welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice, plz!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sklent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Kitty wrote:
Sklent wrote:
What would you recommend for a guy with a larger build? I'm 6'4" and around 240 pounds.

(I also don't have chiseled features or long, flowing locks. Very Happy)

Hm... What do you wear? What would you like to look like? (can I see picture? ^.^ I draw you nice. ^_~)

Here's a picture of me one a surprised expression on my face. Nevermind that this was a mirror shot and I was the one taking the picture, that's motherfucking shock.

I have a weird build, and a loose-fitting button-down shirt usually helps to disguise that. I generally go for dark jeans and right now I'm wearing semi-fancy dark suede boots.
Sklent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing my first job interview on Wednesday. Any tips? (Don't punch the Human Resources manager is a good one, but I already got that one covered.)
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
Go with user reviews. The only three real factors, IMO, when you're buying an LCD monitor are viewable angle, brightness and maximum resolution, all of which aren't really attributes tied to a brand.

I'd say viewable angle isn't quite so important if you're going to park yourself in front of it. One reason I haven't switched to LCD displays is that they lack contrast and all the blacks look like washed out blue-greys.
Omega F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sklent wrote:
I'm doing my first job interview on Wednesday. Any tips? (Don't punch the Human Resources manager is a good one, but I already got that one covered.)

Wear a suit and tie. Shake hands firmly, and look everyone in the eye. No matter what they ask you, be confident and not wishy-washy.

Captain Obvious stuff, but you'd be surprised how many people do the exact opposite.
andrew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
andrew wrote:
Go with user reviews. The only three real factors, IMO, when you're buying an LCD monitor are viewable angle, brightness and maximum resolution, all of which aren't really attributes tied to a brand.

I'd say viewable angle isn't quite so important if you're going to park yourself in front of it. One reason I haven't switched to LCD displays is that they lack contrast and all the blacks look like washed out blue-greys.

The viewable angle is actually very, very important when parking yourself in front of it, especially from a design standpoint. a 5-10 degree difference in viewing angle (e.g. what you see in the center compared to what you see at the top/bottom) makes a pretty big difference in color fidelity.

It becomes especially important working with multi-panel displays, and for close-up work.
Sklent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega F wrote:
Sklent wrote:

Wear a suit and tie. Shake hands firmly, and look everyone in the eye. No matter what they ask you, be confident and not wishy-washy.

Captain Obvious stuff, but you'd be surprised how many people do the exact opposite.

I'm interviewing to be a lot attendant at Home Depot. Suit & tie kind of seems kind of overkill. It is Captain Obvious stuff (matter of fact, isn't that him in your avatar?) but I do need to be reminded sometimes.
Desire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sklent wrote:

As someone who performs job interviews periodically, I'll tell you what I look for.

Dress nicely, if it's an office job, suit and tie, if it's a more relaxed atmosphere, at least wear nice slacks and a polo or button-up shirt.

I second the look people in the eye, it shows you aren't trying to hide anything and makes people feel that you're confidant. Don't stare them down though, that's just creepy.

Smile occasionally. Seriously. And laugh if the person makes a joke. Do I want to work everyday with someone who is dour and doesn't know how to have fun? You might not see a connection, but spending your day around people that are willing to smile is MUCH better then spending it with people who are too serious and never do. Especially while working, cause it's called work, not fun, so every bit helps.

Expect that they are going to ask you why you want to work there and what you have to offer them. Have answers ready. It is always a good idea to have examples of how you work well in a team (teamwork) environment as well as on your own. If the job means you'll be dealing with customers, then you'll want an example in mind of how you went above and beyond to help out someone.
Keep in mind the skills you'll need for the job you're applying for and try to come up with answers that will demonstrate that you have those abilities.

If you know anyone who works where you're applying, ask them about the job(s) and what kinds of questions they were asked at their interviews. If you don't, maybe you know people that work in similar environments?

Stay positive and good luck.
kame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sklent wrote:
Omega F wrote:
Sklent wrote:

I'm interviewing to be a lot attendant at Home Depot. Suit & tie kind of seems kind of overkill. It is Captain Obvious stuff (matter of fact, isn't that him in your avatar?) but I do need to be reminded sometimes.

Wear what you would on a date with a person you really want to impress, but don't want to let on that you're trying to impress them. Other than that, try and figure out what kind of questions they're going to ask you and come up with bullshit answers they want to hear. Notable favorites from my job interviews are:

"Where do you see yourself in five years?"

"Why do you want to work here?"

"Why should I hire you over someone else?"

Some interviewers will take a different tact, and ask you to describe situations where you were:

- in charge
- had to deal with a problematic co-worker
- had to deal with a problematic boss

Other than that, yeah, what the other dude said. If you're going to be wrong, at least be decisively wrong. Smile
Sklent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and P.S., Desire's a woman. Smile

How do I respond to "Why should I hire you over someone else?" Any answer I've tried to formulate in my mind has been pretty close to "Well all the other applicants are dumbasses."
kame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sklent wrote:
Thanks, and P.S., Desire's a woman. Smile

Was referring to Omega F, Desire got her post in while I was still writing mine. I'd follow her's before mine since I've never interviewed anyone for a job, so I don't know that perspective all that well.

As far as your question goes, if you have no job experience, go with personality. Something along the lines of you being capable, dependable, and well-suited for the task at hand. If lying don't work you, then I'm out of answers.

I'm supposed to say something perverted about Desire now, aren't I? Wink
JohnnyStrider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on where you're interviewing Sklent, do a bit of research into the place. Just enough to say "Hey I'm familiar with all your shit!" ... don't say that word for word.

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
how do i shot web?

I thought I escaped this line! Damn you Higher Voltage!
Desire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:

I'm supposed to say something perverted about Desire now, aren't I? Wink

No worries, I manage to say perverted things all by myself quite easily. ;p

I wouldn't lie though. If you get the job, they'll figure it out eventually and things will get awkward at best. Embellish a bit, maybe. Remember, you're trying to sell yourself, basically.

And why should they hire you? Because you're hard-working, a team player but also responsible enough to work on your own/unsupervised, and you really want/need the job.
The last can be important because you'll be less likely to call out and leave them stuck and more likely to show up on time.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwing wrote:
What should I wear for my 20th high school reunion? The thingie says "dressy casual attire" Wtf does that mean?

Thank you.

That means like what you would wear to church. Or at least, what I would wear to church. No jeans, but not a fancy dress either. Dressy slacks/capris/skirt. Maybe even a casual sun dress. They just don't want you in jeans and looking like a bum basically. But they don't want you in your prom dress either.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Kay, so I'm going out tomorrow night and need to know which one I should wear. Or some other combination.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/16/dressup2iv7.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7060/dressup3jt1.jpg
(closeup on #2 top)

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6554/dressup5br1.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5369/dressup6bh9.jpg

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/4008/dressup9zj8.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/4550/dressup10cn6.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8176/dressup11bd5.jpg
(closer look at #7)

Black strapless. Definitely.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Go with the black strapless. Then you can wear fun jeans and jewelry. Oooh, and cute shoes.

...I'm not a super girly girl, I swear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: