welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1686, 1687, 1688 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it to the farmer's market! I didn't actually sell a thing, but getting down there itself was a feat, and I now have a good idea how to ensure that I'll sell some things in the future.

It is so awesome that this happens to be a way of interacting that works well with my own personal brand of social anxiety.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a couple months off from spending a lot of time online. Needed the break.

Currently working out again with little to no pain. Smile

Competing in a competition at work to be the best of the year.

Missed some sinfest!
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we missed you, Pint! *hugs*

My pleasure? I'm getting into Welcome to Night Vale. On Episode 15 now. It's...interesting.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jwadd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I made it to the farmer's market! I didn't actually sell a thing, but getting down there itself was a feat, and I now have a good idea how to ensure that I'll sell some things in the future.

It is so awesome that this happens to be a way of interacting that works well with my own personal brand of social anxiety.

at the farmers markets here you need a permit to sell anything... how does it work where you are?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

at the farmers markets here you need a permit to sell anything... how does it work where you are?

Here if you want a booth you have to pay fees, but the sidewalks leading up to the market are free and legal to use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god. Raspberry Pi + RaspBMC = $35 home theater PC with support for all the cool stuff.

1Channel aggregates streaming video and lets you watch pretty much any movie or TV show whenever you want for free. It has support for watching Youtube videos. It plays just about any format of music or video off of an external hard drive or network drive. It accepts a usb mouse or keyboard and standard usb wifi dongles. It can stream radio (or last.fm). And it has 1080p output over HDMI.

Seriously, if you're handy with computers and were looking to get an appleTV or a smart TV or any kind of streaming box or HTPC, get a Raspberry Pi instead.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The couch is gone the couch is gone! Very Happy Finally there is space!

The cats are upset they no longer have the couch to sun themselves on, and I'm not sure how they'll manage, what with the many other things to lay upon we've set up for them.

Also, I have delicious mulled cider and homemade cinammon rolls. And! It is officially fall!

Today is a very good day for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mulled cider sounds great!

*HUGS for Mr. Meddler*
Mini J

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall things are going well lately; we're going to Denmark and Germany for three weeks (leaving this sunday), I'm gainfully employed and have paid off about $20,000 worth of student loan debt in the past year (only $25,000 more to go!), we purchased a new camera (our first "fancy" camera, i.e. entry-level SLR), making new friends, and hopefully moving back to Vancouver next year (though I've finally gotten to appreciate Toronto, even if it's no Vancouver).

And also excellent, Pint is back!
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, Vancouver! And, you know, all that other stuff, too.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy working with my teacher.

He's forwarding my resume to some of the people he knows that work at labs around the state. No guarantees or anything, but at least he is trying.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old workplace just voted in a union. They'd been working on it since before I left for school, and I tried my best to talk up the idea to everyone I could. It was a huge vote - the entire hospital, with the exception of the RNs (who are covered by a nurse's union), is now covered by the SEIU. That's a lot of votes to get.

I hope the SEIU kicks the hospital's ass in negotiations. They went year after year without raises, insurance prices went through the roof this last year, and floors were working with ridiculous staffing (one CNA for 29 cardiac patients).
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got interviewed for a job today. Programmer for a research project on-campus. Interview went really well, and apparently they need someone by the end of the week and I'm their only interviewee so far.

If I get it that would be awesome. I have no idea if I receive any pay or anything, but I want it just for the work experience.

Also, woo Vancouver. Glad to know I'm not the only one from the rainy city.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
My old workplace just voted in a union. They'd been working on it since before I left for school, and I tried my best to talk up the idea to everyone I could. It was a huge vote - the entire hospital, with the exception of the RNs (who are covered by a nurse's union), is now covered by the SEIU. That's a lot of votes to get.

Hope your union is better than the one here. All it is here is guaranteed job security. It's basically impossible to fire a union employee, even in events of physical assault. Threats against your manager? We just move you to a different department, that manager is obviously being unfair to you.

A while ago my wife was a lead support associate and got into an altercation with one of her employees. The girl cornered her and berated her for having the audacity to help her stock a room (you know, the girls job in the first place). My wife complained to her manager and, when he did nothing, HR. All they did was move the girl to a different department, one that conveniently my wife still had to deal with, and the union threatened to sue my wife for discrimination.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awful, and I think things like threatening to sue someone for protecting themself from harassment is also awful.

On the other hand, individual employees have very few protections in at-will states, and the hospital administration had been treating them like shit for years leading up to the vote. They almost voted in a union about 8 years ago, but admin promised things would be different and created annual bonuses that were only for non-union staff (because wages are part of the labor contract for unionized staff). Then the bonuses stopped getting paid (they were tied to annual benchmarks that we passed every single year, then mysteriously never passed again after 2008), and started treating non-union staff like shit. People would quit and never be replaced until units were working with dangerously low staffing. In my job we were, per hospital policy, to monitor no more than 44 patients each (two people in the monitor room), but were sometimes monitoring over 60 (one person in the monitor room, who couldn't even pee without calling a nurse to come take over for them). Staff started complaining about affects on patient safety during biannual "town hall" meetings with the CEO. Then they stopped having town hall meetings. So, if they were worried that a union would negatively affect the business, or morale, or whatever, they had plenty of opportunity to avoid it. They just chose not to, so the staff did what it had to do to protect itself and patients.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1686, 1687, 1688 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next
Page 1687 of 1717

Jump to: