Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1537, 1538, 1539 ... 1703, 1704, 1705  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? I totally draw creepy fanart, too. Just not sinfest related. And I don't post most of it here because reasons.

Yeah. That just happened.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow

that's hot
Mizike

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Dog Raine needs to be in there somewhere.
Willem

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I can't stop myself. What rampant misogyny? The only one I can possibly write down to be misogynist (or at least a blatant race-baiter) would be SA_Penguin, the other one being Necronner. Motorcycle is just naive and stupid, not misogynist. Do you see misogyny everywhere now, Willem? The SCUM manifesto = insane, Andrea Dworkin = insane. Here's a few quotes from Andrea Dworkin on men:

Quote:
"A commitment to sexual equality with males is a commitment to becoming the rich instead of the poor, the rapist instead of the raped, the murderer instead of the murdered."

Quote:
"Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating."

Quote:
"Only when manhood is dead - and it will perish when ravaged femininity no longer sustains it - only then will we know what it is to be free."

Quote:
"Seduction is often difficult to distinguish from rape. In seduction, the rapist often bothers to buy a bottle of wine."

That's right. 'Seduction', in her mind, is a prelude to rape. And marriage?

Quote:
"Marriage as an institution developed from rape as a practice. Rape, originally defined as abduction, became marriage by capture. Marriage meant the taking was to extend in time, to be not only use of but possession of, or ownership."

Rape. Rape and slavery.

Oh, just go ahead and read the rest: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/andrea_dworkin.html

Andrea Dworkin was a lunatic. A mental case. If you take these statements of her to mean she was any kind of feminist champion, you're an even bigger ingrate than I thought. And it beggars belief when you take a list of 'male privilege' seriously. Are you serious? Finally I really wish you'd piss off with your moral crusade against all things that you deem to be horrible.

it's like christmas came early! damn yo, look at santa's eyebrows and forehead!

Seriously though, Guest, I'm not even jumping down people's throats for saying 'cunt' or something, I'm responding to literal misogyny. I think the problem is that you're probably using the narrow (read: wrong) definition of misogyny. ie. actually hating women and being horrible to them. The definition I use - and the one that's used in gender theory - actually encompasses a lot more. A big difference between the two definitions is that one only leaves room for the more blatant misogynists, while the other can include those who are just misogynist due to ignorance or because their privilege has never been challenged.

Now, I'll point out to say that I never intended to make a misogyny.txt list, it was just a list of terrible posts. Like you have Motorcycle's post about hating 'being preached at', which is basically privilege.txt. If we use the first definition of misogyny, he wouldn't be a misogynist because there's nothing explicitly misogynist (or racist) about it. However, by ignoring his own privilege and complaining about people confronting them with his privilege (and the manner in which they do so), he's being racist/misogynist/privileged. In his mind, it makes perfect sense. He never had to defend his own race/gender, so why should other people? But that's comparing apples and oranges. So he's being racist/misogynist, even though he probably doesn't want to be. I'd point it out to him in that thread, but most of the time, people hate being confronted with their privilege and just hunker down into their opinions. (which is what he did when shadowcell engaged him) The term, if you're interested, for what he's doing is 'mansplaining', by the way. 'No, you see ladies, this is how you're supposed to fight patriarchy'.

Personally, I'm more annoyed by this second type of misogyny, because most people let it slip by - which wouldn't be the case for the first definition. Look at it like dog-whistle racebaiting as opposed to setting crosses on fire.

joandark is just one of those dull apologists. 'let me apply my pure, male reason to this and look! rationalisation and false equivocation time!'

Now, I'll defend most radfems. I haven't read the SCUM manifesto, so I can't really argue much about that, but I'm guessing it's agitprop and provocation. Like that 'die cis scum' business. I'm not sure if Dworkin is the radfem people love to complain about, but if she is, she - like most radfems - is often misunderstood. Comes with the territory of making such provocative statements. But you'd be wrong to just take them at face value. Was she the one that's always brought up because of the whole 'sex in patriarchy = rape' thing? Because I can defend that, but right now I'm off to see a film. be back later

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
no, your hatred for each other is actually just sexual tension and your boners that seem so inexplicable to you are actually caused by Guest's single-minded moral crusades over one issue to the complete exclusion of morality in all other spheres

My objection, solely, was to Willem's apparent delusion he's the arbiter of this forum. Dennis, of course, being our loveable idiot and troll, stirs the pot for his amusement, and I'm the "single-minded?" Willem's assertions of "rampant misogyny" due to some odd notion of feminism he has acquired, holding Andrea Dworkin in high esteem, calling for people's exclusion because they're "horrible people", are given a pass, while curiously I'm the one with the moral crusade? I'm also wondering about your insights into my "complete exclusion of morality in all other spheres?" Is it that you have an infinite amount of strawmen in your arsenal?

On the bright side, at least you've affirmed once more I'm not the dumbest person here. On topic, that's my pleasure.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so many boners

christ, Dennis, you need to slather him with your love some more. calm him down a bit.

Guest perhaps you are misunderstanding something here (a common theme, i know) but Willem is the one trying to actively substantively engage you, a gesture in which we all know he is doomed to fail but much like a departing kamikaze pilot we must salute his strange courage nonetheless. i am just mocking you, because i have things to do which are better than trying to actively substantively engage you but not better than mocking you and also much more time-consuming.

just wanted to clear that up!
Sam

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest, the degree to which you frequently have no clue exactly how you are acting is what turns you round the bend from exasperating into the incredibly surreal. I forget whatever the hell it was was being talked about the last time I really legitimately tried to argue with you in good faith but by that time your habits were notorious enough and repetitious enough that I prefaced it by saying that I knew I was probably just walking into a very predictable trap. You proceeded to act the pitch-perfect image of dunning-kruger and, no matter what you thought you were doing with your whinging, showed that it is easy and perhaps entirely fair to dismiss you as an unwittingly comic act. You have no idea what you are doing, and you persist in a displaced sense of arrogance and confidence as though you are doing nothing which has consistently earned you this reputation of yours. This is what is going on and I do not have any other way to try to help encourage change but for what it is worth even as I rightfully mock you for being a bizarre and clueless gorm who cannot make a fool of himself in oft-righteous button issue conversations, it would be nice if you were moving beyond being like how you are now and it would be something I can only encourage.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boys. Seriously. I get that this is an interesting discussion but it is REALLY inappropriate for this thread.

This thread is for things that bring us endless glee.

Like this:

Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is hawt. Willem and Dennis fighting over Guest, I can die a happy muppet.

And don't undersell yoursell Samsally, your art is great *bow*.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By your powers combined, you could eradicate your foes in the Sinfest subforum. Put aside your petty differences and join forces to stamp out evil. The Sinfest Avengers needs you!

Actual pleasure: All the Lego sets arrived and my co-teacher and I have been enjoying playing Legos. When did Lego people get hair pieces?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Guest, the degree to which you frequently have no clue exactly how you are acting is what turns you round the bend from exasperating into the incredibly surreal. I forget whatever the hell it was was being talked about the last time I really legitimately tried to argue with you in good faith but by that time your habits were notorious enough and repetitious enough that I prefaced it by saying that I knew I was probably just walking into a very predictable trap. You proceeded to act the pitch-perfect image of dunning-kruger and, no matter what you thought you were doing with your whinging, showed that it is easy and perhaps entirely fair to dismiss you as an unwittingly comic act. You have no idea what you are doing, and you persist in a displaced sense of arrogance and confidence as though you are doing nothing which has consistently earned you this reputation of yours. This is what is going on and I do not have any other way to try to help encourage change but for what it is worth even as I rightfully mock you for being a bizarre and clueless gorm who cannot make a fool of himself in oft-righteous button issue conversations, it would be nice if you were moving beyond being like how you are now and it would be something I can only encourage.

I've been called jabbering, single-minded and clueless but never confident. That's a new one. I can well take the mickey out of myself, but unfortunately I'm being backed into a corner because I don't let being called jabbering and single-minded slip. I'm sorry I'm not the amusing monkey you think I should be.

Quote:
Guest perhaps you are misunderstanding something here (a common theme, i know) but Willem is the one trying to actively substantively engage you, a gesture in which we all know he is doomed to fail but much like a departing kamikaze pilot we must salute his strange courage nonetheless. i am just mocking you, because i have things to do which are better than trying to actively substantively engage you but not better than mocking you and also much more time-consuming.

You're confused. I seem to recall the times you "substantively engaged" me was strawmanning me into leaving the discussion. That's not really engaging. By the way, I understand it's too time consuming to back up your insults with logic. Oh, and I'm mocking you back in case you haven't noticed. The difference is that I'm justified in my ridicule.

Nevermind. I like Sally's art.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god man you are adorable

i think i see where Dennis's shameful secret love comes from
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
I'm not sure if Dworkin is the radfem people love to complain about, but if she is, she - like most radfems - is often misunderstood. Comes with the territory of making such provocative statements.

Also with the territory of making kinda crazy-sounding statements. Yeah there is criticism that she said heterosexual sex was almost always akin to rape, and that was indeed not really what she said.

Dogen

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's another forum-spanning argument. I, also, would like you guys to STFU and/or GTFO. Go argue in the "infection" thread in the comic subforum.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure: I have the day off, and it's gorgeous outside. I want to go read a book in the park or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1537, 1538, 1539 ... 1703, 1704, 1705  Next
Page 1538 of 1705

Jump to: