirts. no sloth would consider attacking a poodle-skirt wearer.

also you clearly failed to demostrate any movement in your so-called "cartoon", thus calling into question you ability as a photo-shopper.

(there, dro - do you feel better now?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: