welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice, plz!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celaeno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
jwing wrote:
What should I wear for my 20th high school reunion? The thingie says "dressy casual attire" Wtf does that mean?

Thank you.

That means like what you would wear to church. Or at least, what I would wear to church. No jeans, but not a fancy dress either. Dressy slacks/capris/skirt. Maybe even a casual sun dress. They just don't want you in jeans and looking like a bum basically. But they don't want you in your prom dress either.

I don't think there's anything wrong with jeans if they're nice jeans and you play them up with dressy shoes and a nice blouse. Hey, if jeans are red carpet material, you can wear jeans anywhere. (It would, however, be a trendier look, and you might feel a little out of place at a 20th reunion.)
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:
jwing wrote:
What should I wear for my 20th high school reunion? The thingie says "dressy casual attire" Wtf does that mean?

Thank you.

That means like what you would wear to church. Or at least, what I would wear to church. No jeans, but not a fancy dress either. Dressy slacks/capris/skirt. Maybe even a casual sun dress. They just don't want you in jeans and looking like a bum basically. But they don't want you in your prom dress either.

I don't think there's anything wrong with jeans if they're nice jeans and you play them up with dressy shoes and a nice blouse. Hey, if jeans are red carpet material, you can wear jeans anywhere. (It would, however, be a trendier look, and you might feel a little out of place at a 20th reunion.)

I agree with you, that I think that would be acceptable. Because I don't think there's anything wrong with jeans either, especially if you're wearing them with dressy shoes and a nice shirt.

But most often then not, when they say dressy casual, they do mean no jeans.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:

Because they're too stuffy and traditional. Let's change that.

(I am a jeans aficionado. I wear them all the time. I even wore them two weeks ago in the 100+ degrees Fahrenheit weather.)
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:

Because they're too stuffy and traditional. Let's change that.

(I am a jeans aficionado. I wear them all the time. I even wore them two weeks ago in the 100+ degrees Fahrenheit weather.)

Yes! Seriously, I want to wear converse shoes to my wedding... so I <3 wearing jeans over dressy slacks or that crap any day!

Also, I did the same when I lived in Florida. I wore jeans all throughout the summer there. And what a sauna that place is. Haha.
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
I <3 wearing jeans over dressy slacks

Yes, the "doubled pants" look is quite trendy these days.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:
I <3 wearing jeans over dressy slacks

Yes, the "doubled pants" look is quite trendy these days.

Sklent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:

And why should they hire you? Because you're hard-working, a team player but also responsible enough to work on your own/unsupervised, and you really want/need the job.
The last can be important because you'll be less likely to call out and leave them stuck and more likely to show up on time.

Okay, that helps, but what if they ask me why they should hire me over someone else.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're playing this game...

I'm going to be traveling Europe for two weeks with one very small carry-on and a school-sized backpack. I'm wearing a pair of jeans on the plane and packing another. I don't plan on doing laundry and have no problem recycling clothes (except undwear--I'm bringing one pair for each day).

What sort of clothing is appropriate for London, Prague, and Munich? I don't want to stand out as a tasteless American, but I'd like to travel light. I plan on taking a few skirts; can I wear those with slippers (read: flip-flops for you non-Hawaii people)? We'll be doing a lot of walking. I'll pack sunglasses, a watch, and an umbrella; are there any other accessories I'll need? We're staying in hostels and that means no jewelry for me. I'm not too concerned about the fashion part of all this, but I am a little concerned about practicality and convenience.
Xavyor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
While we're playing this game...

I'm going to be traveling Europe for two weeks with one very small carry-on and a school-sized backpack. I'm wearing a pair of jeans on the plane and packing another. I don't plan on doing laundry and have no problem recycling clothes (except undwear--I'm bringing one pair for each day).

What sort of clothing is appropriate for London, Prague, and Munich? I don't want to stand out as a tasteless American, but I'd like to travel light. I plan on taking a few skirts; can I wear those with slippers (read: flip-flops for you non-Hawaii people)? We'll be doing a lot of walking. I'll pack sunglasses, a watch, and an umbrella; are there any other accessories I'll need? We're staying in hostels and that means no jewelry for me. I'm not too concerned about the fashion part of all this, but I am a little concerned about practicality and convenience.

In England and Germany I'd say you'd be fine in jeans and a t-shirt or jeans and a button down shirt depending on what you are planning on doing. Most of the time in the tourist types of things they really don't care...they just want your money. Even things like going to the theater are rather casual in London because of all of the tourists. For not looking like an Ugly American, so long as you are courtious and not spamming the fact that you are an American (red white and blue everything) it really isn't an issue in my experience.

In Germany, definately try to learn enough of the language to at least attempt. A lot of the Germans do speak english but will be a lot more friendly if you at least attempt to speak German instead of going to straight to asking if they speak English.

I've never stayed in a hostel but when my sister was looking into them she said that they provide blankets and a bed but no sheets. From her research, one of the best systems was to get a non-fitted king sheet, fold it over, and sew up or put buttons up the bottom and side so that it worked like a sleeping bag.

Public transportation in London and the places of Germany I've been is really good. In London they have the Underground and most of those trains run about every 7 or 8 minutes and can get you almost anywhere in the city. The buses can get you everywhere else and if you get a day pass you can hop on and off anything with the underground symbol (to include most of the buses) as much as you like. I can't speak for the Munich train system, but in the other cities in Germany I've been to they are very easy to use. Everything is automated and on the honor system but day passes are available and apply to the buses as well. If you do get bus tickets that only apply to certain trips (round trip from one stop to another) you need to make sure to stamp the ticket when you get on.

Money: expect things to be expensive. Both the Euro and the are kicking the dollar's ass right now. The Euro isn't so bad and the places in germany I've been things came out to be only slightly higher than what I'd expect to pay back in the states. In the UK the spending power of 1 GBP is the same as the spending power of 1 USD. The only problem is that it is a 1:1.85 conversion rate and therefore you end up spending almost twice as much for the same thing. A painful transition but being able to spend Pounds as you would Dollars is the only way you can experience this country without being worked over how much things are costing you in Dollars.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sklent wrote:
Desire wrote:

And why should they hire you? Because you're hard-working, a team player but also responsible enough to work on your own/unsupervised, and you really want/need the job.
The last can be important because you'll be less likely to call out and leave them stuck and more likely to show up on time.

Okay, that helps, but what if they ask me why they should hire me over someone else.

by saying what desire suggests, and sincerely, the implication is (without actually needing to state it) that everyone else applying is a loser compared to you. because you the man.

confidence without obvious arrogance.
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skirts is great, take a pait of shorts/capris just in case and walk around for an entire day in your flip flops to make sure they don't hurt your feet. Rubber ones usually don't. In any case, always take bandaids.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guccipiggy wrote:
Skirts is great, take a pait of shorts/capris just in case and walk around for an entire day in your flip flops to make sure they don't hurt your feet. Rubber ones usually don't. In any case, always take bandaids.

I skimmed this the first time and thought it referred to rubber skirts. whups. Embarassed
Sklent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last question about job interviews:

Is it okay to ask the person to clarify a question? Or should I try to shoot from the hip much as possible?
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sklent wrote:
One last question about job interviews:

Is it okay to ask the person to clarify a question? Or should I try to shoot from the hip much as possible?

This is definitely ok.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i'm sorry sir what sort of question?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: