welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sinfest Strip 7/13
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xiph0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Sinfest Strip 7/13 Reply with quote

Nice and witty.
Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i adore it. Very Happy
Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay.
DarkSouled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally rocks me.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, might as well start using this forum right.

I don't like the comic.

The first three panels are alright - not spectacular work, but pretty good. Seymour's reaction in the last panel, though, seems badly out of character for him.

He has no greater joy than burying himself completely in serving God, and also falls for typical fanboy-traps. He wouldn't hesitate for an instant before jumping on the "give God your money" bandwagon. In fact, after he signed up, I would expect Seymour to begin confronting other people with exactly the invective the ATM uses.

For most of the characters, if put in Seymour's place, they would instantly, gleefully, and even proudly accept the title of "selfish, materialistic, greedy atheistic whore of commerce" and that would be the joke. I really think only Criminy would've had a chance of pulling off this situation.
Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Well, might as well start using this forum right.

I don't like the comic.

The first three panels are alright - not spectacular work, but pretty good. Seymour's reaction in the last panel, though, seems badly out of character for him.

He has no greater joy than burying himself completely in serving God, and also falls for typical fanboy-traps. He wouldn't hesitate for an instant before jumping on the "give God your money" bandwagon. In fact, after he signed up, I would expect Seymour to begin confronting other people with exactly the invective the ATM uses.

For most of the characters, if put in Seymour's place, they would instantly, gleefully, and even proudly accept the title of "selfish, materialistic, greedy atheistic whore of commerce" and that would be the joke. I really think only Criminy would've had a chance of pulling off this situation.

im going to have to disagree with you there. and i'm going to explain it nice and thorough like so you dont get all pissy and pick at every sentence as not praising tat.

Little Devil and Little god fanboy are dopplegangers. They are both not soley devoted to their obsession, but they do have great interest in it(The Devil or God). But not to the point where they lose what makes them a fanboy. Fanboy first then worship. Part of their characters is that they need to be a fanboy first in order to worship. Not be able to get money in order to further fanboy in order to worship because of worship presents a natural conflict in the way little God fanboy thinks.

and tat has done similar things with little devil and little god fanboy before.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
im going to have to disagree with you there. and i'm going to explain it nice and thorough like so you dont get all pissy and pick at every sentence as not praising tat.

This isn't a good thing to say. Really. In the other thread, you claimed I "misinterpreted" you when I did no such thing, and then questioned (rhetorically) my motives for doing so. I wasn't being pissy or picking at anything, I was answering.

Also, do you really think I care if you praise Tat or not? Did you notice that I am in this thread criticizing the strip? Wink

Dusty wrote:
Fanboy first then worship. Part of their characters is that they need to be a fanboy first in order to worship. Not be able to get money in order to further fanboy in order to worship because of worship presents a natural conflict in the way little God fanboy thinks.

This is a good point, but I think it misses for two reasons. The first is that signing up at the ATM is directly a fanboy move. It would be like saying that a person would avoid a concert played by their favourite band because then they wouldn't have the money to buy the T-Shirts and CDs.

The second reason is that it seems the honest reading to me that Seymour is showing sense. He is demonstrating understanding that fanaticism is problematic. He is not concerned with his ability to fanboy, but instead shows that he knows there is a degree of fanboy that is just going too far. This would make perfect sense as a part of a story arc developing Seymour, but doesn't work just out of the blue like this.
Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Dusty wrote:

This isn't a good thing to say. Really. In the other thread, you claimed I "misinterpreted" you when I did no such thing, and then questioned (rhetorically) my motives for doing so. I wasn't being pissy or picking at anything, I was answering.

Also, do you really think I care if you praise Tat or not? Did you notice that I am in this thread criticizing the strip? Wink

Dusty wrote:
Fanboy first then worship. Part of their characters is that they need to be a fanboy first in order to worship. Not be able to get money in order to further fanboy in order to worship because of worship presents a natural conflict in the way little God fanboy thinks.

This is a good point, but I think it misses for two reasons. The first is that signing up at the ATM is directly a fanboy move. It would be like saying that a person would avoid a concert played by their favourite band because then they wouldn't have the money to buy the T-Shirts and CDs.

The second reason is that it seems the honest reading to me that Seymour is showing sense. He is demonstrating understanding that fanaticism is problematic. He is not concerned with his ability to fanboy, but instead shows that he knows there is a degree of fanboy that is just going too far. This would make perfect sense as a part of a story arc developing Seymour, but doesn't work just out of the blue like this.

you are an asshole. not in the offensive way, but in the way you excrete pure shit when you explain yourself.
BobSagat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:

Insults aside... the ATM set-up is purely fictional, as in purely fictional, it's a one-time gag that probably won't be used ever again, unlike the "Wish Booth". The logistics aren't really needed, especially if it's a comic that focuses more on wit and character than anything else.

Second, we already knew that Seymour was not as mindless as he was supposedly drawn as. There have been instances where he is actually unsure with God despite his vitality in the Christian faith. Why? Because he's still human. And he is still a bit uncertain over these bounds of faith because there will always be that voice in his head of disbelief.

And thus, depth to his character is created rather than a brainless zealot.
Dusty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSagat wrote:
Sojobo wrote:

Insults aside... the ATM set-up is purely fictional, as in purely fictional, it's a one-time gag that probably won't be used ever again, unlike the "Wish Booth". The logistics aren't really needed, especially if it's a comic that focuses more on wit and character than anything else.

Second, we already knew that Seymour was not as mindless as he was supposedly drawn as. There have been instances where he is actually unsure with God despite his vitality in the Christian faith. Why? Because he's still human. And he is still a bit uncertain over these bounds of faith because there will always be that voice in his head of disbelief.

this is what i was trying to say with more insults.
Willem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we really going to do this every day? 90% of the comments will just be "OMG ITS AWESME." (Thanks Sojobo, for making it interesting)
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the happy that the strip is daily once again.
I missed my daily dose of awesome.

Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Are we really going to do this every day? 90% of the comments will just be "OMG ITS AWESME." (Thanks Sojobo, for making it interesting)

I was wandering about that as well.... there are only so many ways to misspell awesome and great.

I love sinfest but I don't it really lends well to indepth literary analysis.
well not on daily per coming basis anyway
Sojobo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
you are an asshole. not in the offensive way, but in the way you excrete pure shit when you explain yourself.

this is what i was trying to say with more insults.

You weren't trying to say anything, because you quite clearly have nothing to say. You have made more than 100 posts here in just a couple of days without adding any kind of value. You have no personality or creativity, and serve no useful function whatsoever. Here's a bit of advice: not being the last poster in a thread is not sufficient reason to make a post.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSagat wrote:
Insults aside... the ATM set-up is purely fictional, as in purely fictional, it's a one-time gag that probably won't be used ever again, unlike the "Wish Booth".
If it were Slick in the strip, and he rattled off Seymour's line, there would have been no question he was misused. The characters are not interchangable, and it doesn't matter if the ATM is a one-time gag, consistant character is still necessary for the strip to be good.

BobSagat wrote:
The logistics aren't really needed, especially if it's a comic that focuses more on wit and character than anything else.

Logistics?
And you're backing what I'm saying here. The comic focuses on wit and character. It is very important that the characters behave as they have been designed.

BobSagat wrote:

Doubting God is not the issue, and I am not calling Seymour a flat character. I'm saying that he is a fanboy, and is always a fanboy, and he should act like a fanboy until a story arc develops his character into not being a fanboy. The ATM is a bright and shiny new God-Thing, and he would be totally into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: