welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10-28-07 I'd Do Anything 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mini J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
It is extremely common, especially in college, for you to have to buy your own scantron forms for exams. But they also provide them.

Wait, what? is this true? I've never ever had to buy a scantron form ever, all the way through kindergarten through to post-graduate. Heck, the UBC psych department even has scantron forms that say "UBC Psychology Dept." on them. Is it just a states thing to pay for them?

oh, loved the strip, incidentally.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in a bookstore during my undergrad days and we sold them and I had to buy them for several exams I had to take.
Mini J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that really sucks. It blows my mind to think of being forced to provide test-taking materials at school (other than a pen/pencil). I suppose they just include the cost in our tuition here. what happens if you forgot to bring scantron forms with you on the day of the test?
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing as if you forget to bring a pencil?
I dunno. They're provided at my uni too. I find it really weird that you wouldn't just hand those out, you're going to the trouble of handing the test out anyway. And then you can ensure they'll all meet whatever your standards are.
Mini J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely!

And what's to keep everyone from 'forgetting' their scantrons if they provide them to students that forget them? that's what I'd do, I think.

But then I'm a pretty firm believer that education should be affordable for all, if not free. And forgetting scantrons certainly seems like a potent way to make that point, eh? Wink
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many professors would have a small supply available to buy on the spot if you forgot. But, if you forgot and have no money to buy one, you're SOL. They only cost like.. 50 cents or something similar.
Secret

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit, I went 'oh snap' a little bit when Slick took off the glasses. A good strip.

What the hell is with the last panel background, though? It's framed, with random stripes of color missing?
Shadic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it was done with water-paint, but the bits of white are odd indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Green_Finn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like watercolor to me, I can't fathom what those white strips are about though, unless he had something on the paper while painting to mark off the boundaries.
SubGothius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Strong dark lenses Reply with quote

I must admit, I was never quite sure whether Slick's specs were always shades or at least occasionally just regular eyeglasses, and something about the way Tat draws them sometimes suggested they may be thick "coke bottle" corrective lenses. Perhaps they're both? It seems like something Slick would do -- i.e., he has a strong lens prescription, so he had them made as tinted lenses to try and conceal/compensate for that fact and reclaim a little coolness/pride/dignity? Kinda like Roy Orbison, now that I think of it...
-J.R. "Bob" Dobbs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TestTubeError

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have to admit, I went 'oh snap' a little bit

That's too bad.
TestTubeError

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, a very unique approach to making the trees in the background. Jury's still out on whether or not I like it.

Oh god. I am on the edge of my seat. PLEASE PLEASE hurry and let us know your decision.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the text in the last panel is totally slick - _way_ too macho to admit (even when there's no one around) that he's got a tear in his eye. because deep down, he really loves her, and he _is_ trying, but his timing sucks. and the trust thing - that's a big line to get back on the right side of.

i really like the arwork - the trees, and yes, even the streaky white lines on the last panel. i think they are deliberate, for effect.

the last panel reminds me of some chinese ink paintings - you get the paper wet, and load the color, and depending how you do it, you get areas of different color intensity - in this case, areas that suggest clouds, even though they are blue. maybe you do the same thing with watercolor, but i've never done watercolor.
ktern

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think his reply to her request to take off his glasses should have been to ask her to take off her pants.

Of course that's not happening either, but still.
ZigZag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girls are always testing us, but mostly they dont tell the boy he was tested. There are "Love Tests", "Trust Tests", "Truth Tests"...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: