welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diet Evil 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Brain.Damage



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 1336

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author explains Hobbes's existence as a shift in perception.

Calvin sees Hobbes one way, the rest of the world sees him another.

Both are as real as any one person can say.

And I don't exactly get your point, are you saying that tigers aren't living things that can have opinions?
_________________
B.D.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Azmoten



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 2211
Location: St. Louis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys -

Shut up.
_________________
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
-Solid Jackson (From Jingo, by Terry Pratchett)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brain.Damage



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 1336

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lick a chode.

There was a debate about birds or something in an earlier thread, I think we can discuss Calvin and Hobbes for a bit.
_________________
B.D.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Azmoten



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 2211
Location: St. Louis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that makes any future argument okay? Cool of you!
_________________
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
-Solid Jackson (From Jingo, by Terry Pratchett)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blarg.



Joined: 05 Oct 2007
Posts: 118
Location: I'm in the tangent universe of course!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, "lick a chode," arguments about Calvin and Hobbes seem to appear a lot on here anywho. "You're such a fuck-ass" "Well you can go suck a fuck" "How does one SUCK A FUCK?!" "Oh you want me to tell you?" "OH please Elizabeth tell mehow." "(little girl) What's a fuck-ass?"

If every argument was like that (From Donnie Darko) I'd shit my pants luaughing so hard. These seem very close too, haha... Well anyways I think tigers are real (and I almost got a girl in my study hall to think elves are real), but I'm saying that somethings can appear different to others, and the others can be right.
_________________
"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10538
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarg. wrote:
Nice, "lick a chode," arguments about Calvin and Hobbes seem to appear a lot on here anywho. "You're such a fuck-ass" "Well you can go suck a fuck" "How does one SUCK A FUCK?!" "Oh you want me to tell you?" "OH please Elizabeth tell mehow." "(little girl) What's a fuck-ass?"

If every argument was like that (From Donnie Darko) I'd shit my pants luaughing so hard. These seem very close too, haha... Well anyways I think tigers are real (and I almost got a girl in my study hall to think elves are real), but I'm saying that somethings can appear different to others, and the others can be right.


Unless of course, ya know, Hobbes comes right out and says things like good and evil don't apply to him, which I'm pretty sure he does.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
thewaitersitsondown



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2673
Location: The walrus was Paul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to make a confession. I have literally read every single Calvin & Hobbes strip ever, including the bonus work Watterson did for some collections. Nearly 10 years on from the time my sister and I obsessed over the comic, I could probably still be given almost any one panel and tell you what happens in the rest of the strip, and in some cases provide exact quotes. So let's be clear that I am reasonably well-suported when I say:
Hobbes. Does. NOT. Pick. On. Calvin. Hobbes' role in the comics is to provide the voice of reason. The classic C&H setup runs like this: Calvin describes a conclusion/scheme/revelation etc. that he has recently come up with. It is self-serving and fallacious. Hobbes plays straightman to Calvin, asking prodding questions until Calvin has expressed himself fully. He then points out the fatal flaw(s) in Calvin's reasoning, and punchline.
About the only instances of Hobbes actually being cruel to Calvin (And there are some) are A) very much in the spirit of friendship, and B) returned in kind by Calvin. Additionally, it is made abundantly clear that Calvin ultimately appreciates these traits. He loves the idea that he has a tiger for a best friend, and often raves about the same wild ferocity that causes him so many problems on occasion.
But seriously dude. It's a comic strip. I should not have to be explaining it to you. Hobbes isn't evil. He's just a character with a surprising degree of depth for a comic strip (read: he can do both good and bad things), which is one of the reasons Calvin and Hobbes was so popular in the first place.
_________________
TORTOISE RUGBY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ktern



Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 950

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarg. wrote:
I think tigers are real

Good for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Secret



Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 5429

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewaitersitsondown wrote:
The classic C&H setup runs like this: Calvin describes a conclusion/scheme/revelation etc. that he has recently come up with. It is self-serving and fallacious. Hobbes plays straightman to Calvin, asking prodding questions until Calvin has expressed himself fully. He then points out the fatal flaw(s) in Calvin's reasoning, and punchline.


Aw man, you've ruined the third book for me!
_________________
rm wrote:
the grail is patient.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bubble



Joined: 05 Jan 2007
Posts: 67
Location: Finland, the land of never-ending rain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkentelechy wrote:
He reminds me of kefka from FF6


Kefka is cool. xD
He just sounds funny when he's laughing.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
DeD CHiKn



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 10227
Location: Baltimore, Maryla*gunshot*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewaitersitsondown wrote:

Hobbes. Does. NOT. Pick. On. Calvin.


He does, not in an evil way though, in the friendly way. He isnt a jerk about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2443

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarg. wrote:
somethings can appear different to others, and the others can be right.

but have you ever considered that somethings can appear the same to others and the others can be wrong?
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brain.Damage



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 1336

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a comedic sense Hobbes indeed does play Calvin's straight man, but as far as the voice of reason goes... I don't think it's quite that simple.

Like I said before, Hobbes is just critical of Calvin's thinking because Hobbes is of another species. Indeed Calvin's thinking surpasses most adults nowadays the problem is that it's still very selfish and naive, so very full of human nature. Hobbes, not being human, has incite as to why what Calvin is doing is stupid in the sense that it wouldn't work in a society filled with logical people or indeed people as selfish and naive as Calvin. But of course we all know that society is full of people with their own selfish wants and desires who would never stand for someone as openly selfish as Calvin, eventually of course, once Calvin gets older and wiser he’ll either learn to discard the selfish ways or he’ll at least learn how to mask it in a way that he can put a more humanitarian front on his objectives. In the end I suppose you could say that Hobbes is like a natural philosopher observing human nature through Calvin, but lacking any discipline Hobbes's opinion is clouded by his own personal biases.

As far as reason goes, I've seen Hobbes give Calvin some very honest yet entirely erroneous advice, even some advice that might sound wise in some way but could never work in reality. Calvin’s math homework for example, “Imaginary numbers.” Way to make the kid fail at school Hobbes.
_________________
B.D.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blarg.



Joined: 05 Oct 2007
Posts: 118
Location: I'm in the tangent universe of course!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Blarg. wrote:
somethings can appear different to others, and the others can be right.

but have you ever considered that somethings can appear the same to others and the others can be wrong?


Well obviously, I mean most know that, they just don't see both sides.
_________________
"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10538
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain.Damage wrote:
As far as reason goes, I've seen Hobbes give Calvin some very honest yet entirely erroneous advice, even some advice that might sound wise in some way but could never work in reality. Calvin’s math homework for example, “Imaginary numbers.” Way to make the kid fail at school Hobbes.


In the end he is a part of Calvin after all, so he's only as potentially intelligent as Calvin is.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group