welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1640, 1641, 1642 ... 1722, 1723, 1724  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
dazedb42 wrote:
How did the meet go?

Smoothly, picking her up tonight.

Duuuuude! That's awesome! Did they talk about all the anxiety and stress she's going to be under? To not let her off a leash outside for 3 or 4 weeks? That her personality will soften, and she may have accidents, and to be super patient as she learns that you're her new pack?
Dro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach a class about next-gen sequencing. We do little projects as part of it. I am always encouraging them to do something fun, but the little overachievers instead want to do something related to the lab they work in, or might be part of their honors thesis instead. But this year I really pushed the fun part, and finally some people are thinking slightly creatively. One group is sequencing the bacteria in people's mouths. The set is a woman living with her boyfriend (plus the bf's mouth bacteria), a woman living with a dog (plus the dog's mouth), and a woman living with a dog that is a self-professed lover of constantly smooching her slobbery dog (plus her dog). It does make me curious to see how the bacteria get around. Another group sneaked some food out of a slightly self-righeous vegan restaurant and are looking for traces of insect DNA in the food. Another group is sequencing their poop bacteria after eating a mega-chorizo burrito. They seemed really enthusiastic about collecting those samples, weirdly enough.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, Dro teaches the coolest shit!

Seriously, that is really cool.

Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
DeD CHiKn wrote:
dazedb42 wrote:
How did the meet go?

Duuuuude! That's awesome! Did they talk about all the anxiety and stress she's going to be under? To not let her off a leash outside for 3 or 4 weeks? That her personality will soften, and she may have accidents, and to be super patient as she learns that you're her new pack?

This is the weirdest thing to read if you forget that it's about a dog.

Dro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Soon tofu". Something about that super soft custardy tofu just fills me with the kind of ardent desire I haven't felt since I sat next to Susie C.'s fuzzy pink sweater in 10th grade. I want to go to the different Korean restaurants in town to try their versions, otherwise I want to get out our hotpots and make a seafood or beef broth to cook it at home. Totally obsessed!
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I did something I should have done over a year ago and I feel SO MUCH BETTER! I've been so scared and yet I finally did it. When I told myself I'd do it tonight, I didn't actually think I would. But I told myself to suck it up and I just did it. And it went well. I mean, it didn't go the way I would have ideally liked it to have gone... but that's life. Definitely a weight off my shoulders and now I can move on. Granted, there is going to be a mourning period and I'll mostly likely cry at least once.

In short, I did something super scary for me and now I feel better. I no longer want to crawl into a ball and roll away forever. (Maybe down some hills, though, because that sounds like fun!)

Also, all of my friends are amazing.

Desire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you were able to face your fear Patty, though I am sorry you will be sad.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
DeD CHiKn wrote:
dazedb42 wrote:
How did the meet go?

(un)Funnily enough, she has gone after Henry 2 times so far. He got a little too curious and she snipped him in the face. He's actually scared of her now, which is heart breaking because I've never seen him shy away from other dogs. I corrected her each time and put her in her crate til she calmed down. She showed no aggression when they were meeting before, so I am chalking it up to nerves, she just has to learn not to bite.

We have a personal friend who is a dog trainer though, going to hire him to help her out through the adjustment period.

I went to let her out today and all she wanted to do was lay in bed and get under the covers, which is adorable.

She's also quite a velcro dog already. This mornings walk/jog she never left my side and kept the leash slack.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a friend of mine adopted a dog and it became possessive of its kennel after a week or so, snapping at her other dog whenever it came near the kennel. It got bad enough that she thought she wouldn't be able to keep her, but after another week it eased and then went away. Now they sleep together.

I love the term velcro dog. It applies perfectly to collie/shepherd breeds.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrophy Annie wrote:
I no longer want to crawl into a ball and roll away forever. (Maybe down some hills, though, because that sounds like fun!)

Like I said before, say the word and I'll be in a ball right beside rolling down some hills.

I'm glad that facing your fears has been worth it and that things are improving. It's great you have such amazing friends, just make sure you let them know that once in a while (in the off chance that you haven't mentioned it recently). I regret not having done so myself before the opportunity passed.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you are feeling better now, patty. and it's perfectly normal to cry even more than once when mourning something important (which is sounds like this was). i hope it just keeps getting better.

and ded! how did i miss that you got the dog? MAYBE BECAUSE I SEE NO PICTURES. and i'm sure she will get back to being cool with henry. new house with new people with new dog with all kinds new things can be a bit stressful; hopefully she will learn quickly that her life has settled down now, and she can relax.

a friend of mine is about to seriously look at some dogs (her old dog died about 4 months ago) - so i may have a new (second-hand) dog in my life soon.

i think i want to retire, so i can get a dog.
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, there's a local ethnic restaurant that finally went public about the vandalism and racist threats that they have been receiving. In response, a number of local residents and businesses organized today as a "cash mob" where people who support the business all order from there, with the opportunity to win prizes (donated by the same business). So, we joined in and ordered dinner from there.

+ Yay for the community fighting racism!
+ Totally fucking delicious Indian food. There is no ethnic food I like so much as good Indian food.
+ Paired it with Fringante, a tasty specialty beer from Unibroue.
Tahpenes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vox Raucus, that is awesome. Not the vandalism and racist threats, of course, but the community response. I'm also terribly jealous, because there's no place around here that serves Indian food.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no good Indian restaurants here, which is too bad, because I love it. One of the ladies at work cooks the most amazing Indian food for potlucks, though. Easily the best I've ever had. She constantly asks if we want her to bring something and we're all like, "OH GOD, PLEASE!" One time she confided in me that she didn't know why all of us white people like her cooking so much, "it's not even as good as your McDonald's." I almost died.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, we still don't have a good Indian restaurant and that makes me sad.

At least we've been getting more and more super tasty sushi places though, which is pretty impressive, considering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1640, 1641, 1642 ... 1722, 1723, 1724  Next
Page 1641 of 1724

Jump to: