welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sinfest recipe book (index pg. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh! i can share the delicious recipe we had last week!!

in a crockpot or slow-cooker put:

diced carrot
sliced mushrooms
chopped cooked chicken (i used leftovers from a roast chicken that had been slathered in whipped garlic - i'll post that recipe once i find a new supply of whipped garlic) (i also supplemented it with a can of chicken)
chicken broth (about two boxes or three cans)
3/4 cup of rice

put on high for about 3 hours. about halfway through, i tasted it and it was kinda bland so i put in some Garlic Garni (again, need to find a link for you)

serve with fresh bread and mmmMMMMMmmmm.

gah. i'm hungry now. *wanders off for breakfast that sadly isn't chicken and rice soup*
eureka00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almond Bark Cookies aka Those Peanut Butter Glob Things
2 lbs almond bark
2 cups peanut butter
5 cups rice krispies
2 cups mini marshmallows
Optional: you can use crunchy peanut butter instead or you can add a cup of peanuts.

Directions: Melt almond bark in microwave in large bowl (make sure you do this slowly with lots of stirring as written on package). Once all lumps are gone, stir in the other ingredients.

I usually cover an entire table with wax paper and then spoon out globs of the mixture. Size of globs depends on you. Let cool/stand for about 45 minutes and they are ready to go! Simple and yummy especially if you have some peanut butter lovers.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reserving this spot for a fudge recipe that I'll post after dinner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SlinkyKat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! When I get a chance, I am totally submitting my Hollandaise sauce!

I taught myself how to make eggs Benedict when I was 8 and omelettes when I was 11. I love making breakfast/brunch (brunch is better, 'cause you can serve alcohol!). Remember that next time there's a Sinfest Con! "SlinkyKat will make the morning feast!"
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer is a fine and invigorating breakfast drink.

-Slick
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:

I prefer bourbon.

Im not a real morning person.
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a recipe for disaster.
SlinkyKat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
For the longest time I had to have a Dos Equis (lager - the green bottle) and a shot of gold tequila while I ate my huevos Rancheros...then all the years of drinking Pancho Villa (a wretched white tequila sold in plastic bottles and served in Mexican dive bars) caught up with me. Now I have to make do with a tamarind Jarritos soda, or an agua fresca.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted shh wrote:
necro...

buffalo chicken dip

* 2 (10 ounce) cans chunk chicken, drained
* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
* 1 cup Ranch dressing
* 3/4 cup pepper sauce, such as FranksŪ Red HotŪ
* 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly.

Eat with crackers, chips, bread, whatever you feel like Smile

Also, More easy recipes would be great. I hate cooking complicated things for only one or two people.

I had this a week ago, only with Bleu cheese instead of ranch.
tinkeringIdiot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh...tamarind Jarritos...

I got the tamarind flavor and the malt flavor mixed up once when I was younger. They are totally not the same. Also, I used to look like Pancho Villa before I cut my hair.

Braised short ribs:

1 lb beef short ribs
1 can tomato paste
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
any herbs and spices you see fit to add
salt and pepper

Mix all the flavory stuff together in a big bowl with a whisk. Salt and pepper the ribs and sear in a screaming hot skillet. Toss the seared ribs in the tasty paste to coat. Wrap them in two layers of foil...make sure to seal them up real good. Put the foil packs in a COLD - very important - COLD oven. Set the oven temp to 250F and set a timer for 5 hours. When the timer does the beep, take the packs out. While they're hot, cut the end off and drain the tasty liquid out into a glass measuring cup or other non-plastic tallish device. Stick that tasty in the fridge. Pull the meat out and pull out the bone. Or don't if you want to serve them in gnawable form. Put the meat, covered, in the fridge. Come back the next day and the tasty liquid will have formed a tasty fat puck on top. Grab that off the top and save for later use (it's great for sauteing). Pull out the meat and cut off the remaining connective tissue with kitchen shears. Now you can do all kinds of stuff with it! Make a sauce out of the liquid and heat the meat, serve over rice or noodles. If you added asian spices, make a thick sauce out of the liquid and add to stir fried veggies and the meat....
jwing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buuuns

a staple in our bento boxes. yoinked from this page but modified because i'm lazy.

frozen dinner roll dough (i use Rhodes because that's what the store has)
filling:
it varies. i've used
those buckets o' bbq pulled meat (beef, chicken or pork)
chopped meatballs, chopped string cheese and spaghetti sauce
peanut butter and jelly (omg, soooo goood)
chopped lunchmeat and cheddar cheese
leftover beef'n'brocolli

thaw the dough. i used to store the bag in the fridge for a day and then fight to pull the rolls apart, but last time i used the quick defrost (put them on a cookie sheet and in a warm humid oven for 1 1/2 hours -- wow, no fighting with the dough! all thawed and not stuck to each other! yay!)

roll each doughball on slightly floured surface to about 4" round.

put a dollop of your filling in the center. don't overfill, but don't be stingy.

now, imagine the dough is a compass. fold the N and S points together. fold the E and W points together. fold the NE and SW points together. fold the NW and SE points together. the dough should be completely surrounding your dollop of filling and it should be sealed.

place buuun on a slightly greased baking sheet. do the rest of the dough. a 36-roll bag of dough will fill 2 baking sheets. when one sheet is filled, cover with a dishtowel and let rise for 20 minutes. you can work on the second sheet during the first sheet's rising time.

preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

the original site had you brushing the dough with eggwhites and sprinkling sesame seeds on them. i don't do that. just pop the sheet into the oven for 15 minutes or until they're golden brown.

let them cool a little bit. *drool* very yummy.

i store them in the freezer. in the morning, i grab two per bento, microwave them for a minute to get most the frost out, then into the toaster oven to toast, being careful not to burn them. add a fruit, veg, treat and crunchy bits and lunch is ready in less than five minutes.
SlinkyKat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinkeringIdiot wrote:
heh...tamarind Jarritos...

I got the tamarind flavor and the malt flavor mixed up once when I was younger. They are totally not the same. Also, I used to look like Pancho Villa before I cut my hair.

Oh no - malt-flavor Jarritos??! Shocked Is that good - in any way? You poor thing! Expecting tamarind and then getting...malt. *shudder*

You probably looked a lot better than the Pancho Villa cartoon on the bottles of "tequila" (I use the term loosely with this product) that bore his name. If I can find an image of it, I will PM it to you!

And now for a recipe I got from my box @ almanac.com (I know, I know: I'm a dork!)! I am sure you will all appreciate...

Tipsy Strawberry-Watermelon Pops
Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Start to Finish Time: 250 minutes

Yield: About 3-1/2 cups mix, enough for 10 2-1/2-ounce pops

To make these pops without the liqueur, simply add an extra 2 tablespoons sugar.

1 pound strawberries, hulled
1-1/2 pounds seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into large chunks
Juice of 1 large lime
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup melon-flavored liqueur, such as Midori (optional)

Combine strawberries, watermelon chunks, lime juice, water, and sugar in blender. Blend 20 seconds, pressing down with wooden spoon as needed. Pour mixture through fine-mesh strainer, pressing with spatula, to remove seeds. Rinse blender, then pour strained liquid back into blender with liqueur. Blend another 20 seconds. Pour into molds and freeze 4 hours or overnight.

***edited to remove offending underline***

Last edited by SlinkyKat on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tipsy really does not need to be underlined in the title of that recipe.

-Slick
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Tipsy really does not need to be underlined in the title of that recipe.

as if it matters one way or another.
tinkeringIdiot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The malt flavor is in no way good. It's like the malt syrup you get at the brewing supplies store mixed with a tiny lil bit of fuzzy water. I don't know if they sell it up here though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: