welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

say bye! to Sinfest (and sites with profiles) library users
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nathan



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6282

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cletusowns wrote:
Good. Go to the library to read books not post it up on myspace. I can't even get on the computers to look stuff up here because all the kids are on myspace or forumwhoring. I am totally fine with this idea.


And you feel the appropriate forum for this is the US House of Representatives?

Really?
_________________
All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last. - Marky Mark Proust
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10277
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder how many computers could have been bought with the $$$ spent in Iraq... ya know... just sayin...

I take the conspiracy route and blame all the news media outlets that having been trumping this up. I'd put money many of the people pushing for coverage on this aren't friends or fans of Rupert Murdoch's and now it's just spiraling out of control...ok so maybe that's only a minor factor

on a related note I bet it's gonna be a good time soon to buy up Newscorp stock
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cletusowns



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 496
Location: Oak Park

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamletSr wrote:
cletusowns wrote:
I can't see past my own self interest.


Hey cletus, what about those who aren't wealthy enough to have their own personal computer?


They can go dumpster dive for all I care?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
cletusowns



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 496
Location: Oak Park

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoySetsFire wrote:
cletusowns wrote:
Good. Go to the library to read books not post it up on myspace. I can't even get on the computers to look stuff up here because all the kids are on myspace or forumwhoring. I am totally fine with this idea.


aren't you forumwhoring too?


Bad choice of words. I wasn't posting from the library.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
cletusowns



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 496
Location: Oak Park

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamletSr wrote:

the rich kids can do what they want, obviously, but i wont stand for it on the public dime!
Also, I am a MASSIVE FUCKING DUMBASS


Wow be more of a dirty douchenozzle. I am fine for banning myspace on public school computers as well. If people want to read my space they can do it 1) on their own computers 2) Not in a educational area.

Also, be more jealous of people with a little money. Last time I checked owning a computer doesn't signify you as rich. Just not welfare poor.

Oh and why don't you cry about it more? If you say you're posting from the library I am going to laugh when you can't post here anymore. That would be comedy gold. Oh yeah and did you like my little quote rape?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2437

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Makes me wonder how many computers could have been bought with the $$$ spent in Iraq... ya know... just sayin...


Cost of War has the cost closing in on $300 billion.

The Census has the population closing in on 300 million.

So... the War in Iraq could've bought every man, woman, and child in the US a $1000 computer.

I'd like a $1000 computer.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12123
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like a thousand dollars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first of all, I second that this is a parenting issue. Republicans don't like "big, bad government doing all the regulating" when it comes to corporate interests, but are perfectly OK with micromanagement of family life, e.g. who can have sex with/marry whom, who has to keep a post-rape child, who can learn what in science class, etc.

I told my father about this, and his immediate comment was, "Internet soliciting is only a problem if the kids are dumb."

He didn't mean it literally. He meant that if children act like idiots, it's because their parents are careless, or, likewise, idiots. If children are not taught by their parents how to use the internet correctly, or if those children have no common sense, then that's when the internet gets dangerous. If a parent allows a child to use a potentially dangerous tool like a deer-hunting gun at a younger age than one where the child can reasonably be expected to use the tool properly, then that is BAD PARENTING. It's the same issue with use of the internet.
Back to top
MsFrisby



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3966
Location: a quiet little corner of crazy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cletusowns wrote:
BoySetsFire wrote:
cletusowns wrote:
Good. Go to the library to read books not post it up on myspace. I can't even get on the computers to look stuff up here because all the kids are on myspace or forumwhoring. I am totally fine with this idea.


aren't you forumwhoring too?


Bad choice of words. I wasn't posting from the library.


But you implied that you were pissed off at the people at the library on the computers were using the computers for *GASP* fun when, obviously, your need was so much more important than theirs was. Which is completely self-centered, patronizing, and hurts your position. Also, in my library district, every patron gets one hour of computer time per day. So they can no more hog a computer than you can. What they choose to use that hour for is up to them as long as they aren't downloading viruses or kiddy porn. (Actually, please don't look at regular porn in the library, either.)
_________________
A person's character is their destiny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides, if he means he's looking up shelf numbers, i've noticed that many libraries have non-internet computers set aside for that task.

if he's trying to look up 'important' stuff on the internet, he's got his own computer, doesn't he? go home.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MsFrisby



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3966
Location: a quiet little corner of crazy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes! If he meant looking up a book in the catalog, there isn't a library that I've been in that didn't have catalog dedicated computers just for looking up stuff that was on the shelf or checked out in the library. And these computers? Almost never all full.
_________________
A person's character is their destiny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cletusowns



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 496
Location: Oak Park

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
cletusowns wrote:
BoySetsFire wrote:
cletusowns wrote:
Good. Go to the library to read books not post it up on myspace. I can't even get on the computers to look stuff up here because all the kids are on myspace or forumwhoring. I am totally fine with this idea.


aren't you forumwhoring too?


Bad choice of words. I wasn't posting from the library.


But you implied that you were pissed off at the people at the library on the computers were using the computers for *GASP* fun when, obviously, your need was so much more important than theirs was. Which is completely self-centered, patronizing, and hurts your position. Also, in my library district, every patron gets one hour of computer time per day. So they can no more hog a computer than you can. What they choose to use that hour for is up to them as long as they aren't downloading viruses or kiddy porn. (Actually, please don't look at regular porn in the library, either.)


I guess it comes down to the fact that I see the computers at a public library more as a educational tool rather than an entertainment center. The problem isnt necessarily bad parenting because plenty of people over 18 are myspacing it up etc. Like I said.. if someone wants to post on myspace or on the transformers forums then they can do it at home. That's just how I see it.

Yes, there are catalog computers etc but that isn't what I needed at the time. I don't see why someone trying to do educational research should have to leave the library and "go home" over someone using the computer to myspace. Besides, to use the example already put forth in this thread.. what if I didn't have a computer at home?

If people want entertainment they can go play on the monkey bars at the park.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by that logic, no shelf space should be wasted on children's books, the majority of fiction or any non-fiction topic that doesn't strike you as important.

if it isn't serious research material or a worthy use of the facility, in your estimation, it has no place.

by the way, i don't think you're thinking of public space. i believe you would be happier holing up in a privately granted institution that kept out the curious riff-raff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Him



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 4179
Location: On edge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post from a library, most fo the time, as I do not own a computer. I am glad our politicians, for all their faults, at least cares about the common welfare.
_________________
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want? ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10656
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see with your argument, cletus, is that you seem to assume libraries are for educational (read: academic) purposes only and that any other use of their resources is "funning it up" and thus okay to be restricted. This is contested by the fact, as Frisby and Tom pointed out, that many libraries have not just fiction sections but also graphic novels (my library has the entire Sandman series), movies, CDs, popular magazines... even telephone books from around the country. These "hardcopy" materials are intended for entertainment purposes every bit as much as myspace or sinfest (telephone books excepted perhaps). Access to these materials is generally unrestricted except by time for material checked out.

It would seem to me that the more logical alternative to legislation (do we really need a law that says we can't look at myspace in a library? they have nothing better to do?) would be the imposition of time allotments by the libraries themselves, such as Frisby said hers uses. This would give people both access to entertainment (be it reading sinfest, random articles on wikipedia or posting on myspace) and to other, academic, online resources. This also seems the simpler solution, and personally I tend to feel that generally simpler is better.

Of course, I may have just misunderstood your argument entirely. Wink
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group