welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Self-Improvement Diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm going to have to try out the Asian and Mexican markets out here for fruits and veggies. Smile What do you suggest from the Asian?

Also congrats on the weight loss!
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites have been rambutan, lychee, and carambola (which I'd already had; we owned a star fruit tree when I lived in Florida). I was not a big fan of horned melon, and I need to try kumquats again because I think the ones I got were underripe.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Dogen! Man, a lot of sinfesters/former sinfesters are loosing weight recently.

I <3 kumquats. They are delicious and I don't find them in just the asian markets. Lychee on the other hand is super hard to find. I want some! I did recently get a snack from the asian market - sweetened aloe vera. It tasted kinda like grapes!

Kilgore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pomelo is pretty good. Lots of work to eat though. Tastes like a sweeter grapefruit.

I dunno if they have those at most Asian markets. The got them at the Fred Meyer I went to when I lived in Portland once in a blue moon, and the store clerk I asked about them said they were Chinese.

I haven't weighed myself since the end of law school, but I'm betting I've gained about ten pounds, since I haven't really been exercising all summer. After the bar I will hit it again.

-Slick
Pint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumquats are amazing Smile I had to look up the rest of the fruit... Including how to eat it. Now I'm inspired to at least try it.

Also... Googled Pomelo and this kitty came up... So it must be good.

Kilgore: I know that feeling. Anytime I fall out of my normal routine I gain a few pounds.

What about veggies? I have sadly been sticking to the ones I know how to cook/eat raw. Though I did venture out and try avocado again (I used to hate it, now I eat it with a spoon.) I've been doing a lot of raw eating because I'm too lazy to cook for just myself.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get veggies at the asian market, because I find I'm pickier about them, so there's less chance I'll enjoy them.

Carrots are my snack food. For meals I eat a lot of salads - usually spinach leaves, red bell peppers, broccoli, and either some kidney beans or a diced egg for protein. Also sometimes peas, but they're not a really nutritious veggie (like corn, which is really a grain), or snow peas. I also sometimes toss in artichoke hearts or sun-dried tomatoes if I have them. Artichokes and asparagus are big for me whenever I find a good deal on them fresh. Grilled asparagus is amazing. So is grilled zucchini. Yams or sweet potatoes are good with a little habanero jelly, and pretty filling. Any kind of squash, when they're in season. ... Kale, chard, cauliflower... I just eat whatever strikes my fancy.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, that kitty was Major Tom's av for ages.
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Also, that kitty was Major Tom's av for ages.

That kitty still makes me think of Major Tom too.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that picture titled "Limecat," and I always wondered how they got a lime big enough (or a cat small enough) to make it work. But apparently it was an under-ripe pomelo. Mystery solved!

-Slick
Pint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran a few miles this morning. Neck is sore, but no migraine Smile I love progress!
Sudoku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looked like it needed a little posting cuddle.

So yeah, planning on putting on some weight and working it off for proper body mass.
Because the wolves gonna want a taste.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Yeah, I've been slowly turning my excess body fat I built up during college into muscle...I've still lost like 20 pounds, but I'm kind of the large body type, that whole tall broad shoulders. I was the perfect example of how the BMI scale originally had me thinking I was heavier than I was. Stupid system. But some point during only sleeping 3 hours a night all the time during college to stay up with projects, etc I ate instead. Saddest thing was that I was FAT on my wedding. It's sad to look at the photos now after having lost the weight. It's like, "Why would yo let yourself get that fat before the day you're photographed so much?!"

But also doing the more vegetables and very little red meat thing. As long as you eat lots of deep rich veggies, and not just the iceberg lettuce, etc, it's amazing how full you feel from a salad. I didn't used to believe it possible.

As soon as my wife gets a little breather from her school, (A medical degree is always hell, but this past tri-mester had her at 28 credit hours) we plan to start building endurance so we can eventually be able to go full out running. I need to figure out some good shoes for that though. Any recommendations?

At least I'm regularly adjusted (chiropractically) so it's amazing how much easier working out is when you don't hurt. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider building up on stamina before speed when going for running, I cannot stress further on how important it is to have enough energy to outlast the stuff you're planning on putting your body through.
My friend's a fan of parkour and crazy fast, but his stamina is much lower than mine so most of the time he's training for endurance while I for speed.

As a guy who has size twelve feet and already burned through three pairs of runners, I suggest you go with whatever you're comfortable with in terms of price and performance. Big labels do give you good stuff, but the high-tech gizmos they claim to have inside them improve performance as much as a old pair of good runners.

If you got the money though, try Nike.
Because the wolves gonna want a taste.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation: Find a good running/athletic store. Someone who can watch you walk/jog and see whether you pronate or supinate (you might be able to have your wife do this, I've never tried). Running shoes are often designed for one, the other, or neutral (for people who do neither, obviously). Personally, I pronate fiercely but only when I run, so I ended up with a pair of Asics and some insoles for pronaters.

The worst thing about running shoes is 90% of them seem to be either white or 80's metallic silver.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I've noticed that about the running shoes too. They have the worst colors. I'll do white over the metallic though. My wife votes for silver. =P

Thanks for the advice, both of you. It's been helpful. Yeah, if nothing else I'll look for anything decent...Like I said, I'm a big guy (even if I'm in perfect shape I'm going to weigh at least 200 or more likely 220, as to get that in shape I build a lot of muscle, and I'm size 12 feet too), so for me running shoes don't last very long. I wish I could find some that were as durable as my Doc Martin's shoes. Those things are amazing shoes. I don't care they cost a hundred bucks when I've had a pair for years without them showing any signs of being any less durable when I bought them. But my wife has checked me, and I'm a pronator. I might possibly even some good foot levelers. My wife got a pair for free from her school. Chiropractic and all that, they're big into that kind of stuff. Wink Also, I'm trying to do some things to put more of an arch in my feet, which I lack quite badly.

We figure it could take a couple years to build up the kind of stamina we need to do what we'd like to. But it'll help a lot, as that's when we should get to move to the mountains, where running will be tougher and of course the awesome skiing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 47 of 52

Jump to: