welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1616, 1617, 1618 ... 1717, 1718, 1719  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooth pull went beautifully. No issues. Miniscule swelling. And the valium they had me take has me in quite a happy mood. All the pain killers have worn off (except the mobic which is always in my system) and I am feeling no pain. I have hydrocodone if I need it but I might not need it. I can worry a bit about the blood clot forming properly but not a whole lot I can do about it.

I even got frozen custard with strawberries.

Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky! gah, i hope my wisdom teeth pulling is going to be as easy :/
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still doing fine though I had a hell of a headache today. Of course, they did prescribe me heavy duty pain killers just for this. Whoo!

For wisdom teeth - I have been quite lucky. The first one they did cut out and it wasn't great but it wasn't super horrible. Pain was minimal and swelling was minimal. The fucker of a blood clot didn't form properly so the gum filling in the hole took a while. So the trick is to brush everything except that area and instead clean it by careful flossing.

The most recent pull was just that - a pull. I have tiny bits of bruising and I have to keep the damn thing clean (salt water rinses FTW)* but otherwise I am fine. I am being good and only having soup (with cheesed up mashed potatoes at the bottom) but it isn't a big deal. The goal is to not have anything that can get tiny and stuck in the hole because digging stuff out is bad. Some ice is nice to keep bruising to a minimum.

*Salt water rinses really are for the win. Helps get the crap out AND promotes healing. Yay salt!

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stated to become conscious during my wisdom teeth being extracted (had all four done at once) but looking back it was kinda cool and makes for an amusing anecdote, but then again I'm weird like that. As I came to I heard them say "He's coming to, increase sedation" and I passed back out.

Also, Las is right, saline solution is your friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was awake during all of mine. Now, I didn't have four out at once but I had both cutting and pulling. Didn't feel a damn thing.
absoluthoyt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
Kitten wrote:
that's pretty awesome. it's always nice to see someone deserving win something grand. very appropriate for the upcoming holidays

Yeah I'm just worried for them because they live in Missouri and that state makes the winners be identified and the news crews have basically turned over every stone about him and his wife so that everyone and their mother knows.

I hope they're left in peace to enjoy it. Smile

Which is why in the very unlikely event I ever won a big jackpot I would be a freaking ghost right after claiming the prize
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pint

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
I was awake during all of mine. Now, I didn't have four out at once but I had both cutting and pulling. Didn't feel a damn thing.

I was awake for all four of mine. The creepiest thing was when the dentist needed to use the chair for leverage... AND I swelled like a basketball.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a completely ridiculous and wholly unscientific piece of code, but I can now run really basic cardiac tissue simulations on my cell phone's GPU Smile Smile Smile
Dro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going to be the hot new app of the Christmas season!
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! This is like, exactly what everybody wants, right?
Jinx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pint wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:

I was awake for all four of mine. The creepiest thing was when the dentist needed to use the chair for leverage... AND I swelled like a basketball.

Army dentist? They pulled all four of mine, and I was awake for all of them, too.

For the first one, which was the only on pulled in that session, the dentist, who was a small-ish man, climebed into my lap, kneeling on my thighs, to try and get leverage to get the tooth out. At one point, he had the . . . pliers? . . . in a firm, double-handed grip, and was whipping them side-to-side trying to dislodge the tooth. The only effect was to basically pull my head side-to-side in a somewhat surreally comedic episode.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dentists keep implying I should have my wisdom teeth out and I keep asking them why. They sort of mutter about how they could possibly throw my other teeth out of whack and I just stare at them dead eyed because my orthodontist was so bad you can't even tell I had two years of braces anymore.

Other than the -possibility- they could throw off my other teeth, I have yet to get an actual reason.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is ADA recommended to pull them, even if there really isn't a good reason for it. The reasonable dentists I have gone to see no reason to pull teeth if there is no distinct reason to pull them. My dentist said to leave them in until they bother me. When I got a gum infection, I decided it was time to pull the fucker. He also said it was common to pull all the wisdom teeth because only having them on one side can give you headaches from an uneven bite profile (happens if you get teeth filled too because your jaw has to get used to it and it can be much worse with wisdom teeth). Pretty much if you are keeping them clean (food getting stuck back there is a common problem), there isn't any reason to pull them. If there is a good reason, it is usually quite obvious (pain!).

I have one tooth that may never erupt from the gum line. No reason to go digging it out if it isn't coming in sideways.

mouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hygenist kept insisting that i get mine pulled because if they got cavities "the dentist will have to take them out in pieces". i figured i would wait until they actually got cavities, but then they took some xrays and the teeth were basically sideways, so i figures what the hell. didn't really have any issues with having them pulled (they gave me some stuff where you aren't technically out because there is no anesthesiologist, but you are totally unaware of what is going on).

now, however, i am having issues because the enamel of the molars that were up against the wisdom teeth is thin, which apparently was ok when the wisdom teeth were there as they protected them, but now i am having to brush with special toothpaste and use the ultra-healthy mouthwash, and i'm thinking i should have just let the damn things be.

oh, and i still have one wisdom tooth (i only let them pull the top ones, and one of the bottom ones never came in) - no problem with headaches.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they stay clean and they don't hurt. I don't get headaches often (despite only having 3 wisdom teeth, apparently the fourth just never bothered to form) and I just can't justify it.

The most painful thing about my wisdom teeth is listening to the dentist and his assistants tut over them in a vaguely condescending way.

I keep going to different dentists, too, and they all kind of annoy the hell out of me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1616, 1617, 1618 ... 1717, 1718, 1719  Next
Page 1617 of 1719

Jump to: