welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yinello's Card Game (now with a giveaway!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

hOi!
I'm Bob
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

Yinello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Yinello's Card Game (now with a giveaway!) Reply with quote

So around the beginning of the year I told everyone that I was done with not being able to find a job because of lack of experience and decided to start a freelance board game business. I've had two failures behind me (too complex, too common) but now I've made something that people say they love and I'm super proud of it!

So Cobrasphinx Games (aka me) presents to you all:

A strategic card game where you play as a god trying to outsmart other gods!

I've put up a video manual here so you can check out how the game works (and what's in the box)!

I absolutely adore how it looks - I asked my freelance artist friend to give the game a pastel slightly-gihbli feel and she's done an amazing job. Below some pictures of the process:

(This is my favorite card hah)

Final product!

So you got a finished prototype - what now brown cow?

Somewhere in the future I plan to set up a crowdfunding page to see if this is something people I don't know would love to own this! Right now I'm checking to see the current mood by making posts like this so I can get an estimate of how much I can raise and how many boxes I might be able to ship out.

Will you offer bonus rewards on the crowdfunding page?

Absolutely! So far we are planning to offer: a completely custom made god card of your preferences, monster & human yarn plushies and 3d printed monster & human pawns (the last one is still in negotiation).

If you have any suggestions that you'd love to see, let me know!

What can I do to help?

The best thing you can do is spread the word! The more people that know about this, the better! Below some social media links:

https://www.facebook.com/templebetween2worlds <- This one gets updated the most as I'm the most savvy with it.
https://twitter.com/TempleB2Worlds
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tb2w

Website! www.cobrasphinx.nl

I don't really want to wait for crowdfunding but I would like a basic box.

We have a bunch of basic boxes right now lovingly being filled by me this week! If you'd like to order one directly, send me a message with your request and address at cobrasphinx@gmail.com (temporary email until the website is up!) and I'll send you an invoice depending on your location. I'm not making a profit at all with the first batch as I want the name to spread, so you're getting a great deal!

I've got a question/criticism/advice!

I would love to hear it! Even criticism on the art will help as I can always change it if needed.

<3

Last edited by Yinello on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:11 am; edited 9 times in total
omelet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the video manual, your prototype looks amazing! The art is especially gorgeous.

Have you considered entering your game on BoardGameGeek? It is the place for connecting with the tabletop game industry. I'd also recommend posting about it there for feedback, the folks there are really friendly and know their games.

When it comes to crowdfunding a game, there is no better source than Jamey Stonemaier's Kickstarter Series. His company has released 5 games using Kickstarter, with a sixth one currently in the process of being funded. (It's well over its goal right now.)

Your product appears to be of good quality so there's no problem there, but you may need to do more marketing before you're ready for a crowdfunding campaign. Two weeks may not be enough unfortunately. Let me know if you want any targeted advice based on that.

(I happen to have been doing a lot of research on this particular topic lately Embarassed )
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omelet wrote:
I watched the video manual, your prototype looks amazing! The art is especially gorgeous.

Have you considered entering your game on BoardGameGeek? It is the place for connecting with the tabletop game industry. I'd also recommend posting about it there for feedback, the folks there are really friendly and know their games.

When it comes to crowdfunding a game, there is no better source than Jamey Stonemaier's Kickstarter Series. His company has released 5 games using Kickstarter, with a sixth one currently in the process of being funded. (It's well over its goal right now.)

Your product appears to be of good quality so there's no problem there, but you may need to do more marketing before you're ready for a crowdfunding campaign. Two weeks may not be enough unfortunately. Let me know if you want any targeted advice based on that.

(I happen to have been doing a lot of research on this particular topic lately Embarassed )

Thank you! <3 There's a lot of love in this little box of paper and plastic.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely make a post there.

Awesome, I'm going to read everything.

I would love advice as I'm definitely a marketing noob. I don't mind postponing the crowdfunding if it helps me out. Very Happy Teach me senpai!
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not my scene, but it looks gorgeous. Best of luck Yinello!
Pineapple

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is beautiful
omelet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a marketing noob, so I'm probably just gonna say a lot of obvious stuff >_< but my targeted advice (judging only from what I see of your social media profiles) would be to spend some more time building up your community. Your goal is to get your game in front of as many eyes as possible in a non-spammy way.

One way to do that is of course being active on social media. For example, on Twitter you probably wanna increase how many people follow you, because they'll see your posts on their feeds and that's your way to advertise yourself on Twitter.

You can search for and follow other board game creators and reviewers (I would aim for 100-400 at first, avoid bots), reply to tweets that strike your eye, maybe tweet or retweet some interesting things that have to do with gaming, to balance out the tweets where you advertise your game. Aim for daily tweets if you can. If you do this right, you'll probably get at least 1 follower for every 5 you follow, which is a good start.

So basically apply the above to the other social media sites. Here's a post on BoardGameGeek that outlines essential community-building tasks. It mentions what content is good to post on different sites.

Another way to build community is to reach out to people you know in real life, and to your local boardgaming community. Maybe you have friends and family that will tell their friends about your game. Maybe there's a tabletop group that meets once a week or month to play, play games with them and see if they will play your game too! If you're already doing this, post pics on the internet of everyone having fun playing all the games, and especially your game Very Happy

If there is no local tabletop gaming group, maybe you can start one.

If there's any local game conventions or other nerd-interest events, definitely go with a friend and see if you can get strangers to play your game with you.

Make sure you let interested people, especially strangers that want the game, know how they can be notified when your kickstarter is happening. Maybe that means they follow you on one of your social media accounts. Maybe you have a mailing list that you can add their email to. (You should probably have a mailing list.)

If you REALLY wanna burn some time on this... browse the Tabletop Games section on Kicktraq and see what current campaigns are doing. Learn to identify campaigns that will most likely fail, go to their social media sites, see if you can pick out things they could be doing better. I think it's fun Very Happy

So, how do you know you're ready to start the campaign... This article claims you should be able to raise 20% of your goal in the first day to be successful. I'm sure there are exceptions, but it seems like a good rule of thumb.

Hope this post was helpful! I think your game will be a hit with the right preparation.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are gorgeous, Yinello!

I'm at a con this weekend so i cant give you the attention it deserves yet, but I'll come back!
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks great, and your video is really nice. I second checking out board game geek. Most board game lovers worth their salt use it. I know there are some popular blogs, podcast, youtube people who play and review games too. Could be something to look into, as well. Smile
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
omelet wrote:

Thank you! <3 There's a lot of love in this little box of paper and plastic.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely make a post there.

Awesome, I'm going to read everything.

I would love advice as I'm definitely a marketing noob. I don't mind postponing the crowdfunding if it helps me out. Very Happy Teach me senpai!

First off: awesome product!

Just a quick idea: put links to you twitter and fb page in channel description along with the video as well as put up some annotations on the video itself. Lowering the bar for engagement is essential to social marketing campaigns and you never know how people will choose to engage with you or what devices they might be using.

Also, before seeking crowdfunding, I would refine the video a bit more. I have a bunch of suggestion to offer but I'd say the two biggest things are the sound level and the transitions. On head phones I can hear you, but not if there's background noise. Through my MacBook speakers I barely can hear you. As for transitions, I would divide up you rules into specific sections. Inbetween these you could have cue card spliced inbetween to keep people's attention and focus. If you need help with video editing I'm pretty handy with that sort of thing and can help with what ever you need. I'll pm you a sample of stuff I've done before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mr Gary, Pineapple, Samsally and eureka: Thank you!

omelet wrote:
I'm also a marketing noob, so I'm probably just gonna say a lot of obvious stuff >_< but my targeted advice (judging only from what I see of your social media profiles) would be to spend some more time building up your community. Your goal is to get your game in front of as many eyes as possible in a non-spammy way.

One way to do that is of course being active on social media. For example, on Twitter you probably wanna increase how many people follow you, because they'll see your posts on their feeds and that's your way to advertise yourself on Twitter.

You can search for and follow other board game creators and reviewers (I would aim for 100-400 at first, avoid bots), reply to tweets that strike your eye, maybe tweet or retweet some interesting things that have to do with gaming, to balance out the tweets where you advertise your game. Aim for daily tweets if you can. If you do this right, you'll probably get at least 1 follower for every 5 you follow, which is a good start.

So basically apply the above to the other social media sites. Here's a post on BoardGameGeek that outlines essential community-building tasks. It mentions what content is good to post on different sites.

Another way to build community is to reach out to people you know in real life, and to your local boardgaming community. Maybe you have friends and family that will tell their friends about your game. Maybe there's a tabletop group that meets once a week or month to play, play games with them and see if they will play your game too! If you're already doing this, post pics on the internet of everyone having fun playing all the games, and especially your game Very Happy

If there is no local tabletop gaming group, maybe you can start one.

If there's any local game conventions or other nerd-interest events, definitely go with a friend and see if you can get strangers to play your game with you.

Make sure you let interested people, especially strangers that want the game, know how they can be notified when your kickstarter is happening. Maybe that means they follow you on one of your social media accounts. Maybe you have a mailing list that you can add their email to. (You should probably have a mailing list.)

If you REALLY wanna burn some time on this... browse the Tabletop Games section on Kicktraq and see what current campaigns are doing. Learn to identify campaigns that will most likely fail, go to their social media sites, see if you can pick out things they could be doing better. I think it's fun Very Happy

So, how do you know you're ready to start the campaign... This article claims you should be able to raise 20% of your goal in the first day to be successful. I'm sure there are exceptions, but it seems like a good rule of thumb.

Hope this post was helpful! I think your game will be a hit with the right preparation.

Thanks for the advice! I have been struggling to find a use for twitter so I think tweeting other creators and reviewers is a great idea! I'll definitely schedule an hour a day or so to do this the coming days.

I am part of a group that games together and they've already promised to play my game and make pictures of it. Very Happy We live a bit far apart from each other but I'm pushing to get a date as soon as possible. Wink

While I do keep everyone's e-mail that is interested, what I'm missing is something online that people can easily enter their e-mail in. My friends are working on a site but I think that's gonna take a small while - do you know a quick and easy alternative that delivers e-mails of strangers to me fast (instead of saying: hey send me a message here of whatever)?

I'm gonna do a LOT of reading and typing to prepare. Like I read on the site you linked, I don't need to kickstart today. Thanks for the help!
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

First off: awesome product!

Just a quick idea: put links to you twitter and fb page in channel description along with the video as well as put up some annotations on the video itself. Lowering the bar for engagement is essential to social marketing campaigns and you never know how people will choose to engage with you or what devices they might be using.

Also, before seeking crowdfunding, I would refine the video a bit more. I have a bunch of suggestion to offer but I'd say the two biggest things are the sound level and the transitions. On head phones I can hear you, but not if there's background noise. Through my MacBook speakers I barely can hear you. As for transitions, I would divide up you rules into specific sections. Inbetween these you could have cue card spliced inbetween to keep people's attention and focus. If you need help with video editing I'm pretty handy with that sort of thing and can help with what ever you need. I'll pm you a sample of stuff I've done before.

I've moved the links up higher so that people see them easier. Annotations is a good idea, I'll do that too. Very Happy

I definitely plan on making a new video for the crowdfunding itself - I'll check out your PM!
omelet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

While I do keep everyone's e-mail that is interested, what I'm missing is something online that people can easily enter their e-mail in. My friends are working on a site but I think that's gonna take a small while - do you know a quick and easy alternative that delivers e-mails of strangers to me fast (instead of saying: hey send me a message here of whatever)?

I've used MailChimp before, I think it will host a signup form for you that people can enter their email into. It's free for lists with less than 2000 addresses. There are other services that are probably just as good, this is just the one that gets mentioned the most often.
jwadd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Yinello, long time lurker first time poster, what advice would you have for someone wanting to do a comicbook kickstarter that maybe had a digital card game component ?
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd wrote:
hey Yinello, long time lurker first time poster, what advice would you have for someone wanting to do a comicbook kickstarter that maybe had a digital card game component ?

Sorry for the late ass reply, I've been suuuuuuper busy.

My advice would be:

-Keep the cardgame simple - like really minimal. You can always add stuff but taking stuff away is a huge task. Also simple games are often well-received because people don't want to read an endless manual.

-start with a story and then build mechanics around it. Seeing as it's a comicbook that shouldn't be hard. Wink

-Don't use dice if you can. RNG is almost in every game but dice add the biggest RNG which can make a game very unfair for unlucky players. (unless every dice number gives the player an equal amount of power over the game)

-Test it a lot. Let friends and strangers test it. The most important thing you're looking for if it's fun. After that you gotta check if it's balanced for every player.

-Don't be afraid to borrow other existing game mechanics and building on it. My game started out as a rock paper scissors variant and it evolved over time. Seeing as you are doing a kickstarter on a comicbook, I would say this is going to be more needed because you want to focus on bringing over the theme of your comic, not necessarily bringing an original game on the market.

Good luck! Please post your kickstarter when you make it. Very Happy

Last edited by Yinello on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give an update, I've currently sold 24 boxes (yay!) and I will also have a stand at Spellenspektakel Eindhoven, should anyone happen to be in the South of Holland at 7/8 November.

Kickstarter has been postponed until I feel enough people have heard of it, no point in wasting time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: