welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Social Networking Provides for Entertainment.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Social Networking Provides for Entertainment. Reply with quote

Recently on the popular social networking site myspace (i've only logged on a few times i swear!) i got a friend request from a strange source. someone who had just written a book wanted to be my friend because i was obviously super into sci-fi even though it was never mentioned in my profile.
something bothered me about the cover of their book, so i left a comment.
below is their picture and the cover of their book.

so i leave a comment about how much the cover of the book bothers me, for kicks and to see if i can piss anyone off.
Quote:
now most people would make a comment like "omg thanks for the add" or even put a nice little personalised comment pic or something. but i intend to educate you on the term geek. From the cover of your book it appears you are writing about something you see as a sub culture rising in popularity, a way to make money on a fad by writing about it. The word "geek" usually refers to social nonconformists who have specific non popular interests. The cover or your book shows converse sneakers. While you may think you know alot about band geeks or science fiction you are still misusing the term and this may hurt sales of your book.

and this started a fairly lengthy email conversation where i bullshitted alot until i pissed her off.

Quote:
Hey - thanks for the thoughtful comments. As it turns out, I am a geek myself. I grew up geek, and still am one...spent the weekend at Comic Con and like all things sci fi. I didnt' choose the cover, by the way; the publisher does that, although I don't dislike it.

Geeks are nonconformist, I agree. However, I think geeks also like to find other geeks to commiserate with and to share observations with. (That's why there were 100,000 people at Comic Con, all geeks, I assure you.)

I'm not trying to milk some fad, either. I wrote this book because I think it reflects (in a humorous way, of course), the people who are often overlooked in a high school population. These are the students who are usually very bright, articulate, who like to think about things other than themselves, who feel they don't fit into the traditional cheerleader/football player/jock thing. I know there are a lot of them out there. I would certainly feel bad if you thought I just wrote this in search of some marketing wave. I don't operate like that. I wrote it because it was what I felt, and what I would have said and done in high school if I'd had any confidence at all. And a robot.
Laura

in that case im interested in reading it. im also wondering how you came about adding me as a friend. what search methods do you use?
I searched for profiles with words like 'geek' and 'books' in them, also 'sci fi'. I don't want to bother anyone; I just try and pick people who look like they might find it interesting, and figure if they don't, they just won't reply to the message. I'm really not a geek marketing whore, I swear!
but you are stereotyping people, which is usually bad.
They're actually stereotyping themselves by listing those things as descriptors. Not to say that people other than that wouldn't work, but you have to start somewhere. I could just as easily search words like 'grommet' or 'babaganoush,' but I would likely have less success.

but i do not see the terms geek or sci fi anywhere in my profile, suggesting that you used the term "books" and then looked for those who fit your idea of "comic book geek"
Would you consider yourself a geek? Of course, one who likes books isn't necessarily a geek, but I don't think my book appeals exclusively to geeks and to no one else, either. I don't even think comic books necessarily when I think geek. I think of a person who is intelligent, an independent thinker, but also someone who looks at the world with a quirky viewpoint. That, often, is also a description of people who like sci fi, people who read, people who like technology and/or music, and, in general, geeks.

sorry if you feel stereotyped by the 'geek' label. It's not meant as an insult; on the contrary, I look at it as a high compliment. All my best friends are geeks, and so am I.

bullshit you're just some housewife that fanatasies some special group that you think makes you connected to people like yourself.
I'm not just "some housewife," you pint-sized moron. Are you just "some eighteen year old know-it-all"? Or do you think there's more to you than that?

For someone who's been gassing on and on about stereotypes and judgments, I think you're a big hypocrite who thinks he's too cool for everybody else. And of course I want to connect with people like myself. So do you, or you wouldn't be on myspace, right? Is that some big problem? I don't think so.

I don't have to fantasize about my life because I like it just the way it is. I like to write. I have written since I was a kid, and had my first piece published at 16. What are your great accomplishments?

I'm sorry you feel the need to tear me down. It's a big waste of your time and energy. If you're not interested, just say so, but don't be pissy.

oh look at miss "i've been published" don't you just feel special. and the actual reason i have a myspace account is to inform people like you that the service is owned by fox news and the government and police force moniter anything they feel like on the site. and my great accomplishments? so far i have lived a pleasant life and not had to conform to socially accepted ways of living, including not needing to have published a book to feel accomplished in any particular field. The only thing that can be seen as a socially common activity that i partake in is the stock market. My knowledge of computers led me to buy stock in what would become most of the largest computer companies today. I did not make an obscene amount of money but i did make enough to basically take a year off for self discovery and development of my views. At the age you were writing books in highschool i had already completed college courses in statistics and calculus. I also took high school sculpting and summer a course in ceramics. It got to a point where i had some pieces featured in galleries. I currently, with a few friends, am part of a programming and webhosting group that has been mildly successful. Now when i look back at all these accomplishments and realize that i will be turning 19 soon i think i've done pretty well. And you think you're so god-damned special for writing a little book that you will only be able find in second hand shops in the next few years. or were you hoping to avoid that situation by trying to create a cult following? Whatever the case publishing a book is not hard. have you been to a bookstore? i have and they put some pretty poorly written shit on the shelves.
You're awfully bitter for somebody so young.

Why do you feel it necessary to tear somebody else down to feel good? I'm glad you've done some great stuff with your life. As for not conforming, you've been very lucky, and I hope you enjoy that kind of luck for the rest of your life. It's not that easy to publish a book, by the way. Why don't you try it and see?

I don't want to hear from you anymore. I don't need all this negative crap. Just go sit in your piles of stock money and do what you do best, I'd bet: be alone.

Neo.Shroom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's in it for me to read all that shit?
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you acted like an asshole to this woman for no particular reason, and then felt compelled to share it with us.
Thank you. I, for one, feel edified and improved on a moral and intellectual level.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if all that stuff you say is true about what you've accomplished so far, you're still socially stupid.
Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Even if all that stuff you say is true about what you've accomplished so far, you're still socially stupid.

Quote:
and this started a fairly lengthy email conversation where i bullshitted alot until i pissed her off.
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Still stupid in every way. Thanks for clearing that up.
Bodhisattva

Location: Currently Chicago, but variable in the near future.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of all of this being... To be a dick.

Congratulations! Here's your hat.

* Proud adopter of the former newbies Lasairfiona, bottm_angel and trustedfaith.
cletusowns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs cliffnotes man.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day, when Dusty lets too much information slip and someone that he's pissed off will utilize it to find out where he lives and subsequently beat the shit out of him, an angel will get its wings.
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And God's will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Amen.
Neo.Shroom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodhisattva wrote:
The point of all of this being... To be a dick.

Congratulations! Here's your hat.

Bodhi...I'm worried, it's disturbing that you either A) had that photo on your hard drive or B) went looking for it online.
Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo.Shroom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty, have you been on 4chan? I downloaded that image only a few nights ago...
Kilgore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty, I'm not sure how I managed to miss the fact that you're an intolerable piece of shit for so long.

-Slick
Marik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: looks like he at least has ONE natural talent Reply with quote

I was initially confused as to why anyone would ever spend time actively endeavoring to be a capricious fucking mong.

But I guess I'd do the same thing too, if I were a person beginning to figure out that I'd never be able to succeed in much anything else in life.

The best part is that the relative anonymity of the internet allows even spineless folk to get in on all the fun. Online, you can act this way while comfortably outside of cockpunch range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: