welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1672, 1673, 1674 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the campers drew a ponified version of me.

... It is frighteningly accurate in its "Somehow looks like me while still being a pony" sort of way. I shall upload it here one I scan it. It is also adorable.

EDIT: Furthermore: Some of the campers are flipping smart. One of the girls came up to me asking about relativity (... this year's mystery was related to time travel, and someone had actually written clues about relativity, wormholes, and how that could make a time machine).

I begin to try and explain time dilation, using the light-clock-on-a-train example. And she understood-I *know* she understood, because she was, at several points, able to piece together where I was going next in the explanation and ask me/state what came next.

This girl is entering the ninth grade. I almost choked on my drink when I learned *that* part. She very likely hasn't even been exposed to calculus yet (I don't think?... Oh god middle school was so long ago), and she can grasp, at least on an intuitive level, time dialation. She seemed to really enjoy my trying to explain stuff, too.

Lastly, a large number of the girls seemed quite aware of feminist issues-A small group of them kept talking/trying to talk to me about the filibuster in texas. I should again note, these were girls that would probably not be able to vote for about *four years*, and they seemed quite politically aware. (Though granted, they said part of it was because it was 'all over tumblr', BUT STILL)

Unfortunately, I could not engage them in this discussion-politics is.. sort of a "Reaallly shouldn't discuss this with campers" issue, for reasons I understand. Still, it was heartening to hear them talk about it, and discuss other things with them (pointing out that Moffat, even if unintentionally, seems to be a bit condescending towards women with the 11th doctor, etc.)

So yeah, camp was really rewarding! Which it had BETTER be, given the exhaustion and stress it induces. =)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
3D Printer is in shipping.

This is gonna be fun. Maybe I should make some Sinfest inspired prints.

OMG WHAT ONE DID YOU GET YOU ARE SO COOL NOW! O_O

If you want to do a Sinfest print, maybe make a flying drone?

PrintrBot LC v2, 6x6x6" printing area, with a heated print bed, unassembled.

I can't wait for it to arrive.
Also, the drones would be perfect. I'd probably print the wings separately though and make them fit into holes in the body. Would be an easy and fun calibration piece/paper weight.

Very Happy YES! You could also make one light enough to hang from the ceiling so it can proper spy on you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

Also, the drones would be perfect. I'd probably print the wings separately though and make them fit into holes in the body. Would be an easy and fun calibration piece/paper weight.

i think the sinfest christmas gift exchange this year should be you sending one of these to each of us.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad brought me some cheese curd from Canada. Poutine is on the menu tonight!
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a company kickstartering a $600 portable machine that looks like it will actually work well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deezmaker/bukito-portable-3d-printer-take-it-everywhere?ref=category

I look forward to the day there is an iteration that costs like $20.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
There is a company kickstartering a $600 portable machine that looks like it will actually work well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deezmaker/bukito-portable-3d-printer-take-it-everywhere?ref=category

I look forward to the day there is an iteration that costs like $20.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pirate3d/the-buccaneer-the-3d-printer-that-everyone-can-use

The Buccaneer is (or was, they've sold out of pre-orders now) offering a small build size printer with decent precision for $297. Also, the ability to print from a mobile app (utilizing a library of user-generated plans, I'd imagine) is somewhat intriguing.

Anyways, MakerShed has confirmed my printer should arrive in approximately 4 days. Currently trying to hunt down some 3mm PLA filament in black and maybe glow-in-the-dark blue.
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performed in front of an audience for the first time in 12 years. Felt good.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you looked like you knew what you were doing on Facebook. Since this is the pleasures thread, I assume there were groupies?

EDIT: spelin ar herd

Last edited by Dogen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, if only... Nope, this is here because I think I did a decent job, as opposed to my last public performance where I totally choked.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for getting on stage and rockin' out. Any plans to do it again?
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tentatively, yes. We might get together sometime and practice on a few songs for the sake of me jumping in on another performance from time to time. Nothing above and beyond that so far.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of my job today was to watch a parade and take pictures. WOOH.

Then there were subs. Not just subs, but a mix including vegetarian subs. And when they asked who wanted to take home leftovers, the vegetarian subs were left mostly untouched. So everyone at my house just had awesome lunch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cats have become my sons, it is official. I keep making pictures of them and cooing over their accomplishments and scolding them when they do wrong (despite the fact that they give no shits when you talk to them).
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished an art request for somebody and it's sitting in their inbox, awaiting final approval. This is an obligation (which I volunteered for) that's been hanging over my head for two months so it feels good to be out from under it.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, good fair this year. I got to see a 6foot tiger back his nutsack up to the chain link fence of his enclosure and piss all over the line of fat rude american stereotypes that were jeering at him from the other side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1672, 1673, 1674 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next
Page 1673 of 1717

Jump to: