welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1683, 1684, 1685 ... 1708, 1709, 1710  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a call for an interview. Details with held for now in case of jinxing myself.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, ignorant question - how much of normal computer functions can tablets handle? i guess i'm thinking mostly of email, word processing/Excel -

so here's the think. i have an elderly all-in-one that seems to be dying. i found a decent looking wireless all-in-one at a not-outrageous price, but for windows XP it wants at least a Pentium II processor, and my not-so-elderly-but-no-spring-chicken-laptop just has a Pentium (although it has all the RAM and HD space the printer wants). my younger notebook seems to have an Intel Atom(R) chip, no idea what that equates to. i really don't want to buy Yet Another laptop because my old one still does everything i want and i am seriously broke and i would probably need to learn to use windows 8 and stuff like that. and also move everything.

mostly, i want to print things in color from Word (or equivalent) documents (mostly the posters i make up for yoga classes), some stuff from emails, some stuff from web browsers (like direction on how to get to places OK I AM TOO CHEAP TO GET A GPS SYSTEM), income tax returns that have to be sent out - like that. so i would need to be able to get files onto it via email or thumbdrive, something like that. i really don't want to buy another laptop because i am seriously broke and i would probably need to learn to use windows 8 and stuff like that.

unless HP just wants me to buy a new computer and the printer will really be fine with a Pentium chip.

also, good luck DeD!
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your Atom laptop could handle most of what you want. Google Maps might be slow and pokey. Have you tried doing your normal stuff with it?

But when you say "Pentium," do you mean like the original early 90s chips? The 2003-2008 Pentium M's? Intel has kept the name and put it on a ton of newer, but lower-performance, chips for the last half a decade or so. Unless there's more information you could share with us there's really no telling whether your old laptop is more powerful than the Atom-based one or not.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the old one is a Dell Inspiron 1150, circa 2005, the newer one is an HP i got - maybe 4 years ago? does that help?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good chance your Dell is the more powerful of the two. Atom chips were designed to be very cheap and "good enough" to go into netbooks.
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part tablets, and more importantly the apps that run on them, are designed to be "good enough" to get you by until you can get to a "real" computer. Not all apps are designed that way, but as far as productivity is concerned, it's the general rule. There are actually a couple of cheap (~$100) tablets at Walmart that could handle a large number of your everyday tasks just fine, but honestly, my first suggestion would be much cheaper as in free. Mint Linux is a free OS that you can load up on any of your aging computers and would probably bring a fair amount of life to them. I believe you can even run it off of a thumb drive without installing it/wiping out anything already on your computers. I haven't used that particular flavor of Linux myself, but I've heard plenty of good things and it's the next one that I'm likely to try. There would be a bit of a learning curve, but no more of one than switching to a tablet or Windows 8. If you decide to try it out, I would offer my self as tech support to get you started if you needed it both because I don't want to lead you astray and it would give me a sense of how easy it is to use for someone that's not self-proclaimed tech-savvy.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A printer driver just doesn't take that much oomph. If it's compatible with the Pentium, the only question is whether your laptop (either) supports the software used to print wirelessly. If it can physically run on the computer, you're most likely fine. We're talking about a tiny program (mine is 541kb).

EDIT: mine is a Brother, though... and I've had really stellar luck with them
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ring is just... glorious.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen - actually, you make a good (if unintentional) point - i was thinking of this printer because i was in staples looking for something else, cruised down the printer aisle and was surprised to see one that did everything i wanted for such a low price - which means if i actually did some research (e.g., checking out brothers), i might find something even better.

thanks, all!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through my first day of courses today. My machine architecture course seems like it will be interesting, we'll be dealing with MIPS architecture and embedded systems.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Dogen - actually, you make a good (if unintentional) point - i was thinking of this printer because i was in staples looking for something else, cruised down the printer aisle and was surprised to see one that did everything i wanted for such a low price - which means if i actually did some research (e.g., checking out brothers), i might find something even better.

thanks, all!

Low-priced printers usually gouge you on toner/ink (moreso than all toner/ink is gouging already). If you don't print a whole lot but do use the scanner frequently, it's not such a bad deal. By the time you run out of ink it might be cheaper to buy a new printer instead of replacing the cartridges.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a canon something or other that also has a scanner. A new one is about $20. The ink is about $20. So mostly we have it because it is a scanner, and because we like imagining that we could print ALL THE THINGS - but then we never can because holy crap ink prices.

I should hire a squid to print things for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i was trying to talk my supervisor into buying a color printer when mine had to be replaced (i keep making lovely figures in color to demonstrate how very much simpler it is to see the difference between colored lines than between different types of dashed line) because if she had gone for it i could have just printed everything at work which would have been really cheap for me but she didn't go for it.

so i just keep emailing her pretty colored figures she has to print out in greys.

the main thing is the yoga posters, maybe i should just take them to kinkos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1683, 1684, 1685 ... 1708, 1709, 1710  Next
Page 1684 of 1710

Jump to: