welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sinfest recipe book (index pg. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Made this tonight and it's really really tasty. NOM.

Though I guess dumping a whole cup of cream into something is nearly always going to make it awesome as hell, in my opinion.

It's hard to go wrong with those ingredients!

For a variety of reasons, I decided to work more grains into my diet. I remembered mouse pointing out that oatmeal doesn't need to be made sweet, so I decided to try and make something savory for lunch.
I boiled some quick oats (NOT "instant") in water that had Mrs. Dash added, while cooking a couple of eggs to runny and seasoning them with just a little ground red pepper. I poured the spiced oatmeal into a bowl, topped with some thin slices of cheese, and then put the eggs on top. Not terrible!
The oat part is still a little bland despite the seasonings, but egg yolks and cheese make the difference. I'm going to have to tweak things a bit, but this is a promising start.
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savory Oatmeal is delicious! You can try using chicken/vegetable stock instead of just water to give the oats more flavour. Also, try scallions and soy sauce for tasty nomming.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels: I know, right. It's also delicious heated up the next day, which is fantastic because I had a lot of leftovers.

And hey, guess I'll make some oatmeal for dinner today. That all sounds delicious.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take pictures of everything but on mouse's suggestion:

What I did with my CSA share. For those just joining us CSA is Community Supported Agriculture. It is like having the farmer's market come to you every week. Info about CSAs here.

These past few weeks we have gotten a lot of greens.

Chris made a quick and dirty jambalaya with rice, diced tomatoes, and sausage. I took a handful of CSA mixed greens and stirred them in.

Stir fry with the small radishes we received, carrots from the fridge, pea shoots, chicken, and mustard greens since they are related to horseradish and wasabi. Everything except the chicken was part of the CSA share. Note: you have to use a LOT of greens. LOTS. Way more than twice what you expect to use.

CSA Chard - sauted it with a bit of butter and finished with lemon juice. Served it as a side dish to my grilled cheese. So far this has actually been my favorite. The flavor is like really good spinach but the bite is more solid, almost like a protein. Chris took the leftovers to work with steak on top and I was jealous.

CSA Beets - we have a lot of beets. The internet says that roasting them is best. So I did and OH LOOK A TASTY SALAD!

Yes, the lettuce, spinach, and mixed greens were also part of the CSA share. The candied walnuts and goat cheese were on hand. The avocado sadly was not CSA. The Date Lady spread is local but not CSA.

mouse

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does look extremely tasty.

and it reminds me - i have some beets i should roast.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wrapped the suckers in aluminum foil and tossed them in the oven. The skin really does just slide off with a paper towel (yeah, you should totally wait until it cools).

I got arugula today! And a whole damn handful of basil! More chard, some tiny carrots, many radishes (what do I do with them all??? I tossed them in the stir fry last time), and other greens. Still with all the greens! I need to find more interesting salads.

mouse

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, recently i got a huge bag of them, and made radish kimchi - not bad, even though i couldn't find totally authentic korean chilis.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the martial arts retreat is back on so Chris and I are back to being focused on healthy.

But mostly I just wanted an awesome breakfast. SO, quiona, stawberries, fresh mint, slivered almonds, and a bit of butter to pull it together. I liked it so much that I made more for later breakfast/lunch.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/977985_692636195563_1439064718_o.jpg

edit: Hell, I broke the page. Click the link instead.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had three different cuscus dishes in slightly over a week. One was some mango pepper chicken stuff, one was breakfast, and the other was some pork awesomeness. I fail for not taking pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remade the egg plant parmesan. It was even better.

To answer a question Las asked, I sliced the ep as thick as the mandolin would allow, about 1/4" and lightly salted them. left to sit for 45 minutes, I patted/squeezed them dry and wiped off the salt. dip and bread crumbed them. They weren't salty anymore, and plain enough that we could eat them by themselves since we had left over slices.

Layered them in the pan; sauce, ep, layer of sliced mozz, layer of onions, layer of sliced tomato, repeat, cover with a final bit of sauce and some parmesan cheese flakes.

I had some tomatoes and onions to use up so I added them. No real reason, but it tasted awesome. I did forget the layer of parm in the first set of layers though.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo, great timing - I have a couple of eggplant in the fridge. you dip them in just beaten egg, yes? and don't cook them other than in the whole melange?
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
oooo, great timing - I have a couple of eggplant in the fridge. you dip them in just beaten egg, yes? and don't cook them other than in the whole melange?

I dry them, flour them, egg them, breadcrumb/parm mix.

I fry them in a cast iron pan at 425F for about 5 minutes, flip them onto a pizza stone to dry and crisp the other side.
sporko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse: if you have leftover eggplant you could always make ratatouille! it's super easy and goes great with everything from chicken to italian sausage. nommm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oatmeal adventures have settled into a pretty comfortable formula.

I cook up some oats in milk and then sweeten it with some of that delicious local honey I've become addicted to, then top it off with a few generous dollops of (natural) peanut butter.
Sometimes I skip the honey and use a large spoonful of Nutella before adding the PB. That gets me over the rough times when there are no cookies in the house.

The paste-ified peanuts and the oats together provide a good source of complete protein (as does the milk by itself). Peanuts and natural peanut butter are also loaded with anti-oxidants if you put stock in that stuff, not to mention being a good source of healthy fats and contributing more fiber to the meal, plus promoting a better cholesterol balance.
Oh yeah, and the flavors of oats, honey, and peanut butter work really well together.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made an omelet!

i failed at the folding part, though. Spinal Tap would never trust me. no man who can't fold an omelet can be trusted to understand the importance of folding things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: