welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sinfest recipe book (index pg. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Quote:
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

Saw the episode of good eats the other day, made it, it was teh uber! better than any box stuff. One bit of advice is to use shredded cheese to save time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemontree wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
lemontree: here? http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiforbeginner/r/sushirice.htm

Yep! As well as here. ^_^

Eureka: Yeah I thought of trying portabello mushrooms in it next time, but then a friend of mine pointed out that they're strong flavor might unbalance the dish. What do you think? As for green peppers.. I can take them in small doses, but I don't think I'd really want to throw them in with the rest of my nummy curry. But thats just my own malfunction. =p I do really like the idea of the ramen noodles though and shall definitely try it in the future! (they'd be a hell of a lot easier than the fine science that is sticky rice, sans rice cooker)

Fiona: Of course it wouldn't be as fun because it'd take longer, but worse comes to worse you could always order some curry from websites like Asian Food Grocer. Also, here's the one I used last night, Golden Curry - Mild. But I was also told by friends that, Vermont Curry is supposed to be excellent because it adds an apple flavoring.

I would say mushrooms would be bad in it too. Curry is sorta like beef stew in my mind, and I typically wouldn't put mushrooms in stew. I think I've tried broccoli before too and didn't really care for it. The noodles are great with the curry because the noodles soak up all the wonderous flavor. I've also had the Vermont Curry and well...it was terrible, imo.

Darq: I always get the Hot Golden Curry if I can, it comes in the black box but is harder to find. Also what Benny said about your veggies is right, they are sweet veggies already and also if you add less stuff things will definitely heat up. I usually use half of a large white onion, half a green pepper, half a bag of carrots chopped up, 1 can of diced potatoes, and 4 chicken breasts or so.
AfyonBlade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apricot-Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
I started it, my mother perfected it.

1/2 Jar Apricot Preserves
1/2 block Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 fresh bagette
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp Vanilla and/or cinnamon (Optional)

Start by putting the cream cheese into a bowl, and pouring the preserves onto the top of the cream cheese. Use a spatula to split up the cream cheese before putting the bowl into the microwave and heating until the cream cheese is gooey enough to mix the apricot and cream cheese together. You don't want it too be too soupy, but not really firm, either.

Next beat the eggs before mixing them with the milk and optional ingredients. Stir to get even consistency.

Cut the bagette into slices roughly 2 inches thick. Cut down the center of the new sections, going only about 3/4 of the way down.
Heat up a griddle or pan on high heat for about 4 minutes, to make sure it's really hot, then pour on a thin layer of oil or some non-stick spray. Turn the griddle to about half heat, maybe a bit higher depending on how big your griddle is.
Dip the section of the bagette in the egg-milk mix, then spoon a generous amount of the apricot-cream cheese mix into the sliver in the center of the bread slice. Give it a soft squeeze to make sure the apricot cream cheese sort of glues itself in there, and set it onto the griddle.
Fry for a minute or so(not as long as regular french toast, the sides are much smaller here) on each side, remove.

You can replace the apricot preserves with any other sort of preserves or jam you like. My favorite is strawberry preserves, but it seems the Bed and Breakfast guests enjoyed the apricot mix the best.
Don't ask for nutrition facts. You don't want to know.
Be Evil.
Kimberlea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holloween Pumpkin cake

two boxes of spice cake mix
2/3 cup vegetable oil
6 large eggs
2 15oz cans of pumpkin
1 ice cream cup/cone
1 or 2 standard size bunt pans

Follow the instructions on package of cake mix using the canned pumpkin instead of the water it calls for.
pour half into each bunt pan and bake for 35 minutes at 325 degrees
after letting them cool, carefully trim the tops so that they are flat and even
place them tops together using a little frosting to hold them in place

Frosting:
2 packages of cream cheese, softened
1 large container of whipped cream
orange and green food color

start by mixing a little of the whiped cream in at a time so as not to get rid of all the air
when completely mixed, set some aside and mix in a few drops of green food color
add a few drops of orange to the rest and frost the whole cake
to finish, place the ice cream cone in the center of the cake and frost with the green
badegg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacon and Egg Casserole (Microwave)

1/4 pound bacon -- cut in 1 1/2" pieces
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
3 ounces can sliced mushrooms -- drained
6 large eggs
1/2 cup canned cheddar-cheese soup -- undiluted
2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs

1. Place bacon in 9-inch pie plate. Cover loosely with microwave safe paper
towel. Cook on high 3 minutes. Drain off fat, reserving 1 tablespoon in a
small custard cup; set aside. Stir pepper and mushrooms into bacon; cover;
cook on high 2 minutes.

2. In small bowl, beat eggs with 3 tablespoons water. Pour over bacon
mixture. Cook, uncovered , on High 2 minutes. Stir; cook 1 minute longer, or
until just set.

3. In small bowl, blend soup with 2 tablespoons water; pour over eggs. Add
bread crumbs to reserved bacon fat; sprinkle over soup on eggs. Cook on high
30 seconds.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Irish Haggis

1 sheep, shaved and eviscerated
90 pints of Guinness
30 pounds of oatmeal
1 sack of onions, chopped

Soak a shaved sheep in 80 pints of the Guinness. Roll the sheep in a mixture of oatmeal and onion. Dig a pit in the back yard and build a fire. Roast the sheep for 8 to 10 hours and drink the remaining ten pints of Guinness. Discard any hairy, bony, or hoofy parts of the sheep, and serve with boiled potatoes, cabbage, and plenty of Guinness.
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been really good the past few times, and really easy.
Called MoPa Dofu or similar variations.
Make some rice (2 cups rice).

Need:
2/3 pound ground pork
2 packages tofu (I vary, use firm or soft for different effects)
Garlic and ginger

Spices:
1-2 Tbsp Sichuan peppercorn (grind it a little bit)
1-2 Tbsp Garlic black bean paste
Garlic chili paste
Optional, a little soy sauce, a little sake, a little black vinegar.

Heat some oil in a wok or pan. Add the spices and pastes (not the optional ones). Once they start smelling, add the pork and garlic and ginger. Cook pork. Add tofu and optional stuff. Cook for a while.

The key is the Sichuan peppercorn. You can't use regular peppercorn. Throw in some bok choy to make it healthier.

Last edited by Dro on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Cheesecake!! Reply with quote

Quote:
Butter a nine-inch springform pan. Preheat oven to 350F.

Crust:

One package of graham crackers [one of those packages that come three-in-a box, not the entire box], crushed
Five or so tablespoons of butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar

Stir the sugar and crackers together until you can't see anymore sugar. Mix in the butter with fork until all the crumbs have been moistened.

If it still looks a bit dry, add another tablespoon butter.

Pour into pan and smooth out at the bottom, pressing rather firmly with your fingers. Set aside.

Filling:

Three 8oz. packages of cream cheese, softened [Philidelphia is preferred, but any will do, just none of that 'low-fat' crap]
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. extract [I usually use vanilla, but if you could add rum or lemon]
three eggs, room temp.

Beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Scrape bowl.

Gradually beat in the sugar. Scrape bowl.

Add the eggs one at a time over medium-low speed, putting in the next only after the last one is fully incorporated, scraping bowl after each addition. Stir in extract.

Pour into pan and shake a little to get rid of any airbubbles. Put into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edge is slightly puffy but the middle jiggles.

Take out and cool on rack with a large enough mixing bowl over it [or turn off oven and prop the door open a bit].

Cool for a while [overnight, preferably]. Chill in fridge for a few hours.

Serve: Slice around the pan with knife to loosen and unmold. Use a warmed knife and cut into wedges. Serve alone or with dessert sauces*.

Variations:

Cookies&Cream: roughly crush a package or so of Oreo-cookes [we still want chunks of the cookies] and fold into the batter when adding extract. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Chocolate swirl: melt five oz. semi-sweet/bittersweet chocolate [I go for the Hershey's Special Dark, but whatever floats your boat] and cool. Mix with half-cup of batter until completely blended. Pour the main batter into the pan. Spoon in dollops of the chocolate batter and use a knife to swirl them, careful not to mix. Bake as directed.

Turtle cheesecake:

already cooled cheesecake
half-bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
one 8oz. package of pecans chunks
one jar of caramel sauce, warmed

Lightly toast the pecans and mix in the chips until slightly melted. Pour directly over the cheesecake. Drizzle over the sauce. Let cool for a half-hour or so and put into fridge.

*Sauces can range from creme franche[sp?] to melted raspberry jam. Be innovative!

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i'm hoping someone has some recipes, or at least suggestions, for me.

i was at 99 ranch market today and, as usual, lost my mind. among other things, i have acquired a small clay pot (it's a lidded earthernware casserole sort of thing, lined with glaze). then i realized, i have no idea how to use it. and my great big chinese cookbook doesn't seem to give any recipes for it. SO: anyone used a chinese clay pot? (the cookbook does say it is also called a sand pot). do i need to soak it before use? it has that sort of porousy-look like it might want to be. i just got a small one - sort of a one-person size.

i think it's chinese. asian, anyway.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not what it is for, but it works and is yummy

MUD CAKE

Quote:

20 oz. bag Oreo cookies, crushed
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 1/2 c. milk
2 (3 1/2 oz.) pkgs. instant vanilla pudding
12 oz. Cool Whip
1 pkg. gummy worms

Mix in medium size bowl, the butter, cream cheese, and confectioners' sugar. In another bowl, mix the milk and pudding. Fold in the whipped topping. Fold the 2 mixtures together. Put in 7 inch flower pot as follows: Crushed Oreos, mixture, Oreos, mixture. Repeat several times. Top with silk flowers, gummy worms, and trowel.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i gained 2 lbs just reading that recipe...
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typed sand pot cooking into Google, and the second result had some relevance to your pot. It doesn't need soaking (I think that would be bad for any pot glazed on one side anyway) and it's best for braising and stews, which is what I would have guessed. I usually use the crockpot for those sorts of things, but it sounds like a sand pot lets you do them in the oven instead, and doubles as a serving dish, which is tough with a crockpot.
mouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah - that does give some nice usage info.
i did a little looking myself, found a couple references that said you should cook rice in it first, to "seal" the pot (although it's already glazed inside). still - i have a rather nice recipe for baked rice, think i will try doing that as a first usage. apparently you can use them on the stovetop, but i feel safer baking with it...and rice is a safe thing to start with, if it fails utterly, it's not a huge waste.
Dro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple weeks ago I picked the last of the hardy kiwis (little smooth ones) from my vine and made a chutney by cooking them down with some onion, sugar, spices and vinegar. Tonight I took some pork tenderloins and patted cumin and coriander on them, seared them on a cast iron skillet, then smeared the chutney on them and cooked at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes (internal temp of 140). Removed the pork to a plate, added some wine to the skillet and cooked on the stove to mix in the chutney and pork drippings until it was thickened, then poured over the tenderloins.

It really turned out well. I think it would be good with any chutney.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

ki...wi...chutney?

Very Happy

AWESOME!
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Irish Haggis

1 sheep, shaved and eviscerated
90 pints of Guinness
30 pounds of oatmeal
1 sack of onions, chopped

Soak a shaved sheep in 80 pints of the Guinness. Roll the sheep in a mixture of oatmeal and onion. Dig a pit in the back yard and build a fire. Roast the sheep for 8 to 10 hours and drink the remaining ten pints of Guinness. Discard any hairy, bony, or hoofy parts of the sheep, and serve with boiled potatoes, cabbage, and plenty of Guinness.

I think you need more guiness; 8-10 hours are long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: