welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1688, 1689, 1690 ... 1712, 1713, 1714  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something . . . Amazon needs to hire their own Turks to categorize the qualifications
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an easy way of upping my qualifications. There are a lot of low paying but easy tasks, so I take a bunch of them at a time. I did 30 of them, and then by the third day I was up to 50. That qualified me to write short articles (200 to 1000 words.). Between what those pay and how long it takes, I can now make $6 or more an hour. I'm trying to up my stats more, though, so I have better opportunities.

The audio transcription pays the best, but the article writing is easy and I can get plenty of those. So I think I'll try to qualify for more audio stuff, but articles are probably going to be my mainstay - mostly because they aren't boring, since each topic is different.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I found an easy way of upping my qualifications. There are a lot of low paying but easy tasks, so I take a bunch of them at a time. I did 30 of them, and then by the third day I was up to 50. That qualified me to write short articles (200 to 1000 words.). Between what those pay and how long it takes, I can now make $6 or more an hour. I'm trying to up my stats more, though, so I have better opportunities.

The audio transcription pays the best, but the article writing is easy and I can get plenty of those. So I think I'll try to qualify for more audio stuff, but articles are probably going to be my mainstay - mostly because they aren't boring, since each topic is different.

Well, considering how the freelance market has gone to shit, this seems like it might be a good opportunity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally. I wanted to write articles before for money, but all I could find was doing marketing via ezine articles and Squidoo. Which is fine for some people, but not for me. I prefer to just write, get paid, and wash my hands of the rest.

I didn't verify my account in time, so Amazon is suspending my payments till I fax them a copy of my ID. No big deal. But they suggested if I didn't have a fax machine, I could use a free online fax service - which is basically the same as emailing a fax but through a third party. That doesn't strike me as any more secure than emailing it to them myself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the reception of the fax that's important for weird legal reasons.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay. I'm tp glad to hear there is a good reason.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
It's the reception of the fax that's important for weird legal reasons.

I feel like I should have known this.

... Damn though, now I'm even more curious.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

hm. we are talking about a project that would use Turk, the person who is the expert in that suggested we all sign up just to get a better idea of how it worked.

i may have to see if i can use it as a way to do some writing.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police are so efficient! Unlike our freaking insurance companies.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Submitted my first 7 hours of time at my new job.

Hopefully I can get more hours in this week and next now that security has given me access to the lab and I'm more settled in now.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

hm. we are talking about a project that would use Turk, the person who is the expert in that suggested we all sign up just to get a better idea of how it worked.

i may have to see if i can use it as a way to do some writing.

Cool, would love to hear how it turns out for you.

After a few days I called Amazon, and it turns out they never received my fax. So after using one of the efax services, all is right with the world, and I was able to do some jobs last nights. I was a bit tired and thus slower, so only managed $5 an hour then. I'll be getting back on schedule now, though, and doing this in the middle of the afternoon, so I should be more productive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to hear about it, I'm considering using Turk to help cover some upcoming expenses.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a grad student getting married, I too am curious, as any way to grab some extra income could be handy.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Submitted my first 7 hours of time at my new job.

Hopefully I can get more hours in this week and next now that security has given me access to the lab and I'm more settled in now.

Scratch that someone bungled some paperwork somewhere so the University doesn't have the "approval" to pay me yet. Which means I won't be getting paid for submitted hours until probably November.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Whips out handy dandy turk proselytization pamphlets*

Since I've been doing it for about 10 days now, I am totes qualified to educate all interested parties on Mechanical Turk. So read on and then go become rich (AKA maybe earn a few bucks.)

You can sign up at www.mturk.com
I signed up sometime last year, so I don't quite remember the process - but I'm pretty sure that you just use your amazon account for it.

Once you are signed up, you can look for HITs, which are the jobs. (I don't know what HIT stands for, and I don't really care.) You can look for ones that you are currently qualified, and you can sort them (by how many there are, how much they are worth, etc.)

There are some metrics you are measured by. The two that are important are your approved rating and the number of HITs you've submitted that have been accepted. A guy named Oscar Smith (The Ebenezer Scrooge of Mturk) is literally the only person who cares about your 'returned' rate (The number of jobs you return because you discover after accepting them that you can't or don't want to do the job.)

Because the approval ratings are so important, you'll want to take care not to screw it up. An easy way to screw it up is doing a bunch of jobs for someone you haven't done any for before. So before you do any HITs for someone you don't know, check them out on Turkopticon.

http://turkopticon.differenceengines.com

This is a site that allows Turk workers to review requesters. If they don't show up there or if you still think they're worth a shot, try doing one or two of their HITs. That way if the HITs are rejected, your rating won't suffer too much.

Qualifications:

A lot of requesters want a certain number of HITs accepted and/or a certain quality rating before they'll let you work on their stuff. Most of the good HITs want 90%, and the really good ones often want you to have a 'masters qualification', meaning you've done 1,000 or more HITs. An easy way to help improve both scores is to take some of the easier, quicker, lower paying jobs. If it takes a couple seconds and you can't screw it up, and you trust the requester, then great!

Some things require you to request qualification. Audio transcription usually involves a test. Many others don't - they just want you to click a button. Try getting a lot of qualifications, because that just means more jobs for you.

Getting approved:

Some requestors can take forever to approve your stuff. (Forever being more than a day.) Many do it the same day. So try not to stress while waiting to be approved.

Finally, if you're serious about it, check out this forum:
www.mturkforum.com

This is the best forum for Mturk as far as I know, and some of the requestors post there in designated spots. It's a great place to ask questions and see some of the pitfalls other people have fallen in so you know to avoid them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1688, 1689, 1690 ... 1712, 1713, 1714  Next
Page 1689 of 1714

Jump to: